Buffalo Bore "Std. Pressure" wetpack test

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by oldgranpa, Apr 23, 2010.

1. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    For those interested, my wetpack test report is now ready at the usrange ammo&ballistics section....see the picture there.....

http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=4055.0

The BB std. pressure was a nice surprise. Recoil just a tad more than stuff like Speer GD, etc.

og

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Nice post!
    Thank you for all the hard work involved.

CJ

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing the results with us Grandpa, I know from experience you put a lot of work into it. ;)

Best Wishes:

4. FLTF3

FLTF3 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Thanks for sharing oldgrampa. Great info for all of us CC .380 owners, as well as those considering joining the ranks.

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Glad that you guys got something out of the reports. There are a bunch of P3AT wetpack tests reported at usrange if you care to just browse the Ammo & Ballistics section. If it helps anyone make good ammo choices, great. I'm too lazy to post Photobucket pictures here so they're all at usr.

The Buffalo Bore Std. Pressure 90gr JHP was a pleasant surprise, and although it might not be the best hollowpoint ammo, I sure can't rule it out. Not too bad recoil and in the P3AT it meets the min. 8" penetration in wetpack. (12" equiv. gelatin). I'll probably include a round or 2 in my AT magazine for carry.

I'm not sure how everybody feels about penetration v.s. expansion these days, so I might post a poll for the latest opinions. With so many "monsters" around these days, almost Sumo wrestler size, I lean to penetration.

Cheers,
    og

6. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Interesting. I haven't chrono'd any 380 in a while but DPX was around 60fps faster and Rem GS 100fps slower for me. Rem must have jacked up the load some since I bought any? May have to try it again.....if I can ever find any? :-/

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks, forestranger, your observation is true since the Rem GS ammo I have is stuff I've had on hand for a year. Remington may very well have changed something or just produced some off-spec lots. I did chrony the lots I had on hand awhile back after GL reported the failure to expand in his test. Check this old link....
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258768297/7#7

Remington has announced a new round that looks like the GoldenSaber just in a new package. But none available at Midway until maybe June. It will be interesting to see what it does......
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=788732

Cheers,
    og

8. glove

glove New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Ohio

Std. pressure, What other pressure does the BB 380 come in?  :-?

9. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    [/quote] Std. pressure, What other pressure does the BB 380 come in?  :-?[/quote]

The first Buffalo Bore stuff offered was/is rated +p at velocities 1100fps and higher. Here's an old thread.....
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269011419/10#10

Since SAAMI does not include +p .380 ammo, and no pistols that I know of are rated for +p, you take a big chance in using it. Reports by those who've tried it say the recoil is severe.

Others may have better info than I do.

og

10. glove

glove New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Ohio
    og
    OK thanks for the info. So what you are saying is that the new BB ammo is not +P and is OK to to shoot in the P3AT.
    Dave

11. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The way I would look at the "+P" in 380 is as a marketing ploy. I really doubt that anyone would be ignorant enough to load ammo to higher pressure than the SAAMI allows. They would just be asking for mulit-million dollar lawsuit when someone's weapon goes KA-boom. I just think they load the +P 380 to the upper end of the pressure levels and use the +P to make people think it's a better round.

Now I can tell you from my personal experience that the BB +P ammo can be shot from a P3at. I've shot about 50/60 rounds of it. The recoil was stout but not shocking, it was similar to DPX if you ask me. The 100g HC was a very dirty round, the JHP's were about average. I did have the trigger pin of my P3 come out of place during one of the range trips but I have no way to tell if the BB caused it. I was also shooting a little DPX and a box of American eagle FMJ.

IMO I really don't know if the BB is worth the cost for carry ammo. Also I really don't trust the company because they switched from Gold dot JHPs to Sierra (I think) without changing the information on their web site. To me that is false advertising. I understand that Speer refused to ship the GDs to anyone during the ammo shortage but they could have informed their customers.

CJ

12. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I do appreciate everyone's opinions here. It's what makes this a great site. Now, my take on the BB +p ammo follows....

Here's a couple of old links on the Buffalo Bore +p ammo question....

http://p380forum.com/forum/index.php/topic,262.0.html

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4218.msg36603

Just like any subject, some do and some don't! I'm in the some don't camp. I'm not going to chance damage to my pistols, or myself, by using +p BB, even just a few rounds.

Do what you want, it's your pistol and your life. For the record, og doesn't recommend taking the chance. The Buffalo Bore Std. Pressure ammo is hot enough. I can't imagine how much hotter their +p might be.

YMMV
    FWIW

og