Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
As long as you feel like being insulting, you should have said, "I'll use small words for you."

Go buy a Glock or something.

buh-bye
Wow I thought the Glock FanBoys were fanatics, they've got nothing on you...thirty seconds on Google and it's easy to see these KT hammer springs have been a chronic problem, breaking on the P32, P3AT and PF9 models but you refuse to acknowledge it. Why not have an honest conversation about it instead of an emotional reaction and flat-out blind denial based solely on brand loyalty? Don't understand why you are getting so upset because I am doubting the reliability of a gun that broke while it was just sitting there...

BTW yes, I have owned Glocks for decades, and never had one break.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the broken spring is a concern, but I'd offer this: If this is the failure mode ("spring breaks when stretched during disassembly") it is a very benign failure mode. It happens in such a manner that you are virtually certain to notice it. I'd be more concerned by a weapon that failed in a way such that it was undetectable until firing was attempted.

Just my take on it. Thanks for the report/ information.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, the broken spring is a concern, but I'd offer this: If this is the failure mode ("spring breaks when stretched during disassembly") it is a very benign failure mode. It happens in such a manner that you are virtually certain to notice it. I'd be more concerned by a weapon that failed in a way such that it was undetectable until firing was attempted.

Just my take on it. Thanks for the report/ information.
It seems I'm being blamed for the spring breaking by over stretching it.. or any one of a variety of incorrect reasons.. but again that's not the case at all.. the spring broke at some time while the gun was just sitting there before I even picked it up. That, along with pages of internet searches that detail the same kind of failures of these hammer springs across different Kel-Tec models, is reason for concern.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know how prevalent this is but I own 2 P32's and have not had any problems. I did have a bad 10 round magazine that would not hold the bolt open that they replaced for free. Unfortunately things break and it doesn't matter what brand you buy, it can break and potentially could cause injury or even loss of life. Just saw a review of Springfield Armory 10 mm XDM elite that had a trigger failure. Not good with a bear rushing at you.
There does not seem to be much about how to replace the spring. Perhaps with your knowledge you could show us with pictures just in case. KT sells these for $4.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, the spring may be fine after it's replaced, not so sure that I will be, though. That could have been the moment I was relying on this weapon to save my life.
If you’ve lost confidence in your gun then you should change your carry or go to gun with one that you feel is more reliable. It doesn’t matter if your lack of confidence in this gun is warranted or not, it might just cause you to lose focus worrying about the gun at a crucial moment. You get one shot at life and a gun is just a gun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stainless steel? Which alloy? 302? 316? 17-7? Another alloy? The lack of specificity suggests a lack of understanding.
Numerous conventional steels are better than any common stainless steel. Music (or piano) wire makes the toughest of coil springs. Chrome silicon springs are preferred over stainless in M16 magazines. They are very tough and can handle high shock loadings. Chrome vanadium springs are both extremely strong and flexible with tremendous resistance to fatigue.
So while stainless steel is widely considered a marvel, there are better alloys for springs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Honestly, I think you should just sell it and move on. You are right, we are fanboys. This is literally the "Kel-Tec Owners Group", after all. If you want our sympathy for being inconvenienced and frustrated by this incident, you have it. If you want us to join you in condemning KT, you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
If spring failures are a "chronic problem" on P32's, then I must be extremely lucky or something. I've got two Gen1 P32's and Wifey has a Gen2 P32, all with a few hundred rounds apiece through 'em over the years. Only failures I've experienced with them have either been ammo-related (rimlock due to shorter overall length with the Lehigh Defense "Xtreme Cavitator" rounds) or from improper grip (dragging a thumb on the side of the slide, slowing its movement and causing a malfunction). Never had any springs break as of yet. Does that mean they'll last forever? Of course not. At some point, I'm sure a spring will wear out eventually. Thinking I might buy a few spare springs just in case, since I don't expect Kel-Tec to keep making them indefinitely. And whenever a spring wears out and/or breaks, no biggie, I'll just replace it and continue on.

From what I gather, your concern is there was a spring failure that occurred with a low round count. Okay. It happens. Again, these aren't exactly built like tanks. They're made to be ultra-small, ultra-light, and as such, things aren't exactly built beefy. Even when not taking that into consideration, a bad spring doesn't exactly mean the gun is cursed or poorly built. Springs depend upon metallurgy, which can be a fickle thing at times when involved in mass production. Every once in awhile, there's a defective part because there was a hiccup in the production of, say, a spring. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain Kel-Tec doesn't manufacture their own springs. They likely outsource them from other companies that specialize in such things, and due to production/logistical issues, sometimes they don't always use the same company. As such, now and then there might be an oops. Again, it happens. Literally every brand of firearm I've owned over the years (yes, including Glock) has had one thing or another with some kinda issue - sometimes minor, sometimes major - but that, in itself, doesn't cause me to distrust everything made by that company. What causes me to distrust a company and/or their given product is when the failures are VERY CONSISTENT - like, you send it back to be fixed and it comes back to you and it's still jacked up - either due to crappy production quality and/or poor design, or if the company is aware there's a problem and either publicly denies it's an issue or tries to hide it or generally refuses to address the issue (cough Remington cough). I'm not inclined to believe the P32 falls into that sorta category. Given, Kel-Tec has made a few things over the years which have been, to say the least, a tad bit fussy (PMR-30/CMR-30, PLR-16, PF9), but they've also made some things which have been relatively trouble-free for the vast majority of their owners (P11, P32, KSG, KS7, P3AT) without a lot of issues due to design or production quality.

If a spring failure means your faith in the P32 (or perhaps Kel-Tec products, in general) is absolutely shattered and you can never bring yourself to trust it enough to carry it, even after replacing said spring, then by all means, get rid of it and go with something you feel you can trust. I get it, really. I still kinda get the heebie-jeebies in the back of my mind about carrying my Sig P320 because of all the reports of accidental discharges (NOT negligent discharges, I'm talking about pistols firing on their own while still in a holster) that have occurred with them over the years due to their design, even after the supposed "upgrade" (aka RECALL) and changes made to current-production P320's. I've never had such a malfunction with my P320 where it's been bumped and caused to fire, or otherwise discharged at any time when it shouldn't. Heck, I even took a rubber mallet to the back of it once while I was at the range and gave it a few whacks to the back of the slide with a loaded chamber (pointed downrange, obviously) and it wouldn't discharge. But I still have that kinda ehhhhhh feeling in the back of my mind that perhaps isn't entirely logical and is probably just emotionally-based that keeps me from wanting to carry it much. As such, I haven't carried it a lot, really. And in fact, I'm very seriously considering getting rid of it and all the stupid crap I bought to support it (mags galore, holsters, grip frames, an extra slide assembly) simply because I don't feel too great about it. It's a mental/emotional comfort thing, I guess. I know a lot of other officers that just think the P320 is the greatest pew-pew ever and they absolutely refuse to carry Glocks. Me, I'm not crazy about Glocks, and I struggle to shoot them accurately, but they do work, and the only reports of them going off unintentionally invariably involve negligence and/or a bad holster (or no holster at all). And then there's some folks who won't carry anything without a manual safety lever because the Glock trigger dongle thingy seems inadequate. To each their own.

Carry what makes YOU feel right. All's I's sayin' is, at least for me, that little spring issue wouldn't be enough to stop me from trusting my P32. It would be annoying, sure, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. Again, to each their own.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts