Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my P3-AT tonight. I bought a PLR-16 last year and a PF-9 last week, so that makes this my third Kel-Tec.

I did not shoot it, but for grins I loaded it up with some FMJ, stuck it in my DeSantis pocket holster, and I took it out to the hardware store in my front pocket...more just to try it out, see how it works...I've never pocket carried before, and with this gun, I LIKE IT!

I'll be able to get to the range Saturday, methinks, and give it a proper testing.

Also, if anyone is interested in ankle carry...obviously that is not in high demand due to the many other ways this can be carried...but the Fobus ankle holster made for this gun is almost undetectable. It's so lightweight its ridiculous!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really, really need a digital camera!

But when I've got, say, $120 to spend, I have these choices:

1. Digital camera
2. Yet another milsurp rifle
3. Lots of ammo

One of these days I'll get around to buying a camera...maybe!

PS: this P3AT is awesome. invisible on my ankle as I type.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blued with OD grip. I have to admit, I like having a green pistol.

The desantis is great...it holds in the pocket when drawing, and it keeps the gun from flopping over in the pocket. It's already been on a few "expeditions".

The Fobus ankle holster is good, but it does ride down, unlike the Bianchi triad I have for my Bersa and PF-9. But this gun is so light, it can rest on the top of my shoe and its no big deal...my pants are long and loose enough it is not exposed.

Honestly I should have bought this gun much, much sooner (as in, when I was applying for my CCW last year).

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
nicneufeld said:
Ask and ye shall receive:

Hmm - I just made my daughter change out of her pick/cammo t-shirt and jeans (she is going to go see Grandma who doesn't understand "hick"), but she would have looked good with your green gun in her pink/cammo!

-Scott (who's not sure if this is sounding right but trying to make a cammo comment - not a pretty comment)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First range report...somewhere around 90 rounds downrange, 50rds Magtech FMJ, around 30rds American Eagle FMJ, and a magazine of Remington Golden Sabers. All fed, cycled, and fired, no problems.

One question...apparently the pistol was ejecting casings straight up into the air, almost perfectly vertical. Is this a problem? I don't mind the "brass rain" but is this an indication of a problem?

I'm happy with it so far!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, in addition to the above question re straight-up ejection, I just tore it down, and I can see some possible burrs or wear spots on the frame.

Absent a decent camera, let me show you where they are on an image from the manual:

The blue circle shows a rail sort of spot on the frame that has some wear spots...nothing too crazy, I assume this is normal wear.

The red circle is what concerns me more...the corner there that is circled, that was flattened, in the way that if you hit the corner with a hammer or something. Not that badly, but kind of a squashed corner. Something to be quite concerned about, you think? Should I file any rough edges off, or just leave it be (don't worry, I've learned my lesson from the PF-9, I won't jump in headfirst unless I get express instructions, and I don't remove metal unless absolutely certain).

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Some wear in both of those spots is common. Smooth a little with a file or some fine grit paper. It will stop after breakin. Grease the slide rails.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just carried my P3AT for the first time all day yesterday in my front pocket, and I forgot it was there. We had relatives over, and nobody noticed--not even my wife. I love this gun! ;D

I still haven't picked up a holster yet, though. Gotta get on top of that.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great to hear, thanks! It would hurt to have both my KTs (excepting my PLR) in Cocoa at the same time.

I noted a slight ridge on the spring guide hole (or whatever its called) but it just looks like a tiny bit of extra metal, the slide thickness looks good there. I'm not worried about the peening brouhaha, yet, at least.

Oh, and I agree about the ease of concealment...this gun has (almost overnight) changed me from the sort of person who carries when going "out" (to church/grocery store/walmart) to an almost 24/7 carrier. There are times when I opt to "upgun" but even in those cases, its likely the P3AT will ride along as a backup or "new york reload". I've said it before but I should've taken your all's advice, last year, when you recommended to me the P3AT over the PF-9 (this was in June or something) for a first carry gun. The PF-9 is awesome, but it took me this long to get it, anyway!

G

·
adamsesq said:
As Tx said - totally normal.  You got a good one.  2 of mine shoot straight up in the air.  2 shoot up and back 20 feet.

-Scott
Same here Scott......up over my right shoulder about 20 feet. My buddy laughed cause this lil gun throws empties furthier than any auto-loader we shoot!

Nic... I have the same wear spots on my first gun.

Did I say "1st gun"? Hmm....... must mean I just got my second P3AT. I posted a range report. :)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
You guys will laugh at me probably, but I am anal about leaving brass lying out in the woods. With every other weapon I have a tarp off to the right was enough to catch everything. PURELY because of the P3ATs I went and bought a screen walled EZ-Up and plan on shooting inside that to keep my brass contained.

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
adamsesq said:
You guys will laugh at me probably, but I am anal about leaving brass lying out in the woods.  With every other weapon I have a tarp off to the right was enough to catch everything.  PURELY because of the P3ATs I went and bought a screen walled EZ-Up and plan on shooting inside that to keep my brass contained.

-Scott
I'm laughing but that is a pretty good idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.