Buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JBIV, Dec 24, 2008.

1. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Givin' the choice, for the same price of 269, would you go for black on blued, or black on hard chromed?  I went with the all black because it seems to hide better, but the hard chrome does look nice.  Also, I read once that you can send Keltec your slide and they will swap you the chrome for 20 bucks.  If not, can you order a chrome slide so you have the option to switch out depending on the mood?

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    kt stopped the swapping a couple of years ago....do a search for finishes, there are several options....my choice would have been the factory hard chrome...to buy a slide/barrel out right, you can get a whole gun...gpr

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll add to your remorse...

I too thought the blue/black was the best for a SD pistol. However I also had no choice when I purchased since that was the only one dealer had.

I was lucky enough to recieve a chromed slide (even though it had failed). After I tried a repair, I found the chrome slide being carried, The amount of "not black" that could possibly be seen in my front pocket is so minimun and is no way noticable.

So remorse and get over it, or Go but the chrome and black ;)

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    both!!! These things are more like hotcakes than ever before! One LGS wanted $339 NIB.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have two, a Blued/Black and a HC/Gray. My favorite? A Blued/OD! For looks would pick that color combination over anyother I've seen at the gun shops or in pics here at KTOG.

BTW, "There is no disputing taste.".

Take care...

6. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    other than factory hc, i opped for gun kote...easy to use, many colors to choose from, holds up well for humid, florida, every day sweaty pocket carry, and a $30 can will last a life time...gpr

7. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    What about Parker/OD? :p

[​IMG]

8. red71

red71 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Here's his and hers ;D

[​IMG]

9. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I like my Black with Blued slide just fine.

The hard chrome is flashy but as a pd gun flash is not what I am after. Even holstered and kept in a pocket there are times that a flash of chrome would be very bad. Sometimes I will tuck a small auto into a waistband with a string loop to help secure it and chrome is bad for this also. Also, any time I see a little auto with hard chrome I am brought back to the Chrome "Saturday Night Specials" and I just don't like reckoning my P3AT to a Davis Industries Pistol (not that they are that bad but not in the same class to me). Sometimes I will tuck a small auto into a waistband with a string loop to help secure it and chrome is bad for this also.

I'm not sure what the response of an LEO would be but I think that there are a goodly number of them would take a slightly less friendly mindset (LEO's who are not gun people are accustomed to responsible guns being black like theirs) and the bling factor is just not cool.

Now if we are talking target guns, show guns, collectible guns even second P3AT's just because we love them then Hard Chrome is grand. For me something basic and ordinary trumps the flash any time.

10. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    By the way red71, I do like the Olive grip, it has nice character without the bling.

11. phred

phred New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    For the same price, the HC might have been tempting, but I wouldn't be remorseful over the blued model at all.

12. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Park on black,

2 year pocket carry, first 7 mo w/o holster, still looks new.

Steamy New Orleans is hell on guns- you can watch them rust.

Park finish has exceeded my expectations

13. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    As long as it's a p3at you did good. They are all fine.

14. Whamo

Whamo New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Blue & Black guns are always in style...

15. red71

red71 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I wasn't sure at first, but the longer I have it the better i like it!

16. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    At the risk of being slapped on the knuckles for asking and not fully searching for this answer (sorry in advance to any moderators), are the olive grips available from KeltTec? I Do like the olive and it might be nice to have a spare grip around just in case anything should happen to the plastic on my carry gun.

17. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    On that theory you may just want to get an olive p3at in case anything goes wrong. That is my plan as soon as I can but I am thinking blue grip chrome slide if I can find 1.

18. rpm

rpm New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    +1 for all who say that any P3AT is a good P3AT!

They are HARD to find. In fact, I ended up with and LCP just because I couldn't find another 3AT (lucky day at Cabelas - definition of luck depends on whether you ask my financial adviser (wife) or me).

I have the parkerized, all black 3AT. The LCP is black with chrom barrel. My preference is the 3AT for carry.

There is no doubt that having no "flashable" portions of the gun is advantageous for me. I often get home after dark and, depending on where I've been, sometimes the pistol is in the stash hole of the van. I will often just keep it in hand (palmed) as I go to the front door because it is just not visible without very close scrutiny. Other guns have had to be transfered to the pocket or holster from the stash because they might flash.

Of course, I have a Para Carry 9 in stainless that is BEAUTIFUL so I do like shiny. But I don't carry it for a variety of reasons.

19. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Do the HC models hold up better than a blue or parked model? In terms of holster wear, rust, etc.

20. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Did you have to bake the Gunkote? If so, at what temp and for how long?