Can you tell if p3at has new Hammer Block

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by roberta42, Sep 24, 2008.

1. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Is ther a way to tell if my p3at has the new style hammer block using snap caps,
    without taking the gun apart. I searched for "hammer block" but could not fiqure
    out the answer to this question.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Look in the FAQ and VIP postings, the last link in the tech section

How to test.

pull trigger and HOLD all the way back.
    Rack the slide to reset the hammer (3/8" is enough)
    slowly release the trigger till you feel the first click which occurs about 1/2 trigger travel
    now pull the trigger
    IF you see and hear the hammer just drop from reset...you have old stlye

I'm not really sure of the details, but IF the trigger can not be pulled back (or if nothing happens when it is pulled back) ...you have the new

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Pull the slide back then pull the trigger then release the slide. That way you don't have to dry fire the gun. Slowly release the trigger till you hear the first click. Then try to pull the trigger. If you have the old hammer block the hammer will fall (light strike). If you have the new hammer block you will not be able to pull the trigger until you totally reset it (the second click). All the new ones in the gun stores I've looked at recently had the new hammer block.

4. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks for the information and replies

When I rack the slide and pull the trigger,
    then let go of the slide, release the trigger to the first click
    I can not pull the trigger back unless I use a lot of force.
    I than let the trigger all the way and the trigger clicks again.
    This must mean I have the updated hammer block, but this p3at
    is nine months old and I thought the new hammer blocks were
    only installed on newer guns?

5. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I'm betting you have the old one. After you have racked the slide and allowed the trigger to go forward to the first click, if you can then pull the trigger and release the hammer you have had a light strike. If you then [without again racking the slide] allow the trigger to go fully forward it will NOT reset and when you pull the trigger it goes back and does nothing. You have to then rack the slide a little to get it to reset. That's the old one.

If you have the new one--after you rack the slide and allow the trigger to go forward to the first click, if you then pull the trigger the hammer won't fall, and you can then allow the trigger to go fully forward and it will function normally without having to first rack the slide.

6. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Yes, I can release the hammer after the first click, I have to pull a little harder on the trigger but it does release the hammer
    and when I let the trigger go all the way forward the slide has to be racked to reset the trigger.
    So, I will install the updated hammer block, Thanks

7. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    My P3AT is just a few weeks old. The above mentioned method of checking is correct. When you release the trigger to the first click, you cannot pull it back to release the hammer. However when you let it go all the way forward, it then works fine.

Bo

8. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Roberta, when you call customer service be sure to emphasize you want the NEW UPGRADED version. I did, but they still sent the old one to me the first try. I think the person is now more knowledgeable.

9. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Yes I will do that, Does anybody know if the new hammer block is the same for the p3at
    and the PF-9 I have got one of those also

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    And guys remember when you are checking out your trigger you can pull hard enough to break the trigger. It is plastic after all.

11. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    One last point I cannot figure out.
    If the updated hammer block is installed and you let the trigger out to the first click
    Can the trigger be pulled back all the way to the trigger guard and it just will not release the hammer
    or the trigger can not be pulled back at all from the first click position.

12. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

It can't be pulled back at all.

13. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks Possumgray

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    This is what KTWM, our resident Kel-Tec Engineer/Employee, called "locked up tight."

-Scott