Broken hammer spring

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 99ncxj, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with thier hammer springs. I was taking mine apart today to clean it and found that the tip of my hammer spring was broken where it hooks into the hammer. there is still enough of it there to catch the pin but I wouldn't trust it to stay there.

I have sent keltec an email about it and tried to call but no answer today. Hopefully they will help me out with this.

2. I have seen very few reports of this the hammer springs breaking, but I have seen a few. The scary thing is, if you had not looked at it while cleaning, you would not have noticed.

[highlight]CALL[/highlight] Kel-Tec [highlight]SERVICE[/highlight] and tell them the spring broke and you want a new [highlight]HAMMER/SPRING ASSEMBLY[/highlight]. Not just the spring, but the ASSEMBLED unit. They will send you one out same day and get you running.

3. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I know...Thats the scary thing. Looking at it, it seems to be made of some real cheap metal.

4. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I have seen very few reports of this the hammer springs breaking, but I have seen a few.  The scary thing is, if you had not looked at it while cleaning, you would not have noticed.

[highlight]CALL[/highlight] Kel-Tec [highlight]SERVICE[/highlight] and tell them the spring broke and you want a new [highlight]HAMMER/SPRING ASSEMBLY[/highlight].  Not just the spring, but the ASSEMBLED unit.  They will send you one out same day and get you running.[/quote]

Bought one cheap that had a broken hammer spring. One call and 5 days later the new assy. arrived. Great service!

5. I don't think it is a matter of cheap spring material. Springs in all gun makes and models can and do break I am sure.

The scary comment was about the fact that if the spring breaks, you would not know it unless you looked at it, OR you went to shoot the gun and the trigger simply pulled to the rear with out the BANG following.

For me, it is a constant and consistent clean and lube of the gun, with a good inspection in the process.

That is how I noticed my cracked grip.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1216356809/0

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Something of intrest.  A "high quaiility" metal spring is more prone to break, where as a "cheap" metal spring will stretch  :-/  unfortunately to get springs so small, but have suffecient force, KT uses the highest quality spring metal :-?

7. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I've had 2 on my P3-AT broken the way you describe and found both by accident. I have no idea how long they had been that way. I quit counting, but probably have 3K rounds thru mine. I found the last one broken a couple of weeks ago when I put in the new anti-short stroke hammer block. I replaced it with a new one. Fortunately, function was always good. Unfortunately, it's something else to worry about.

8. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    broke the hammer spring at or about 300 rounds on my 2nd gen two years ago. kel tec mailed me a new one. not hard to put in. it broke at the top next to the hammer. don't know why, it just broke.

9. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    they sent me a replacement but the hammer doesn't fit...

see other post