Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the weapon on Friday. I took it to the range today. Fired 40 rounds of Federal 9mm target range ammo. On the 40 round the receive broke in half at the hinge. Very disappointed with this sub 2000 gen 2.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sorry to hear about the failure.
You're about to experience Kel-tec's wonderful customer service.

got any pictures?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well that’s disappointing. Hopefully the factory will take care of it in a timely manner.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
There have been a number of non black ones break like that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good deal. I don't recall seeing reports of any broken black S2Ks.
DITTO. I shot my black one not long ago, ran fine.

It's a shame the green ones have problems cause I saw one at the LGS and it looked sweet, makes the detail really stand out on the gun. Black hides everything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kel-Tec HAS to know the serial number range of guns affected, or at least be able to let everyone know what serial number group is good to go if there's green ones that are OK.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Kel-Tec HAS to know the serial number range of guns affected, or at least be able to let everyone know what serial number group is good to go if there's green ones that are OK.
Agreed. You'd think they would notify dealers and pull the affected weapons - customer satisfaction issue/poor publicity. OTOH, since they have NOT done that, maybe they just don't know, which could also be a bit unsettling.

At the end of the day, glad mine is black.

·
Registered
27 Posts
UPDATE brought it back to the dealer his response was Holy S#@T, replaced it with a black one on the spot. No questions asked. Said he will send it back to Kel Tec and deal with them.
That is an awesome dealer. I mean, he's guaranteed to get one back in one piece so its no loss to him, but still, know many in the area who would be like "yea go talk to kel tec not my problem".

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a precaution I sent my OD Green SUB-2000 to Kel-tec. 3 Day turnaround. Best customer service in the world!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Agreed. You'd think they would notify dealers and pull the affected weapons - customer satisfaction issue/poor publicity. OTOH, since they have NOT done that, maybe they just don't know, which could also be a bit unsettling.

At the end of the day, glad mine is black.
Anybody out there have a green one that HASN'T broken?

·
Registered
171 Posts
DITTO. I shot my black one not long ago, ran fine.

It's a shame the green ones have problems cause I saw one at the LGS and it looked sweet, makes the detail really stand out on the gun. Black hides everything.
I'm definitely NOT an expert on polymer firearms, but I noticed something a while back, with polymer receivers from a different manufacturer (GWACS Armory in OK). I really like their polymer AR15 lowers: they're extremely tough (even though they don't have metal inserts like most Kel-Tec designs), and they're also very light-weight. I had a couple in different colors, and just on a whim, I weighed them - the black lower was about an ounce lighter (IIRC) than the FDE lower! I had always assumed "plastic is plastic", and had just figured they added a tiny amount of some inert substance to change the color, but the difference in weight surprised me! Of course, it may have been a batch difference, rather than something related to color (an expert in the field could probably talk for hours about real & potential variables). My conclusion: there might (in certain circumstances with certain polymers) be differences in physical characteristics, depending on the color. In my case, with the GWACS lowers, I went with black, because I was trying to save weight on that build. Just a guess, but maybe someone who wanted higher strength, might have gone with the slightly heavier FDE GWACS.

As always, IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc...

Reactions: Dubar
1 - 20 of 38 Posts