Buffalo Bore Hardcast FN

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bh153dc, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Anyone shot this round? How was the accuracy and felt recoil?

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Shot all 3 of the BBs. All have the same felt recoil - big! Didn't do an accuracy test, though I'd expect little difference at SD distances.

I did do a bullet integrity test, though. The hard cast penetrated only about 60% of the distance of the Gold Dot because it broke up into little pieces inside the target. The target was two boxes of premixed wall plaster. The Gold Dot expanded nicely, and the FMJ went about 20% farther than the Gold Dot.

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    WG
    That test you did really impressed me with the Gold dots. IIRC didn't you shoot some pork ribs or something?
    Right now I have some of the GD and Hc Buffalo bore to test in my P3 along with DPX, I think it's a toss-up between the GD and DPX for the "best" 380 round.

BH make sure you test the ammo you decide to carry in your P3 before you carry it for SD.

CJ

4. Texas_Red

Texas_Red New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I've shot the hardcast BB rounds. Felt recoil is noticeably but not remarkably more than std 380 ammo. Accuracy is fine. Mine easily penetrated 12" of wetpack and then kept on going with enough oomph to pass right through a 1/2" plywood backstop and bury itself a couple of inches into a sand bank.

Looked to me like it performed as advertised.

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Glad you liked it :). The BB act like 38spl +P+ in the little P3AT. Zipped through denim, then pork ribs, then the plaster - expanded immediately on entering the ribs, smashing out a big hole in the other side - very nice. I just like testing stuff before deciding to carry it for SD purposes.

DPX may be better for all I know, but I won't carry it until I do/see the same test or better. The thing that makes me wonder about DPX is that it has quite a bit less measured energy than BB - 179 ft-lb vs 230 ft-lb for the BB. That may turn out to be ok - given the design of the DPX bullet, but it makes me want to go hmmmmm....

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Happened to be at Cabela's in East Hartford, CT this past Monday. The only .380 I saw on the shelf was BB. The had 8 or so boxes of .380, a few boxes of FN and if I remember corectly a few boxes of HP. Boxes faked me out as I first thought that they were boxes of 50. Big box for holding just 20 rounds.

Take care...

7. crux

crux New Member

May 18, 2009
    I had the same experience at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA last night. All they had was various Buffalo Bore. That would've been a great price for 50. :p

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I had the same experience at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA last night.  All they had was various Buffalo Bore.  That would've been a great price for 50.  :p[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to remember something like $22.95, is that what you recall? Guess for a good SD round that's not too bad by today's ammo prices.

Take care...

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Looks like GL is all set up to test some BB head to head with DPX and others. Maybe he's waiting for you to send him a few rounds. ;)

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

10. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    PM sent :)

11. crux

crux New Member

May 18, 2009
    I had the same experience at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA last night.  All they had was various Buffalo Bore.  That would've been a great price for 50.  :p[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to remember something like $22.95, is that what you recall? Guess for a good SD round that's not too bad by today's ammo prices.

Take care...[/quote]

It was $21.95 at the Hamburg store. That's $5 a box cheaper than the DPX I bought. I'd be very interested if GL or some other knowledgeable person did a gel test to compare BB Gold Dot with DPX.