buffer spring through frame

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by blazin413, Sep 23, 2008.

1. blazin413

blazin413 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    hey fellas, I've been lurking around here for a couple of years. I've used tons of info from around here to work on my old p32, and my 3AT and sub 2k .40.

But now I need some help!

I took out my 3AT yesterday after about 4 months of not carrying it. After the 3rd round in my second magazine, I noticed that the smaller buffer spring was poking out through the hole in the front of the frame by about an inch.

Now, I've looked at some exploded views on kt's website and I'm not seeing any parts that plug that hole so the springs don't come out and I'm sure it was designed not to.

Any ideas?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome _______ (sorry, don't have a name for you?)

There were a batch of slide produced in late 2006/early 2007 that had been "over milled" at the guide rod hole.  You are correct, it was not designed for the springs to come out but it is designed for the guide rod to come out that hole.  This is commonly referred to as "peening" and if you do a search here for "peening" you will find WAY more than enough info on it.  

Many of us have placed a plastic washer in there (called a "JFB Washer" on this site) to act as a buffer and help prevent this.  It has done very well.  However once you are to the point of "peening" your slide really needs to go back to KT to be replaced.  They will cover it under warranty and you should only need to send them the slide, not the whole weapon.  

Here is a very bad example of peening:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

3. blazin413

blazin413 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Brian's the name by the way... Thanks for the quick reply.

I bought the thing new around the date range you gave (sn J3Pxx) so it sounds like that might be the problem. I'll look up peening and head off to home depot. Ive seen the threads, but I didn't know that was the name for it

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't think that HD will be a choice for washers. JFB had to put together a special design from a huge supplier to get the right ID/OD/Thickness combination. You can buy them from Princemore here on this board for less than $10/package of 5 (I think it's 5) that are perfect fits. But seriously I would consider that AFTER you get it replaced. Once the spring has come out you don't want to be relying on plastic only to make it function, at least not IMNSHO.

-Scott

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Brian, Have to agree with Scott on this. Once the spring has come through the guide hole you really need to send the slide back to KT for replacement. Also...Welcome to the forums...

John

6. blazin413

blazin413 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    damn... This slide was just starting to get that beautiful holster wear... LOL

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be shipping her off in the morning

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    would that be part #199 ;)
    [​IMG]

I haven't post too much about this....

But I got a deal on a peened slide from torrent.  As a test I drilled the hole out even more to the OD of the inner spring and to the step diamater of the washer.  thus there is only nylon washer suporting the inner spring.  

the reason I haven't post much about this, ammo prices have rapidly increased and I can't afford to burn ammo.  I have put 100 rounds or so through it and the nylon washer looks as good as new.  I even carry with this slide exclusively now

BTW, welcome Brian. to be able to access the trading post section where the washers are listed, you will first have to pass "the test" to see if you are worthy. so get posting and if you don't pi$$ too many people off and can make 25 post, you'll be granted elite status with privilaiges to the "trading post" and the grandest of all, the elsuive "Counter"

8. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Glad that worked out for you! :) It's unusual to see a HC slide peening but you will have that from time to time as there were a few in the bad batch produced in the time frame Scott presented. KT will also replace the slide for free if you send your old one back in. I bought mine outright and, as mentioned, sold it to JFB for testing. Blued slides are more common when one hears about forward spring ejection, BTW.

9. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    PM me your email address

10. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I had peening start with my J2Rxx. Didn't even notice until reading about it here at KTOG. Installation of the nylon washer has apparently arrested further peening. Will none the less send my slide in one of these days. Got a second P3AT (JPMxx) which still needs another 50-100 rounds through it before ready for carry, then send in the peened slide.

Take care...

11. The pic Scott (adamsesq) posted was of one of my slides. The only one that peened to the point of needing replacement.

I called KT Customer service and explained the situation. Then I stripped the slide of all parts, packed it up nicley with a note INCLUDING the serial number of the gun and an explanation of why I was sending it back, and then shipped it home. Less than a week later I had a brand new COMPLETE slide.

The use of the JFB washers has been shown to prevent excessive peening, but if the springs are poking out...send it home.

12. STOP THAT JOE--- Your confusing the kids! ;D

It took me 10 minutes and another cup of coffee to figure out what you did!

13. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    someone pmed me a emaiil address, who ever did can you re send the pm please.

Dan