Can YOUR wife handle the P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Packer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Paymeister has graciously given permission for me to post this:

(Today at 08:52:04) Paymeister has sent you the following Personal Message:

->*<-

Hi Paymeister. Welcome to KTOG! I appreciate your kind words and I'm always glad to have been of help to a fellow KTOGer.

I need some more information please: What is the extent of your wife's firearm experience?

I would happily recommend either P3AT OR PF9 if your wife has experience with semi-auto pistols, but I DON'T recommend these as a first time gun. If she has never fired Semi auto before, you might want to start her out with something like the Walther P-22. I like this little semi-auto because it can have a short barrel and be fired either single or double action. (by manually dropping the hammer between shots.)

Shooting this for awhile would give a beginner the confidence to handle the squirrelly little P3AT or the PF9 hand cannon.

Either of the light Kel-Tecs are prone to operator induced malfunctions if not fired with the requisite stiff wrist--And would need practice to prevent this--even with previous heavier semi-auto experience.

Maybe some other KTOGers will share THEIR thoughts on this subject?

Happy Shooting to both of you!

Packer.

->*<-

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Answer....NO

2 shots and she was done.
    No malfunction just did not like the bite.

Her experience.
    These are guns she did not give up on and shot well.

Bersa .380
    Ruger P90
    CZ 75 compact 9mm

Hope this helps and welcome

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wifey yes. With the exception of a few magazines of a Ruger 10+ years earlier it was her first time shooting a semi. I made sure it was fully functioning and handed it to her - 4-5 magazines later she still had a hot smile on her face and made me drive her to the store and purchase her own.

Not what I would recommend (I wanted to buy her a J-frame), but then again her FIRST motorcycle was a large, high BMW 750 too... If she does it, she goes right to the expert level.

-Scott

4. Ziggy

Ziggy New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    My wife? Well, my husband can certainly handle it. As for me, the P3AT was the first gun I had any experience with, and I have fun at the range practicing as often as I can. And I'm one heck of a better shot with it than he is.

5. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    +1 TPP! I totally agree with everything Packer says especially his advice about beginning with a .22, either the semi auto he recommends or a good double action revolver.

The four women in my family who carry prefer the P32. They can shoot the P3AT on the range but when under pressure with a less than ideal grip they have found the P32 more reliable.

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Well it's pretty even both ways so far. I will add: If you go with the P3 (AT OR 32) put a grip extension on it. That will make it MUCH more controllable. I don't like the hook kind and favor the +1 extra round from KT myself:

[​IMG]

Packer.

7. sfd_324

sfd_324 New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Mine liked the P32 better! ;D

:'( so much she took my new Hard Chrome :'(

Left me with the old blue one ::)

8. boatman

boatman New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    My wife fired two rounds in my P3AT and handed it back, shaking her head NO. The web between her thumb and first finger had some skin missing. I have not been able to talk her into shooting it again. When she shoots, which is rare, its my Ruger P95DC. I'm still working on her but I may get her a P32. SHe may not shoot that since it looks so much like a P3AT.

9. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Just to give you a fix on my wifes shooting. She has shot and enjoyed a Ruger Security Six,.357, Ruger blackhawk .357 and a Redhawk .44 mag. She deer hunts w/ a .243 and will shoot a 12 gauge mod 12 when the family is together shooting blue rock. She took my P32 and loves it. She has shot every gun in the house and she loves the .32 . She is good with it and though she has no trouble with the P3AT she stays w/ the .32 .

I'd try to find a friend who has several choices for her to try out and let her be the judge. My .02

10. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    My wife shot my P3AT for the first time last night. She is a good shot, but she doesn't like the gun. It hurts her lower knuckle on her thumb. (The thumb knuckle where the webbing between your thumb on pointer finger starts.) I am guessing that during the blowback of the slide, and the recoil, the gun kind of jumps and the slide hits her there. She did shoot 6 full shots and put every shot in the center of a paper plate at 7 yards. She has the same problem with my P11 and HATES my P11 and will probably never shoot it again. It does the same thing to her thumb but much worse. When I first got it, I think she shot it twice then handed it back to me and told me she didn't ever want to shoot it again. I don't know if it is a limp wrist problem because she handles my Ruger P89 just fine with NO problems. I think it is just the small gun and her style of shooting. Anyway, she did OK with the P3AT and will probably shoot it again. We also have a Walther P22 (.22 caliber) as mentioned by another poster and it is a great gun for starting out on and learning how to shoot with.

To FATMAN that said the 4 ladies in his life liked the P32 the best WHY?

Maybe I need to get the mag / pinkie extension for my wife. I don't want or need it, but if it helps her, I should buy it.

I will probably buy one anyway...just because I seem to enjoy buying the Kel-Tecs. But I would really like to find a small easily concealed gun that my wife will be comfortable enought shooting that she will use it....and then carry it. Is the P32 easier to handle? I would assume it is. I want her to have a decent size caliber gun and I know its not the caliber of the gun that causes her problems. I guess I have an excuse to keep buying and trying different guns. "Sorry Honey, just trying to find a small gun you like!"

