Broken trigger?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mohave-Tec, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Has anybody ever broken the plastic trigger? I broke mine just below the pin while shooting in the desert this morning. Is there an easy fix? or does this gun go to Kel Tec?

2. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I have taken my P3AT apart when I got it a couple weeks ago.
    Is it easy, I don't know, I had no problems.

There are very good instructions by Goldenloki;  browse the "Fluff & Buff / TecWerks" part of this forum.

And you will always find experienced folks here ready to help.

The trigger was really expensive ... $1.00 (KT part # 252)

3. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I didn't have to do the Fluff and Buff but I do have the instructions.
    So you replaced the trigger, yes? This is a good thing. I've just started shooting the gun again and the trigger broke (only the plastic part) on the third fire. I have about 1000 rounds through the gun. Maybe a few more.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A broken trigger is very rare. That almost never happens. Call KT (service, not parts) and they will send you a new one for free. It is not especially difficult to replace. To replace the trigger in a P3AT, you have to break the old one to remove it. Ha! I guess you already took care of that part.

Removing the trigger and trigger axis
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I wonder if the anti short stroke trigger contributed to the failure.

IF, the anti short stroke prevents the trigger from traveling to full pull during a partial reset, then in the heat of a rapid fire session, the trgger sees more than the normal 10# of spring resitance.

I've never pulled an anti short stroke so this may not be applicable at all

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. It IS supposed to lock up if you short stroke the trigger. I suppose if you squeezed hard enough, you might break it. However, I think those little triggers are pretty tough, and if not defective, would take quite a bit of pressure to break. I was thinking it was just a defective part, a weak spot, bubbles, whatever, in the polymer. This is only maybe the 2nd or 3rd broken trigger I can recall in years of KTOGing and hundreds of thousands of posts.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    from a psychological persiptive, if I partial reset in battle and I pull and no bang, I would have a STAR moment, release fully pulled trigger, and know to rack

with the new locked up trigger at half pull, I think I would just pull harder instead of STAR, (releasing trigger and pulling again)

STAR is a Human Performance tool from work when you encounter a problem
    Stop
    Think
    Act
    Review

or as most say
    Sh1t
    That
    Ain't
    Right

8. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm an Industrial Mechanic. With thumbs up from you guys and instruction WITH PICTURES I have no fear of tackling this repair.
    The trigger breaking was a fluke. I was sizing up a shot and just starting to pull when it just gently folded up. Like anything plastic, sooner or later you get a bubble or whatever in one part and it just gives.
    I really appreciate the quick responce and the dirt I need to go straight at it. I really didn't want to ship it off. Soon it will be spring in the desert.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's what I figured. We just all but NEVER see this. You'll have no issue with the repair. Give it about 20 minutes total time. While you have the thing disassembled with the frame out, it's a great time to do a little custom polishing. :cool:

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

10. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I had a couple kiccups in the first 200 rounds but the gun wore in nicely and I never did a full f and f but as long as it is apart I certainly will. I like to tinker anyway.
    Who as the best read for softening the trigger pull? For a double action in the pocket I don't want to go too light but it could use loosing a couple pounds.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There is not really a way to easily reduce the trigger pull. That would require a lighter hammer spring which would likely result in light strikes. There is not much margain for error there. However, polishing that trigger bar can and will smooth the trigger and lighten it a touch. Also, with more rounds down range, the trigger normally improves some on its own as the hammer spring weakens a bit and parts mate.

12. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Oh well. Anything that you would have to shoot at would be less than 10 feet away anyway.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    KT rates the trigger pull on the P3s at 5 pounds. It may run a pound or 2 higher, at most. That is far better than most DA revolvers and many DA semis as well.

14. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Called Kel Tec service. No wait. No "Please hold". Told the guy I purchased two new Kel Tec products in the last year and that the trigger snapped on one after 1000 rounds. He didn't ask another question except my name and address then told me a new trigger would be in the mail today. If so, that will be the finest service call I've ever had AND.....this product is Made in the USA!!!!!!

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    When you call in the morning, very often the part is there on the 3rd day.  No need to fax a receipt, no serial #, no hassles, no nothing.  Just good fast service based on the honor system.   :cool:

16. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I had to replace my trigger due to the pin moving out of place, it just wouldn't go back in right. As TX has stated it's not a hard fix just make sure you are carefull when you put the trigger pin back in. Don't ask me how I know but if you tap it in too hard it will break the other end of the trigger :-[ ;)

CJ

17. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    If you didn’t ask for a new trigger pin be careful not to damage the one you’re removing. I’m like a bull in a china shop and usually bend about 1 in 5 during extraction.

Wilson – who’s in bad need of another project P-3AT  :-/

18. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    That's 'cause Kel Tec is in Dixie and when somebody in Dixie tells you they're going to do something, they're going to do it. In Las Vegas? Ain't a business here that isn't full of **** all the way up to and past their eye-balls. I'm going to look at some more Kel Tec stuff and see if they have anything else that fill a nitch I've considered.

19. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Good advice gentlemen. I will head all.

20. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    5 days later...new trigger in hand. Man that's good.