Buffalo Bore Hard-cast 100 gr. load

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pertinax, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pertinax

pertinax New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Bought some of this and just tried it-- wow! It kicks like the dickens, but prints about where all the other heavy loads do. Darn near rips the gun out of your hand.

I think it's my new carry load.

Pertinax

2. Jon17

Jon17 New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    I tried some too and had feed problems. So I sold the gun. I think it might be the flat nose that caused my problems.

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I tried all 3 BB bullet designs. The hard cast breaks up causing significant loss of penetration. That's ok for varmints and smaller game, but perhaps a disadvantage for SD.

4. Gatordave

Gatordave Banned

Jun 13, 2008
    Interesting Wheel, when you say it breaks up and suffers penetration how deep are we talking about? What is the test material? I just got a box I was going to try out.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    :-/ I guess that would be one way to deal with an ammo problem :-/

But isn't that like selling a car because it doesn't run well on a certain brand of gasoline?

-Scott

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Considering that any ho-hum FMJ will penetrate 16+" of ballistic gelatin, I see little need/reason to carry something any hotter that won't expand. All you can expect is extra expense, slower follow-up shots (you will need them), and a sore hand, IMO. :-?

7. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2005
    :-/ I guess that would be one way to deal with an ammo problem   :-/

But isn't that like selling a car because it doesn't run well on a certain brand of gasoline?

-Scott[/quote]

Maybe it was the only brand he tried and thought the gun didn't work because of it... maybe he didn't realize there were other brands of ammo to try out? :-?

I don't know... I'm confused...

When I first shot my springfield xd .40, the first box of ammo I bought for just the range... The guy behind the counter gave me some fragmenting "range" rounds of remington... When they caused feeding problems and the such... I simply went back and got another (different) box of ammo.. by the way, the guy gave me that box for free because it was their fault I had feeding problems, seeing as they gave me that ammo in the first place!

8. Gatordave

Gatordave Banned

Jun 13, 2008
    If they do not expand but go 20 inches instead of 16, and the flat nose causes no more disruption than a FMJ, than this is one of the most well reasoned posts I have read. BB advertises a bigger wound channel with the flat nose and roided up powder. Question is does that bigger wound channel mean more than followup shots? I think Pocketgun will end up correct on this one.

9. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    The brief test result is...
    BB with Gold Dot expanding bullet = 14" of light weight plaster.
    BB with hard cast bullet = 9" of light weight plaster.

Here is a link to the full test...
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

10. Gatordave

Gatordave Banned

Jun 13, 2008
    That is too strange that your Hard cast broke up and your Dots did not. I thought that was the whole point in them, that they didn't break up, they acted like a flat nose FMJ, causing more tissue damage than a pointed FMJ since it wouldn't slip between tissues. I know I have seen the gold dots break up, I was hoping the HC would hold together.
    You didn't recover any of hard cast to photograph?

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Interesting regarding the breakup of the hard soft cast bullet breaking up. Obviously, the bonded jacket on the Gold Dot makes a big difference.

I will have to revise my reasoning as to why I dislike the BB HCL round for carry, but not my conclusion that it ultimately is a poor choice. Nice test wheelguy, the BB GDHP is impressive, I would like to see someone shoot some gelatin with it sometime.