Broken? Warranty?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tahoe132, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Tahoe132

Tahoe132 New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Hello all!

A while back I purchased a P-3AT. When I took it to the range the second time to fire it a few times (previously I had only fired it twice), I noticed that every time I shot, I had to manually push the trigger forward to shoot another round. So before going through all the hassle of sending it in for warranty work, I took the slide off just to make sure there wasn't any dust, dirt, or whatever in the gun, maybe preventing this trigger from returning forward.

And then I made my idiot move. With the slide off, I I was moving the (hammer ?) back and forth to check for dirt etc. and accidentally let go...... Now the hammer is stuck forward... a lot further than it should go..... and will not return back. So at that point I figured it was best to leave it to the experts.

So that was a while back now, and I have since sent it in with a letter stating what happened. Kel-Tec emailed me and confirmed that they received it. However that is the only email I have received, until today when I received an email that they are mailing it back.

So rather than waiting over the weekend, does anyone have any idea what this means? Did they fix it? Or did they not ever respond to any of my emails, and just mail it back to me because they will not cover this under warranty?

Any ideas?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.

why do we get those type of emails where you want more info or want to reply back in person on Friday afternoon ;D

I would think the pistol was comiing back repaired :cool:

3. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    my guess it will come back repaired. there warranty is great and if it was not covered under warranty they should have sent a email or call with a est. of cost to repair. let us know when you get it back and what they found.

4. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum Tahoe.  First "a while back" can cover a pretty broad time frame.  Kel-tec's standard policy on repair is to expect a 4 - 6 week turn around time. They really can't say much else at that point because they don't know what's wrong, much less how long it may take to repair.  They will sometimes acknowledge receipt for repair and sometimes they won't.  

They do not offer a daily or weekly status check service, although if you call them they may tell you.  If you got an email from them simply saying it is being returned, rest assured the odds are 99.99999999% it is repaired.  They would have requested a contact number from you if it needed additional work.

You didn't say how many if any emails you sent them while they had it, so I can't tell you why or whether they responded to any of them.  They are just recently beginning to embrace the email communication system, and it is still better to call them when seeking reliable information.

Let us know what happens.  You should get a repair slip listing actions taken when you get it.   :)

I got the impression when you opened it to look at what was happening that it was the first time.  Please understand this is a little gun with close tolerances, and it must be maintained and lubricated regularly after each range session  or it will not work properly.  There are several threads in here discussing maintenance.  I doubt this had anything to do with your particular failure, but you do need to get comfortable with removing and replacing the slide on a regular basis, and what points to clean and lube.   ;)

5. Tahoe132

Tahoe132 New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Thanks all!! I hope you are all right!!! :)

3wbdriver:

As far as email history, they emailed me on 8-24-10 when they received it. I emailed them on 10-10-10 just inquiring on the status and asking a few questions, to which I received an automatic email saying some one would respond with in 24 hours. Yesterday on Friday 10-16-10, I got a generated email saying my weapon has been shipped.

As far as opening the gun, this wasn't my first time, but it was one of my first times. I open up my Glocks regularly, but I don't have to tell you that Kel-Tec is a different animal. Thanks for the suggestions on the threads on the maintenance etc. I will definitely check them out!!

6. 3wbdriver

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    They have had it for a while haven't they!? They have been known to send back a completely new gun with the same serial number if what you returned was unrepairable, so I'm sure sure you have a good gun coming back one way or another.

:)

7. Tahoe132

Tahoe132 New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Ok so I was finally able to get the gun back today.... long story but I had to go pick it up at the UPS plant at the airport....

So they did not send a new one, but fixed my old one. The invoice says they Polished feed ramp, Replaced internal parts, and test fired. I actually got an email back:

"Actions Performed: 9, 14, 15, 27
    Services Performed: 4, 6, 8

Description:
    Service Notes: Replaced trigger hammer and assembly pin."

So on the way home, I took it out to the range, and fired a box through it. Fires great, but I can swear the trigger is totally different. It seems heavier, and the breaking point is almost all of the way back, which really threw me off going between my Glocks and back to my P3AT. I even caught myself jumping, because there were a few times I didn't think it would go off, but kept pulling until it finally went off..... maybe it's just me.

Ahh well, I am happy, I have a working gun back, and my ankle gets to keep warm again ;)

8. 3wbdriver

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    The trigger should come almost all the way back before breaking. I can look at the hammer as I pull and it should be pulled back to just below the line of the slide/receiver joint when it breaks. I have less than 1/8" of take up left at this point. Sound about right on yours?