Broken hammer spring

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 3x9mmcpl, May 24, 2009.

1. 3x9mmcpl

3x9mmcpl New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I have had two springs break . The factory says not common maybe one in 5000 guns.
    Is any one else sharing this problem??? How can I fix it??? This has been my primary carry gun.
    I am going back to the larger and heavier P-11 for a while.
    I do shoot the P3AT a lot. but would not think that should wear the hook off

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The factory is probably right. We don't see very many. You've obviously had more than your share. Therefore you are probably safe now. :-?

3. hotrodchevrolet

hotrodchevrolet New Member

May 24, 2009
    had it happen to me on my 1st gen right before christmas, took about a month for the repair/return

4. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Not hard to fix if you don't mind taking the gun apart. http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm Kel-Tec will send you a new hammer spring with a new hammer already attached. This is the price we pay for having and expansion type hammer spring instead of the usual compression type.

5. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I have had 2 of them break. Both were right at the hook. Fortunately function continued because there was just barely enough left to keep it hanging on over the pin. I have no idea how long they might have been broken because the break was discovered only when I disassembled. I do suspicion there may be more out there that just haven't been found out yet. Where mine broke you cound not see until the grip was removed.