brown bear

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by onapar, Nov 13, 2008.

1. onapar

onapar New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Went to the range yesterday with a couple boxes of brown bear ammo. The first shot and the empty shell stuck and would not eject.I had to take the slide off and pry the extractor back and get the barrel free to get the empty out. It seems that the shell expanded and stuck.I did this about ten times with the same results so I finnaly gave up no more brown bear for me.
    Has any one else had this problem with thier p3at?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Well, just guessing, but I would say you had jams because you're using what KelTec considers non-standard ammo. Brown Bear is Russian made, steel cased ammo. KelTec does not recommend using anything other than brass ammo.

Also, it has a lacquer coating to prevent rust, several members have noted that the laquer will cause the round to stick once fired.

Rick

3. onapar

onapar New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    you must be right on that as I never had a problem with any other ammo.

4. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Com block ammo is good for your AK or SKS, bad for your P3at.

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    KT reccomends only brass case ammo in their weapons, I called for parts and asked about it a few weeks ago. They said it is because steel and aluminum dont expand the same way brass does IIRC.

CJ

6. onapar

onapar New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks all for your thoughts thats what makes this forum so great. I would have to agree on the laquer making the round stick so I have learned a valuable lesson. :)

7. JRadice45

JRadice45 New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    IF this ever happens again (case being stuck in chamber) you can try this first, and if successful you do not have to take of the slide/bbl.

Grasp the slide in an overhand grip with your weak hand, form a V shape with your strong hand (Thumb and index finger) and with force, slam the v shape into the upper backstrap of the pistol.
    I have cleared many auto jam's for competitors this way. Also serves as an Immediate Action Drill.

8. ArtAttackTat2

ArtAttackTat2 New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The title of this post caught my attention. I thought ...please tell me someone didn't go hunting Brown Bear with a .380! :eek: Whew, glad that wasn't what it was about. Yeah, never had an issue with quality brass ammo.

9. harleyboy

harleyboy New Member

May 25, 2008
    I believe the silver bear ammo does not have the lacquer on it. I use it alot in a makarov I have
    and no problems so far

10. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    i was under the impression that the russian stuff is now poly coated as in the wolf ammo...
    BB still actually uses lacquer ? :p

11. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If you did go hunting brown bear with a p3at you better shoot him in the eye!

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    That's what it says on their website...lacquer coated.

http://www.dkgtrading.com/bearammo/bbpistol.html

Rick

(Edited to add: SILVER Bear is nickel plated.)