Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original PF-9 broke at the 1,600 round mark.I sent it in and got it back with a hard chrome slide and barrel, new frame, and bunch of other new internal parts.

I now have about 150 flawless rounds through it, but am reluctant to shoot it too much now because of my prior experience with my first PF-9 breaking. I go the range almost weekly

But, I believe in practicing with what I carry, and the PF-9 is my EDC. I guess I could just shoot it and if it breaks again just send it back, but I worry that it will break when I need it to save my life.

Yes, I know that all guns can break, but the fact is that with a small, light weight gun like the PF-9, I believe that the more rounds through it, the more likely you will experience a malfunction.

So, what is the solution? Just shoot it and pray it doesn't break at the worst time, buy a Kahr CM9, or get another PF-9 for range use and shoot the EDC just enough to assure continued reliability?

What do the rest of you do, for whom the PF-9 is your EDC, and who, like me, want to practice a lot with what you carry?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I now have 2 PF-9s. My first, bought in 2008, has about 2000 flawless rounds through it and is my EDC. These days, however, I only put a couple of mags of JHP through it a couple of times a month to ensure it keeps operating properly. The second PF-9 I picked up as a "project gun" (it had given the previous owner a lot of trouble), rebuilt it with Kel Tecs cooperation, and now use it for my "practice" pistol. It, too, now operates perfectly though I still only run 50-60 rounds through it when I go to the range(several times a month) but that is enough to keep me proficient with this little powerhouse.

Jim R

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
If you must shoot a lot of rounds every month through your ultra-light concealed carry weapon, whatever brand it is, a 2nd copy is not a bad choice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have the 22LR conversion kits now for them. $200. but you'd save your gun and wallet. It's in the vendor section I believe. You could probably pick up a used one for $200. but still have the same worry and no decreased cost at the range. With the kit they send barrel/slide/spring/magazine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Once a month I shoot my two mags of carry ammo through my Kel-Tec. I use just regular old Remington 115 JHP because it groups like my practice rounds and cycles 100%.

I typically draw and shoot the mag in the gun then do a mag change to my spare mag and load the mags again. Any more becomes counter productive with this little pistol. I have a couple other 9mm pistols and a carbine and these get a couple hundred rounds a day sometimes.

It's not that I don't like shooting the PF, it's just that the longer I shoot it the bigger my groups get until it's not much more than wasting ammo after a while.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I practice with my G26 the most. It's built to hold up for that kind of shooting, I am sure that the PF9 and most if not all ultra lights were not built for that. But having a second one to spread the range time around with sounds like that might be a real good choice.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
sounds like a good idea that way you practice with what you carry

·
Registered
131 Posts
I shoot my PF-9 just enough to be comfortable with it.
(shot one mag last Thursday)

I have 10 other handguns when I just feel like burning some ammo.
Today's trip was a day for testing 7.62x25 Tokarev & 45 Colt (quite a combination, huh?) :D

Like the OP, I go once a week or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Personally, I would rather have two PF9's than any one higher priced competitor. The PF9 (size, weight and function) works better for me than the others.

Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have the 22LR conversion kits now for them. $200. but you'd save your gun and wallet. It's in the vendor section I believe. You could probably pick up a used one for $200. but still have the same worry and no decreased cost at the range. With the kit they send barrel/slide/spring/magazine.
Thanks for the suggestion, but won't I still be stressing the other parts, hammer, hammer spring, ejector, etc? Probably less with the 22LR ammo, but still doing so.

The cost of ammo is not a big issue for me, so the question for me is whether it makes more sense to get another PF-9 for range use or get the 22LR conversion kit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but won't I still be stressing the other parts, hammer, hammer spring, ejector, etc? Probably less with the 22LR ammo, but still doing so.
The hammer and hammer spring would be the major parts of the "original" PF-9 that you would be stressing. Almost everything else is in the new, replacement slide/barrel combination and the new mag for the 22LR rounds.

Got my 22 conversion kit in the mail Saturday, cleaned and lubed it, and took it to the range Sunday. Shoots very nicely. Sights on the new slide are somewhat larger and easier to see than the original PF-9 ones. Grouping was good. Overall quality of the components was excellent. Polished the feed ramp on the 22 barrel a little, but not much was really needed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Personally, I would rather have two PF9's than any one higher priced competitor. The PF9 (size, weight and function) works better for me than the others.

Good luck!
I would tend to agree with that. Make it 2 hc p-11's and it would be a deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts