Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Neither would be my vote but if you must use one or the other its a toss up in my opinion.

They both will be prone to rimlock, very expensive and I just don't think they are worth it. I would just stick with S&B or Fiocchi FMJ for range and carry ammo. Either one will be cheaper and basically as effective for self defense. JMO of course.

Edit: I almost forgot a couple things. Welcome to KTOG. Also I'm a little biased against Buffalo Bore, I think that their marketing is dirty and dishonest. I've had bad luck with their ammo in my P3at as well so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's quite all rite and I appreciate your opinion and input I'm just seeking the best defense ammo, what about there marketing is dishonest? Is the review of the rounds just hyped up and nonsense scare tactics to sell there ammo by insinuating that other regular ammo is prone to not being powerful enough in a .32 caliber to stop a "Drug crazed attacker" as they imply lol

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Well, +P doesn't even exist in 32acp. They make the hardcast bullet out to be better than fmj when HC is more prone to fragmentation. They have changed the jhp's in a load from gold dots to an inferior non-bonded bullet without changing the description. Also take a look at Golden Loki's gel tests, their HC 32acp is really no better than S&B or Fiocchi. I really havent looked into the barnes load but I think that a fmj is usually the best bet for a 32acp. Don't let anyone tell you that a well placed 32acp won't stop an attacker "drug crazed" or otherwise.

I'm not saying that using either BB load would be a bad idea, just that you are paying a lot more for ammo that may offer no real advantage.

KT has an anti-rimlock kit that does the same thing as a flyer wire if you wanted to check it out.

Just make sure you test whatever ammo you choose for carry, some guns don't run all types of ammo well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I personally think Buffalo Bore and Doubletap ammo is mostly gimmickery and would avoid it in most calibers. .32 acp is one of the few that could benefit from being pushed a little faster. The only one I would use is the Buffalo Bore flat point hardcast in .32 acp. Just keep in mind it will have a shorter overall length just like a hollowpoint, so be mindful of rim lock. I haven't purchased this load yet but was planning on keeping this as the round in the chamber and possibly the first round in the magazine as long as it cycles properly. The flat point should make a nastier wound than round nose FMJ.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the input, user like yourselves is why I chose this forum. I would assume a few .32 cal round of any type would be enough to deter an attacker of most sizes unless it's some gorilla man like Brock lesnar or alistar overeem lol

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thank you for all the input, user like yourselves is why I chose this forum. I would assume a few .32 cal round of any type would be enough to deter an attacker of most sizes unless it's some gorilla man like Brock lesnar or alistar overeem lol
This is true enough, as far as it goes. .32 ACP is enough for a lot of encounters. Other calibers obviously some with more power and other trade-offs, not the least of which is firearm size which means concealability which can mean whether you are armed at all.

To me, .32 ACP is reasonably effective and plenty worth carrying.

The point about "defensive ammo", however, is really that you're dealing with the extreme low end of the power/velocity band, so bullet designs that make sense in 9mm and up may not be so applicable. And remember the barrel length also adds a constraint. Not only does the .32 ACP case only hold so much powder, but the short barrel doesn't allow for the complete burn leading to increased muzzle velocity, so you don't really get to push the bullet as fast as it would need to perform.

This is a case where plain old ball will work about as well, maybe better, than more expensive/exotic loadings billed as "defense" ammo. Even if those designs perform in other calibers, they really don't in .32 ACP.

That said, I still have a few boxes of silvertips and have never had a rimlock in over 500 rounds, so...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Which of these Buffalo Bore brand +P ammunitions will give my P32 the most stoping power?: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

View attachment 3555

View attachment 3556
Hi,

If I had to pick between the two type of ammo I'd pick the BB 75 grain flatnosed round, better penetration. My experience though is that the Seller & Belliot 73 Grain FMJ round has the same velocty out of the P-32 cost less, and is a better performing & more reliable round.

Best Regards:

·
Registered
823 Posts
the stats in that message are nuts. seriously they are so far off anything I have ever read or understood about caliber effectiveness as to be worthless (nothing personal major).

Looks like the 22short! is more effective then a .357, .45 or even .44 mag if I am reading it right.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
the stats in that message are nuts. seriously they are so far off anything I have ever read or understood about caliber effectiveness as to be worthless (nothing personal major).

Looks like the 22short! is more effective then a .357, .45 or even .44 mag if I am reading it right.
Not sure we're reading the same article.

The author rolls .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 Long Rifle into one category so there's no breaking out the .22 Short separately.

