Burr on slide frame

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by moabmike, Dec 26, 2008.

1. moabmike

moabmike New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Sorry to be a pest being a newbe to this site, but after 150 rounds I noticed while cleaning a burr (easily seen and felt) on the rear of the slide frame opposite side of the ejector.  Clearly no easy explanation.  The burr is on the top corner. Kel-tec is closed till 1-5-09so I figured i would put this out there and see if anyone has experienced this.  I would post a pic...but.. I don't know how to do it on this site. Maybe someone can point my dumbazz to the how to section.    By the way..Very good sight! Im on a few others and this one is very informative!  Thanks Mike  

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The triangle like ding in the frame opposite the ejector is NORMAL. Just scrape away the proud metal and It wil stop once just enough materail is removed. It is being made either the spent case or the tip of the extractor. At most it should be about a 1/16X1/16 that gets removed.

there are some pics some where (If I get time later)

IF it was made by R, you could send it back and they would machine that section of the frame rail away (a lot of metal removed) ;)

3. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    i wouldn't worry about it if I were you... and I was once. You can leave it alone, or you can sand it down. These little pistols aren't quite as smoothly finished as some higher priced pistols most people are used to. You are still in somewhat of a break-in period with the P3AT. A lot of people have had the same concern. Give the lil guy a goof Fluff & Buff and you'll be happy. Actually, if you don't want to F&B, don't. A lot of guys haven't and live by the mantra, "Clean, Lube, Shoot, repeat!" Here's some more info on the Fluff & Buff.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. moabmike

moabmike New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks Folks.... Love the little gun!!

6. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Hit the rough spot with a fingernail file, it'll be fine ;)

7. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks for posting this........ I just got back from running another 50 rounds through mine and notice the same burr while cleaning her. I was hoping i wouldn't have to send it away for some TLC so this is good to hear!

BTW, 115 rounds through the little guy without a single hiccup of any kind..... the only thing it needs is a laser ;D

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    try this, 600- or 800-grit sandpaper. smooth out the rough spots, remove no metal.

after enough shooting, the spots will wear in. that is really what you want, the slide and frame to mate together....

9. WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    FL
    3rd time shooting mine today, noticed the same thing while cleaning.. so I'm gonna file it down.

Only put 20 rounds through it today.. but no problems, love it. Got it home and did a nice cleaning once again, even cleaned the insides of the mags..

10. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Very true. I wanted to see how my new P3AT which replaced my old, unreliable 1st gen P3AT (for free!) would function without taking any tool or "fluff and buff" measures. All I did was clean initially, hand cycled about 100-150 snap caps/dry firing, then cleaned and lubed it again. Just shot 300+ rounds back in Arizona over Christmas with ZERO malfunctions with everyone from tiny women to burly men shooting it. No special instructions on how to hold it and the term "limp wristing" never came up...as I wanted. If it was going to choke, I wanted to see it do it with an "uneducated" P3AT shooter. Not one malfunction with several brands of ball ammo and Corbon and Federal hollow points.