Busted rusted mainspring????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Autom8r, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Autom8r

Autom8r New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I haven't been around this forum in a while......

My first generation P3AT's hammer mainspring rusted out and busted recently. I called the K-T customer service line and they are sending me a new one at no charge. I'm REALLY glad I discovered it before I had to use it.

Has any one else had this problem???

One would think a company headquartered if Florida would use a stainless steel mainspring......

Dave

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Never had one rust out, but have had 2 break at the hook at the top. It still functioned since there was enough left to keep it in place. The only way I discovered each was when I actually removed the spring.

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Never had one rust but I've had one break at the top loop and disable the gun.
    It's rare but does happen and when it does there is no warning.
    This is the only real disadvantage of using an expansion spring as the mainspring instead of the almost universal compression spring used by everybody else. When a compression spring breaks the hammer strut contains the two pieces in position and the gun will most often continue firing.

4. Autom8r

Autom8r New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Mine broke right at the bottom at the retention pin, likely the result of a sweaty butt and salt air from FL trips.... I don't think it had been out of the DeSantis pocket holster in a coupla months.

Dave

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    How long did you have the gun before that happened?

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Well, that right there is your problem.

Holsters adsorb sweat and the salt stays there in it and attracts more moisture.

Add in salt sea air and it's a wonder the gun didn't rust in place inside the holster.

It's always a good idea to take the gun out of the holster when you are not carrying it. That allows some chance for fresh air to get to it and dry it out.

A spritz of Rem-Oil or something on the spring & other internals occasionally will help too.

rc

7. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
  8. handicomp

handicomp Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Sweaty Butt???? ;D

Really? I don't think we want to know how you carry concealed!! ;D :-? :-[

ROFLMAO......Ron

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I can understand what he's saying about sweaty butt, If you sweat like I do you'd get it too lol. There've been times i've been working in Florida and the sweat ring many people get half way down their shirt was at my KNEES. The upper half of my pants would have almost stood up on their own once they dried fromt the salt crust. I would have the same problem pocket carrying in that warm a climate.