Call to KT - steel cased ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gunbunny, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Gunbunny

Gunbunny New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    In a discussion on the PF-9 list about whether to shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo, I called KT and was told........

"We RECOMMEND no steel or aluminum cased ammo. " Notice, it's only a recommendation and that was from non technical people.

This was fun. First I heard "the no steel, or aluminum ammo is in your user guide".  When I pointed out that it was not, I got "it's not SAMMI (hope I got that right) standard." When I asked how they knew that, I was transferred to Customer Service.

I don't recall the CS guys name - but all he could do is quote the party line. Seems the reason for brass only is customers sending weapons in for repair and reporting they'd been shooting steel or aluminum cased. When I asked for hard evidence or the written opinion of an ordnance engineer, I was told, "I don't have time to sit here and discuss it with you."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (edited)

I strongly suspect the reason they advise only a bit of +P and no reloaded is the recoil system. These things have a simple spring recoil system and using ammunition stronger than standard will cause the moving parts to beat themselves against the nonmoving parts.

So brass, steel or aluminum - help yourself. It's your pistol.

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Go right ahead, help yourself...if you ever have to send your pistol back to KelTec for repair...don't come crying to us when your warranty is refused by you using what they told you they didn't recommend.

YMMV, JMO

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    ultimately, its your pistol. do what you want. don't come crying or looking for help when it does not function as expected.

if the manufacturer says don't do it, well then, I would not. but you must have money to spare....

shoot away.

4. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    i used 1/2 a box of wolf and broke the extractor.if i were you i would listen to the guys on here,they will never steer you wrong :)

5. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Here is my personal take on the subject.

I have never shot steel cased through my P-3AT because I've heard a lot bad stories about it. Mostly failures to extract due to case swelling, and worn and/or broken extractors due to the hard steel case.

I have shot hundreds of rounds of Blazer aluminum with never a problem. For some time now I have been using it as my inexpensive range fodder. After I had shot a lot of aluminum with no trouble I heard of a few problems with aluminum, though I don't remember what they were. Didn't matter to me, because by then I was comfortable with it.

Bottom line - for range ammo I'll use what works well and is inexpensive. No steel, but if can find cheap ammo and it happens to be aluminum I'll use it without worry!

As I said, just my take - to each his own...

Bobo

6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    4 reasons I don't buy/use Wolf:
    - it is made in Russia
    - it is dirty and primers can be more corrosive
    - I've heard only bad things about it and it is not significantly cheaper than ammo made in America
    - shooting ranges in my neck of the woods don't allow it
    steel cased ammo is made for high cyclic rate automatic weapons; I can't fire my P3AT that fast ;D

my $.02

7. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    +1 on jfl's reply

Also see that you brought this discussion over from the PF-9 forum.

I understand your need for a "written" explanation but if the CS rep told you or infered that (quote you) "Seems the reason for brass only is customers sending weapons in for repair and reporting they'd been shooting steel or aluminum cased." That should be sufficient.

If steel or aluminum cased ammo was OK to use in these pistols I believe that he would have told you so, as well as the rest of the KTOG members on both the PF-9 and this forum Why then would you think he and the majority here was in your opinion "In other words, they're full of S*%T!"

Hope you don't have to make use of CS from KelTech.

8. Okeechobay

Okeechobay New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    In my own dealings with the folks at Kel Tec, both over the phone and in person (I visited the factory once), the only things I noticed they were full of were great courtesy, good information, and excellent customer service.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    This was started in the quote above from the PF9 section, this post is closed