Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some of this and just tried it-- wow! It kicks like the dickens, but prints about where all the other heavy loads do. Darn near rips the gun out of your hand.

I think it's my new carry load.

Pertinax

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I tried all 3 BB bullet designs. The hard cast breaks up causing significant loss of penetration. That's ok for varmints and smaller game, but perhaps a disadvantage for SD.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Jon17 said:
I tried some too and had feed problems. So I sold the gun.  I think it might be the flat nose that caused my problems.
:-/ I guess that would be one way to deal with an ammo problem :-/

But isn't that like selling a car because it doesn't run well on a certain brand of gasoline?

-Scott

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Considering that any ho-hum FMJ will penetrate 16+" of ballistic gelatin, I see little need/reason to carry something any hotter that won't expand. All you can expect is extra expense, slower follow-up shots (you will need them), and a sore hand, IMO. :-?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
adamsesq said:
[quote author=Jon17 link=1213297899/0#1 date=1213452057]I tried some too and had feed problems. So I sold the gun.  I think it might be the flat nose that caused my problems.
:-/ I guess that would be one way to deal with an ammo problem   :-/

But isn't that like selling a car because it doesn't run well on a certain brand of gasoline?

-Scott[/quote]

Maybe it was the only brand he tried and thought the gun didn't work because of it... maybe he didn't realize there were other brands of ammo to try out? :-?

I don't know... I'm confused...

When I first shot my springfield xd .40, the first box of ammo I bought for just the range... The guy behind the counter gave me some fragmenting "range" rounds of remington... When they caused feeding problems and the such... I simply went back and got another (different) box of ammo.. by the way, the guy gave me that box for free because it was their fault I had feeding problems, seeing as they gave me that ammo in the first place!

·
Banned
23 Posts
pocketgun said:
Considering that any ho-hum FMJ will penetrate 16+" of ballistic gelatin, I see little need/reason to carry something any hotter that won't expand.  All you can expect is extra expense, slower follow-up shots (you will need them), and a sore hand, IMO.   :-?
If they do not expand but go 20 inches instead of 16, and the flat nose causes no more disruption than a FMJ, than this is one of the most well reasoned posts I have read. BB advertises a bigger wound channel with the flat nose and roided up powder. Question is does that bigger wound channel mean more than followup shots? I think Pocketgun will end up correct on this one.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Gatordave said:
Interesting Wheel, when you say it breaks up and suffers penetration how deep are we talking about? What is the test material? I just got a box I was going to try out.
The brief test result is...
BB with Gold Dot expanding bullet = 14" of light weight plaster.
BB with hard cast bullet = 9" of light weight plaster.

Here is a link to the full test...
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

·
Banned
23 Posts
That is too strange that your Hard cast broke up and your Dots did not. I thought that was the whole point in them, that they didn't break up, they acted like a flat nose FMJ, causing more tissue damage than a pointed FMJ since it wouldn't slip between tissues. I know I have seen the gold dots break up, I was hoping the HC would hold together.
You didn't recover any of hard cast to photograph?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Interesting regarding the breakup of the hard soft cast bullet breaking up. Obviously, the bonded jacket on the Gold Dot makes a big difference.

I will have to revise my reasoning as to why I dislike the BB HCL round for carry, but not my conclusion that it ultimately is a poor choice. Nice test wheelguy, the BB GDHP is impressive, I would like to see someone shoot some gelatin with it sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.