-PW

11. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    My wife CAN shoot the P3-AT. Does she? No...she just doesn't like it and doesn't want anything to do with it! It wasn't so much about recoil bit for her, it was a control issue...she was worried it would flip out of her hand. She also hates the long trigger pull.

A gun she really likes? The Bersa Thunder 380. Very ergonomic, great trigger, very comfortable. I think it makes a good first centerfire carry pistol. I would start someone out on a .22LR pistol or a revolver for learning, but the Bersa is also a great gun for that. Small but not too small, and very little recoil, and it fits the hand really well. A good, fairly inexpensive design.

The Kel-Tecs are more, well, advanced...I can shoot a lot better and a lot longer with the Bersa, but I can't conceal the Bersa every day, so I have to make compromises.

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    the short version,

yes, the wife can shoot it

no, she does not like to shoot it

yes, she trusts it as a BUG/Last resort gun only

she also carries, depending on the job, a M&P 40c, M&P 9c, glock 26, glock 27, glock 22, xd-40 (what she was wearing when princemorr2003 came to visit and he didn't even know)....

or a small j-frame.

you do not have to like it, just be proficient enough to get off 7 rounds where you NEED them...

FWIW, YMMV, ET AL, ETC, SHOOBIE DOOBIE, SCOOBIE DOOBIE DOO, etc...

13. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Might try some pads and grip from here. They help tame that P3AT down some. I like mine.

http://www.aglaser.com/grips/order.html

[​IMG]

14. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    those pads with the hogue hand all work great.

and the extension, ANY VARIETY, make a world of difference too.

15. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    My wife hardly shoots very little, about once a year. I got her to shoot a couple of shots from the P3AT and she didn't want to shoot it anymore. I had her try the P32 and she finished the about 3/4 of a box of shells.

My 14 year old daughter likes to shoot guns, rifle, shotgun, pistol. I started her with one mag of P32 then a mag from the P3AT. She decided she likes the P3AT better than the 32.

Every shooter is different. IMO the P3AT might be a little much for someone without prior shooting experience. One way to help is the finger extension, it does allow better control and helps with the recoil flip of the P3AT. Hand in hand with the extension is a rubber slip on grip. One members wife loved shooting the P3AT after he installed 3 layers of inner tube to the grip. Grips are available from a couple of manufactures or you can do the tube grip, I have one on my PF-9

Check out this thread for more info on grips.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158886280

16. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Negative.

That's why I kept my 2 P-32s when the P-3AT came out.

17. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Not onyl can my wife handle the P3-AT, she bought it before I bought my P-11! She had the same sore spot in her hand after firing fifty rounds through it, but she keeps plowing away. To be completly honest, she does better with the gun than I can and likes it better than I do. What's funny is that I think my P-11 kicks less, but she HATES it! I mean HATES it! She fire two rounds and hasn't touched it since. Funny how that works. ::)

18. FMJ

FMJ New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I bought a P3AT for my wife and after she shot 3 mags, she handed the gun to me and said that she didn't like it because of the recoil. It had a finger extention and a Hogue grip on it to boot. Bought her a P32 after that and she likes it much better. Turns out her favorite gun is my Glock 26, but it isn't as concealable as the Kel Tec's. She has shot numerous handguns in different calibers previously, but just could not get used to the P3AT.

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I find the comments interesting, especially in light of the original question as to the ability to "handle" the weapon and not necessarily "does your wife LIKE the P3AT?"

What we are seeing is something that I have heard people say time and time again about the P3AT (and to a lesser extent the P11/40 and the Pf9) and that is that this is not designed to be an enjoyable range gun.

Its a fine line because you have to "like" it (or at least deal with it) enough to become proficient at it but this isn't a weapon you have to like. I wish I could claim the phrase but somebody else here said it long before me: Its designed to be carried a lot and shot a little. If your wife can deal with it, will become proficient at it, and will carry a lot because of its size - maybe it is right for her even if she doesn't "like" it.

-Scott

20. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    True, but "can your wife handle it" is only one of the important questions. Not all women (and men) are quite as focused and serious about these sort of things, and my wife, for instance, is serious about self-defence, but is unlikely to ask for a second magazine full at the range if it is an uncomfortable gun to shoot. Sure she could carry a gun like that...one that she's run a magazine or two through...but how much better to find a gun she is willing to spend time practicing with and *interested* in actually shooting. I don't crack the whip and force my wife to practice with a P3-AT, but I'm happy when she shares my interest and actually spends time with the Bersa. She's INTERESTED in that gun, and likes it, and is willing to learn the details of its operation. That makes a definite difference.

Now, on the other hand, if one's significant other is willing and interested to work with a micro pocket pistol like a Kel-Tec, then by all means encouragement should be offered! It certainly beats those little Beretta .25 acp and .22LR guns.