A few notes on terminology:

Since it was my study, I got to determine the variables and their definitions. Here’s what I looked at:
• Number of people shot
• Number of rounds that hit
• On average, how many rounds did it take for the person to stop his violent action or be incapacitated? For this number, I included hits anywhere on the body.
• What percentage of shooting incidents resulted in fatalities. For this, I included only hits to the head or torso.
• What percentage of people were not incapacitated no matter how many rounds hit them
• Accuracy. What percentage of hits was in the head or torso. I tracked this to check if variations could affect stopping power. For example, if one caliber had a huge percentage of shootings resulting in arm hits, we may expect that the stopping power of that round wouldn’t look as good as a caliber where the majority of rounds hit the head.
• One shot stop percentage- number of incapacitations divided by the number of hits the person took. Like Marshall’s number, I only included hits to the torso or head in this number.
• Percentage of people who were immediately stopped with one hit to the head or torso

[...]

.22 (Short, Long and Long Rifle)
# of people shot- 154
# of hits- 213
% of hits that were fatal- 34%
Average number of rounds until incapacitation- 1.38
% of people who were not incapacitated- 31%
One-shot-stop %- 31%
Accuracy (head and torso hits)- 76%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit)- 60%

[...]

.357 (both Magnum and SIG)
# of people shot- 105
# of hits- 179
% of hits that were fatal- 34%
Average number of rounds until incapacitation- 1.7
% of people who were not incapacitated- 9%
One-shot-stop %- 44%
Accuracy (head and torso hits)- 81%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit)- 61%
Based on the terminology definitions, it sure appears that the .357 category has a definite "edge" over the .22 category. Not enough that someone who prefers a .22 should have an inferiority complex, but it's clearly there.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I happened to have recently chronographed a string of 5 rounds of the Buffalo Bore 75gr. HCFN averaging 872.9fps. Compare that to the Fiocchi 71gr. FMJ averaging 803.1fps. BB ammo does propel a heavier bullet at a higher velocity, but I think the difference in performance is more impressive on paper than in real life. I do carry the BB ammo in my P32 and have not experienced rim-locking with it. I do have the rim-lock preventer in my mags when using this ammo. It is expensive, but it is the hottest ammo I have so it gets carried.

I have not seen any gelatin tests between the two bullet types, but I surmise the HCFN bullet will produce a slightly bigger wound cavity than the FMJ. I have not chronographed the all-copper HP bullet and do not plan to since I had seen others having gel tested the same bullet and found it gives poor penetration, but decent expansion. Personally, I would prefer deep penetration over expansion since I have more control over shot placement than depth of penetration with/without expansion.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The only gel test that I've seem comparing BB HC to other hot FMJs like S&B or Fiocchi have shown that the BB gets a little better penetration. That would make me think it's doing the same or less damage when compared to the round nose FMJ. I'm also not convinced that a hard cast bullet is as good as a FMJ bullet at penetrating a hard object like bone.

Don't get me wrong because I really did want BB to be much better than other FMJ ammo but I just don't see much improvement for the extra cost.

Edit: Take a look at GL's tests, he had very similar velocity between the BB and S&B. Granted the BB penetrated more but I think around 13" is pretty good from a pocket gun.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
"Which ammo" (not "which caliber") is an age-old question. The best answer I've ever encountered was given on this forum some years ago by a member named Oscar Swanson, I believe. His advice: use the cheapest ammo that cycles reliably in your weapon.

Wise words, in my opinion.

Paul

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Reliable stopping someone will come from multiple rounds. Two or three will reliably stop almost anyone.
I agree. I don't see what all the hype is when it comes to 'one shot stopping power', you can throw all the numbers out the window when you pull the trigger a couple of times. I guess it's for the derringer shooters, my P32 has 7+1. Plenty of 'stopping power' in that magazine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doc Holliday said:
I agree. I don't see what all the hype is when it comes to 'one shot stopping power', you can throw all the numbers out the window when you pull the trigger a couple of times. I guess it's for the derringer shooters, my P32 has 7+1. Plenty of 'stopping power' in that magazine.
I guess some people want to know that if an attacker gets the drop on them and all they have time for is one shot before they are stabbed or bludgeoned, it better be enough to stop the attack, however, we should all practice vigilance and preparedness so your not taken by surprise!

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
The point of having a "one shot stop" statistic is that it is a way of minimizing the variables in order to compare ammunition. It's the same reason that standard ballistics tests use calibrated ballistics gel instead of sides of pig or live goats.

Yes, you could talk about "6 shot stop" statistics or whatever, but many shootings don't have that many hits. If you've only go one hit, then you can track it.

While there are endless debates over the various compilations of one-shot-stop statistics, the point behind them is purely scientific: minimize the number of variables down to one.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts