Buffalo Bore concerns?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tommy51s, Feb 20, 2009.

1. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I guess I live in the dark, but until seeing it in a couple of recent P-3AT threads here I didn't realize how hot Buffalo Bore ammo is. Is there any risk with putting a lot of that stuff throught the P3, since the P3 design is already pushing the envelope on performance in a small package? Maybe just using BB GD for carry wouldn't be overdoing it.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I have wondered the same thing. I don't know if +P actually is rated for the 380 but I doubt there would be an issue with "limited use". I don't think they would list the fps out of a P3AT if it was unsafe to shoot. Hopefully someone here has tried the BB in theirs and can give some first hand information. I plan on testing the Critical Defence and the BB gold dots in my P3 when I can find them.

CJ

3. road_king

road_king New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I received a box for the BB 27C/20 90 gr. Spear G.D.J.H.C (1175 fps/M.E.267 Ft.Lbs) yesterday. I only fired 3 rounds this morning - loud and probably more recoil - I'm not recoil sensitive to a point - it sure explodes a gal jug of water!

From what I read, the P3at is the perfect gun for this round. It's not like I'm going to shoot hundreds of this rounds of this expensive ammo. I wanted to try the BB +p in my Seacamp .32 and after talking to BB decided to sell that gun and go with a Kel-Tec .32 or .380 - the Kel-tec are low cost but have supported chambers which make them safer than the Secamp - BB sold their two Seacamp's they had to test this new ammo - one more reason not to buy a used gun!

I'll practice with practice ammo and carry with a personal defense round. This gun is a last resort weapon and if it is ever needed, I'll be happy if it lasts 6 or 7 rounds!

I do have the bike tube grip covering - the trigger still hurts my finger - I felt that pain a little more with the +P. :)

4. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i've now fired only 20 rounds of the BB 90 gr JHP and i had split it up into 2 different range sessions.  the BB hurts my trigger finger after 10 rounds (but that's okay with me!).  last week i emptied my magazine of 8 BB rounds that i'd been carrying for the past couple of months.  the gun and all 8 rounds functioned perfectly.  i could sure tell a difference between the first 8 BB rounds and the next 70 winchester white box FMJ rounds!  the BB is louder and generates more felt recoil and i think it's gotta be one of the hardest hitting rounds for the P3AT.  

5. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    But, I presume you'll at least run several magazines of your carry ammo through the pistol at the range to verify that it feeds reliably when you're depending on it. :)

Ed

6. Texas_Red

Texas_Red New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I ran a magazine of the 100gr hardcast BB rounds through my new P-3AT yesterday. It cycled w/o protest and to be honest, I couldn't tell THAT much difference from the WWB and Rem UMC fmj in terms of noise and recoil. It seemed slightly hotter, but not enough to concern me. The Kel-Tec manual says the "P3AT will accept +P ammunition, but not with continuous use."

So, the BB will be one of my carry rounds, but the P3AT will get mostly WWB and UMC hardballs when I practice with it. I think that's a good way to manage most handguns, not just Kel-Tecs.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Now I am intrigued and will go look but I thought that was only in the 9mm manuals.  I thought there was no +p specs for .380 so therefore KT did not recommend it???

ETA - right there on the top of page 3. Learn something new every day! Thanks.

-Scott

8. Texas_Red

Texas_Red New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I just got my new P-3AT less than two weeks ago. That statement in the instruction manual could be a recent addition. In any case, mine did fine, which I expected it would. And I'm glad that Buffalo Bore has decided to market some stiffer ammo for this little pocket rocket, too.

9. road_king

road_king New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    But, I presume you'll at least run several magazines of your carry ammo through the pistol at the range to verify that it feeds reliably when you're depending on it. :)

Ed[/quote]

We put it to the test - BB and practice - four of us shooting it today!

10. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i think it's a lot of fun to shoot - just wish i could afford more of it!

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I haven't tried the BB ammo. At a dollar a round at Cabela's, I can't justify it when other less expensive and very effective ammo exists. I lean toward the Rem Golden Saber in my LCP and Wolf Brass HPs that are a Federal Hydroshock copy in my P3AT. Anyway, I put more stock in shot placement than anything else. One day I will try the BB ammo. If it's accurate then I'll probably switch carry ammo but for now, I'll stick with what works.

12. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    dang the factory loaded stuff hurts my wrist already. i dont think i could handle some +p stuff. of course i guess it wouldnt matter in a SD situation. i may have to pick some of the BB up and try it just to find out what there is to see
    john