Can My "old" 2nd gen be turned into a "new" 2ndgen

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Guambodian, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I have an older 2nd gen bought in Jan 2005, and a new 2nd gen bought this past weekend. My question is this; Can my older pistol be "upgraded" to the same level as my new pistol? I know my newer pistol has several improvements like the new extractor and hammer block, etc. Can these parts just be dropped in? How much work would need to be done (like on the ramp) to the older pistol if it is possible? I am no gunsmith and if I can't take it to Kel Tec (I live about an hour and a half away) or send it to Goldenloki or someone else with more experience then I probably wouldn't be comfortable doing it. Thanks in advance for all your help and please excuse any "noobness" or whatever on my part.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Can My "old" 2nd gen be turned into a "new" 2n

Are you having any trouble with the older pistol? If not you may just want to leave it alone, sometimes "upgrades" will cause more trouble than they are worth. If you do want to make the changes and have someone else do them I would call KT and ask if you can bring/send it in, I'm sure they will help you. Just be sure to tell them exactly what you would like done.

CJ

Welcome to KTOG

3. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009

I fired 100 rounds straight when I first bought it, and only had 1 fte early, but I'm pretty sure that was from me learning to adjust to the smaller grip. However, the slide locked in place recently when I tried to chamber a round. Even worse, it happened as someone was in the process of stealing my car and decided to try my front door.  That lead to me sniffing around for info. I went to the gunshow to find some info and ended up buying my newer pistol. I just want the older pistol to be on the same level as my newer one (parts, and design wise). If KT decided to make the changes, they must be important enough for me to consider. Also, part of the reason I'm posting here is to find out what exactly can and/or should be done. I need to know what is possible before I can ask KT or anyone else to work on my gun.

Thanks for the welcome and any/all help.

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009

Guambodian,

Don't have an answer to your question but it sounds like you were carrying without one in the chamber. Maybe this incident will help you reconsider that. Most people believe that one in the chamber is the ONLY way to carry. In the end it's your choice but I think I would be re-thinking that position if it were me.

5. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I upgraded mine with the new "anti short-stroke" hammer block and it was a drop-in upgrade which I recommend. Some shooters think it is not necessary. Can't speak to the extractor--never had a problem with mine.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

I really would give KT a call, they can tell you exactly what has been changed since you older P3 left the factory. I'd bet you could replace the hammer block but I don't know if there are any other changes. You stated that you don't want to do any updates yourself so you'll have to decide if the changes are worth the 8 week wait.

CJ

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008

Can you tell the old 2nd generation from the new generation by the serial number? If so, does anybody know how to tell. Just thought I would ask.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

If you are referring to old verses new 2nd generation trigger assemblies, scroll down the FAQ/VIP for a link to a post that gives the beginning serial numbers

9. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009

I wasn't carrying. I was in my living room and heard him start my car outside. As soon as the slide locked, I dropped it and picked up my Glock 17. All weapons in my home are kept cruiser ready. I carry both the 17 and P3at locked and loaded when I leave the house. It seems I might have to just go through KT. I don't mind the wait if it means my gun works correctly.

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Your first gen gun cannot be updated to 2nd gen, although you can install the new hammer block if you like. The slide that accomodates the newer extractor on a 2nd gen gun is different from the 1st gen slide. I think there are subtle differences in the barrel too. If you are close to Goldenloki, by all means let him tune that 1st gen for you. I am confident that he can make it reliable.

11. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009

Thank you TxCajun. Just to verify, you do mean that my old 2nd gen has a different slide from my newer 2nd gen, right? If this is absolutely so then I think I'll go ahead and put my older pistol back into my "gun fund". The dealer I bought the new pistol from offered me $150 for it, plus he agreed to ship for me. I do plan on sending at least the new one to Goldenloki, I'm just not sure what services to ask for.

12. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008

Thanks JFB, I found the link with the serial numbers for the new 2nd generation.

13. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

I'm pretty sure TX just misunderstood your question. He is describing the difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen guns. The G2 are all mostly the same the only upgrade I'm sure of is the hammer block and the ejector.

CJ

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

there is a little confussion since the the only change to the 2G has been the triggger bar.

you mentioned the extractor.  while there has been some old post talking about a better 2G extractor, that was just a very slight change in the final finishing of its manufacturing.  that would be the pointy tip verses round tip.  which point is the best is still up for discussion.  those that didn't get flawless extraction during break end would say they fix it by filling their pointy to a round tip or replacing their round tip with a new pointy.

now your date of Jan 2005 would make yours one of the very first 2Gs.  I beleive it would be the earliest reported.  If you don't mind what would be the first three of your s# and i'll add it to the base 34 post

15. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009

HFGxx hope that helps. My new one purchased 11/28/09 is KDHxx.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I added your old 2G to the small list in the base 34 thread

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

That is correct. I don't know of any changes in the slide among 2nd gen pistols. My bad, I was thinking 1st gen.