Bunk mag release right out of the sealed box?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by WesKCMO, Sep 7, 2009.

1. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    So, I finally got my newest P3AT yesterday and it would appear as though my mag release is bad right out of the box. While at my FFL holder's house everything appeared to be in perfect working order, but then I got home and actually put ammo in my magazines and the magazine wont stay seated. I have tried three different brand new factory mags with and without the +1 ext... no luck. Then I tried an empty again just to be sure.. it appeared as though it was in but then I lightly pulled at the base of the magazine and it came out with little to no resistance. I looked through the magazine channel and everything appears normal.

This is so irritating... The gun came looking better than any black and blue I had ever seen from KT before (perfect finish, no marks) and to already have a mechanical problem :(.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Looks like DaveNC might be hearing from me faster than I originally thought.

2. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL
    Re: Bunk slide release right out of the sealed box

Do you mean MAG release? The P3 doesn't have a slide release.

3. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    hahaha... good eye. edit done. I was distracted when typing... haha ;D

4. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    If it's not holding the mag, it could only be the mag catch or mag catch spring. Being brand new, as painful or irritating as it my be, I'd say send it to Kel Tec and let them deal with it.

5. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    nevermind problem solved. After comparing to another AT I had, I noticed a little extra material attached to the release. I removed it and lightly lubed the release to get it movin smoother.

I had to seat the Mag a little more aggressively than I normally would in a KT, but it seems to be staying put. Maybe I'm just used to my wore-out broke-in ATs.

I'm still contacting DaveNC this week for a new release. stainless it will be. lol.

Now to the range this week.

6. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Check for excess flashing on the magazine baseplate which may be interfering with seating and trim it.

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Replacing the mag release is a pretty easy DIY replacement. It took me about 15/20 minutes including the field strip and re-assembly. There are nice instructions in the PF9 page under "disassembly and repair" it is the same as a P3AT. The frame dosen't need to be removed.

CJ

8. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    My new P3AT had a pretty cheesy feeling mag release too. (my only issue with the whole gun) So I just emailed DaveNC and got a couple of stainless releases for my new and old P3AT's, and swapped the new one last week. Like CJ said, about a 20 minute job with a little patience. The plastic mag release in my gun was all boogered up with excess flashing, and could have probably been easily trimmed up and tweaked, but I figured it was only coming out once. So I got ahold of DaveNC and he took care of me.

9. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yeah.. Getting a stainless mag release is probably the best option.

I got the factory release working for now, but DaveNC is getting an email before the week is over.