Buffalo Bore - WTF, no more Gold Dot

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by wheelguy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Just received a shipment of BB hollow point ammo. As usual, I ordered type "27C/20 90gr" - BB's part number - expecting that I would get the usual excellent Gold Dot bullet that I have lots of experience with. To my surprize, however, all 3 boxes had some other type of bullet. Exterior and interior shape distinctly different from Gold Dots.

I suppose they are having trouble getting Gold Dots, and thought their customers wouldn't notice the switch? A bit deceitful, IMHO. Needess to say, they're going back. Too expensive for range ammo, and adds an unknown factor to an important SD quality.

Just a heads up to others who may expect to see Gold Dots on BB ammo. I'll add more info if they respond to my inquiry about this.

2. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ya can't return ammo.

3. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Where did you buy it from? I just noticed that Cabelas had the BB GD available... I'm curious about the bullet as well; is it just a traditional hollow point bullet? If the seller won't take it back, I would imagine you would have little trouble selling it on the trading post.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up WG.
    But I did just read their web page and the description no longer states that they use GD's :
    I hope they switch back to them in the future as I think the GD is a great jhp. I still have a few of the GD's left but when I test fired them my 3AT left some pretty deep smileys.

CJ

Edit: Stars and Stripes ammo(.com) loads a pretty hot GD in 380 @1070 fps. $40 for a box of 50. I've never tried their ammo but I've heard it's good stuff.

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Thanks for the tip! I ordered direct from BB. Even they were out of stock for a few months, so I'd take a guess that Cabelas et al might actually ship with the same "bonded" bullet - even though their store still says "Gold Dot". I'll try calling them to confirm.

Looks like Double Tap did the same thing, and may be happening in all calibers as well. I've got plenty of 357mag and 40cal, but only a few dozen rounds of 380 BB with the GD.

No word yet from BB, although I don't expect a reply this soon. My questions to them...
    1. How may I return these.
    2. When/will GD be back?

<edited to add> Just got off the phone with Cabella's. They say that their ammo is "new stock" so "probably" has the non gold dot bullet. He agreed that Cabellas web site likely needs to be updated.

6. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    :( Well, I almost ordered a box when I saw they were in stock. Now I'm glad I didn't.

7. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Have you thought about Cor Bon DPX?  Seems to penetrate deeper than the BB's in tests and expands every time.  They have some in stock @ Cabelas. I believe they have the Barnes X bullets if you want to load your own with a hotter load also.

8. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Finally got a reply from Buffalo Bore - bad news...

"With this ammo buying frenzy going on, Speer would no longer ship us God Dots and they don't know when they will have any Gold Dots to ship us. Until then we will use the Sierra bullet which in our testing, works great in the 380 auto.

On ammo, all sale are final and we cannot accept returns and then resale that ammo to some one else--this is federal law.

Tim"

9. Shrugga

Shrugga New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I just ordered a couple boxes from Cabela's and they shipped it out yesterday... i''ll post back and let yall know what I get. Anybody know anything about the Sierra bullet ?

10. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I almost order 4 boxes from Midway! Really glad I read this and I didn't place the order I came close!! Thanks for the heads up.

Tom J.

11. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    380 Buffalo Bore not using Gold Dots

There is an interesting post on the Seecamp forum regarding Buffalo Bore 380 ammo claiming to be using Gold Dot bullets, but using some other brand bullet instead. Everyone may want to check their Buffalo Bore to see what they have.

12. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
  13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: P3AT and Buffalo Bore 90GR Speer Gold Dot +P

b

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: P3AT and Buffalo Bore 90GR Speer Gold Dot +P

Dang, wrong post though

Oh well, i'll try again ;)

16. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I am sorry Wheelguy, I didn't see your prior posts.

I just checked and Buffalo Bore got me for 3 boxes of 380 that I bought because they were stated to be loaded with Gold Dot 90 gr, but I got the Sierra bullet instead. Problem is that my P3AT really likes Gold Dot (and I figured so what if they're a little faster?), but not the Sierra bullet used by CorBon.

17. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    NP, but if you don't like getting switched like that, you might write BB an email to let them know that there is a problem. If enough of us complain, maybe they'll switch back to using Gold Dots when they become available again. That's my theory, and I'm sticking with it  ;D

18. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I bought from another online source, I'm taking it up with them directly.

I expect to hear the federal law BS on ammo return he gave you, and I will ask my source of the misrepresented ammo to give me the citation in "federal law".  My bet is they can't, because it isn't there.  It is just a easy way to shut a dis satisfied customer up, and a poor excuse for customer service.

19. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    +1 - Many stores have a no returns policy for "safety reasons", but there does not appear to be a law. Pretty well fleshed out thread on The High Road about this: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=405569

So, let's say that you bought from Cabella's, for example. I contacted Cabella's sales July 14th, told them that their web site still lists BB 380 as having GD bullets, and was told that - yea, the web site is probably in error. Seems to me that if you made your purchase AFTER they were made aware of this error, and your purchase was based on this erronious information that they knowingly chose not to correct.... seems to me that a refund would be in order and that they should eat the cost.

Looks like Midway is still claiming that BB has the Gold Dot. I'm not going to test them on it, though.

20. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I did, unfortunately.