Burrs in brass ammo carry casing

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by acts2florida, Jan 1, 2010.

1. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I've found that when I unload my P3AT for cleaning, the round that was in the pipe gets small nicks or burrs in it at the perimeter, rear of the casing. I assume this is from the ejection sequence. Are these nicks normal and might they cause a FTF/FTE? I rotate my ammo. Anything I should be doing differently or not doing at all?

2. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nope, small nicks from the extractor won't hurt a thing.

3. justintendo

justintendo New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    i noticed mine does the same thing...seems to still work ok

4. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    My 2nd generation also makes these burr marks and I was concerned that it could cause a failure of some sort.  Anyway after many ejections  to clean or inspect the firearm and then placing it back in as the first round it fired flawlessly so I guess it does no harm. I don't think I would rotate the ammo in the clip unless someone has a good reason that hasn't crossed my mind.  Happy New Year !!!

5. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks for responding. Glad to hear it's a common and normal occurrence.

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

The burrs and nicks are normal occurrence with the P3AT.  I would probably by a little more concerned with bullet setback overtime.  I typically shoot my magazine of carry ammo when I go to the range so that its not really an issue.  Rotating ammo by shooting is probably a good policy in any case as it lets you know if there is any problem with your carry round. ;)

Best Regards  :cool:

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    here is a link to a thread in the PF9 section about bullet set back worth the read

8. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    so based on the PF9 thread it appears I am doing the wrong thing by chambering the same round with the burrs already on it. sounds like rotation is the answer until fired and a fresh load is used. This is an interesting topic.

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My PF-9 and my P3AT both cause burrs on the rim. It doesn't cause any problems with the guns. But it does for reloading. I've actually had to take a file to a case to remove the burrs just so it would go into my shell holder.