Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in building my first AR-15. Any advice from you guys that have already done this? Where is the best place to find the parts? Seems that many are backordered at Brownells and Midway.

Appreciate your input......

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Three companies making/selling aR-15 parts are DPMS, DS Arms and CMMG. Quality in all cases has been excellent and my current AR-15/M-4 build has a CMMG lower, a DS Arms barreled upper, and various other parts. All have excellent web sites from which you can order every thing you need to build an excellent AR except the lower (the serial numbered part is actually the part considered a "firearm). A good way to find a quality lower is a decent gun show. Usually one or more dealers will have several different lowers, in various stages of completion, from a stripped lower (to which you add your lower parts) to a complete lower with buttstock, grip, etc.

As long as you buy an assembled upper, no special tools are really required, and you can select just about any combination of barrel, stock, etc to make an AR suited to your wants and needs (and pocket book).

Jim R

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
AR Optics 1.jpg

Here is the most recent AR I built up from parts. As noted in my earlier post, the lower is from CMMG, bought as a stripped lower. Built using a lower parts kit from Daniel Defense. Upper is from DS Arms, with a 16 inch M-4 configuration barrel, 5.56 chamber, and 1-7 twist rate for the heavier 62-75 grain bullets I prefer. Furniture (stock, forearm, and grip) are all MagPul. Red Dot is Vortex, now mounted using a LaRue Tactical quick release mount. Front sight has since been changed to a flip sight/gas block combo with flip rear sight for iron sight back up. For a while I was using a 3X magnifier behind the red dot, but found that I had no problem ringing the gong at 100 yards just with the red dot alone, so removed the magnifier.

Jim R

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 3059

Here is the most recent AR I built up from parts. As noted in my earlier post, the lower is from CMMG, bought as a stripped lower. Built using a lower parts kit from Daniel Defense. Upper is from DS Arms, with a 16 inch M-4 configuration barrel, 5.56 chamber, and 1-7 twist rate for the heavier 62-75 grain bullets I prefer. Furniture (stock, forearm, and grip) are all MagPul. Red Dot is Vortex, now mounted using a LaRue Tactical quick release mount. Front sight has since been changed to a flip sight/gas block combo with flip rear sight for iron sight back up. For a while I was using a 3X magnifier behind the red dot, but found that I had no problem ringing the gong at 100 yards just with the red dot alone, so removed the magnifier.

Jim R
Very cool looking AR. I have the fever now. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My recent build... Way to damn expensive, so cost not included.. I am afraid to actually put it all in print together.... Ha!:eek:

Spikes Tactical lower
Daniel Defense lower parts kit
YHM Specter XL w/ 16” fluted chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel freefloat
Spikes Tactical ST2 Tungsten buffer w/ standard carbine buffer spring
Magpul UBR Stock
Magpul AFG2 fore grip
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul Pmag 30 x2
Magpul mag 20
Magpul XT Rail covers
OEM Rail covers
Magpul Enhanced rubber buttpad
Hogue full size grip cover
UTG Tactical Bipod
NcStar Mark III 3-9x42 illuminated Mil Dot scope w/red dot
Blackhawk heavy duty push button swivel
Condor Cobra bungee single point sling

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Building an AR is very easy. I get most of my parts from Midwayusa. Some parts do go on backorder, but they come available pretty quickly and midway tells you when they expect parts in stock.

I currently have an AR pistol under construction and I'm waiting for a part (Free float tube) that I ordered directly from DPMS... on MARCH 7TH!!! I'm starting to get impatient...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I built my first a few months ago. Went really well. The hardest part is the roll pins in my opinion. I used a pair of Vise grips to squeeze them in and finished off with a small punch. I got my lower parts kit from Palmetto State Armory. It fit well into my Spikes lower. I bought a magpul grip and stock as well. And went with a completed Spikes midlength upper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts