broken GRIP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by phil_evans, Jun 5, 2010.

1. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx
    p3at, j2a75, just noticed that rear part of grip going angled down to the retaining pin(part 270) is cracked through.
    only used factory loads, never reloads or so called +p
    any body else have this problem.
    around 1k through it.
    only remedy is send it back to coco.
    sent once back for pooched out slide/peening issue.

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Re: broken frame

1,000 rounds is way beyond my experience with the P3AT. I'm more of a carry alot, shoot a little monthly to keep in tune kind of guy. When I do shoot, it's maximum power though. Still no problems with my chrome model.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

I'm not picturing that. Is the crack in the actual aluminum block frame that is pinned inside the polymer grip (housing) or are you referring to the polymer grip. If it is the grip KT could send you a new one. They are not difficult to change. A pic would help.

4. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx

the crack is in the polymer frame, not the metal rail.
    the crack runs through the pin location.
    sorry for not being descriptive.
    i've got it bundled up to send to keltec tomorrow.

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

Whoa!!!

Instead of sending it off and being without for who knows how along why not just ask them for a new grip with the hammer block and mag catch already installed. You can buy the parts from K/T for probably about the cost of shipping a handgun back to them. If you can email them pics of your own cracked grip they will probably send what you need for free.

We're here to help you swap the grip out. No big task.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

THERE IS NO "POLYMER FRAME".  The serialed frame in this gun is an aluminum block that is pinned inside the polymer housing which is called the GRIP.  If the grip is cracked, call KT service and they will send you a new grip  for free.  If you are reasonably handy, you can change the grip in about 15 minutes, or you can send it back to Kel-tec and let them do it.  However, that will cost you shipping and a month or two in turnaround time. Of course if you are not comfortable doing this, that is what the lifetime warranty is for. ;)

7. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx

i stand corrected,
    i've always referred to it as the frame rather than grip.
    i do not always say clip or magazine in the correct reference.
    but once i learn - i learn.

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Mistaking the grip and frame in these guns is a very common misnomer based upon construction of earlier all-steel semi-autos in which the frame looked much like the grip in a Kel-tec.  Still, most polymer pistols do not have the removable frame housed in the polymer grip like the KT does.  Glock, for example, has the frame integrated into the "grip" and calls it the frame or receiver.  Most polymer pistols are constructed like the Glock.  Kel-tec is different.

Frankly, I think the KT construction has some advantages for the user.  If the "grip" cracks or is otherwise damaged on most polymer guns, you have to send it in since the serialed frame would have to be replaced. Not so with Kel-tec.  Kel-tec's construction also makes it easy to change the color of your gun as you can order a different color grip and change it yourself.  :)  

9. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx

thanks for the explanation.
    i'm good at fluffing and buffing but that is as far as my confidence level permits me to travel,
    that's why i'm sending back to the mother ship for nuture .
    i was here long ago and talked about pooching out of the slide by the recoil spring guide which became recognized as peening,
    got washer and that fixed that problem.
    my p3at ran for a long time so i did not return to the forum for knowledge until yesterday.

back then i sent it to kel-tec by ups listed as machine tool parts - is this method still appropriate?
    thanks you for helping.

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Yes, it is still completely legal... and cheap.  You are only violating UPS policy - not law.  I would not use a large UPS center but would opt for one of the small strip-center shipping places.  I would also insure it and do not use the word Kel-tec in the address.  Just use something like this:

CNC, Inc
    Service Department
    1475 Cox Road
    Coca, FL 32926

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

11. theduke

theduke Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa

Dont under estimate yourself. These guns are very easy to work on. I am sure you can do this. Plus, you have all this help (KTOG) at your fingertips!

12. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Where you using a belt clip? Maybe the steel pin didn't have as much flex as the plastic one.

What type of rounds where you primarily shooting?

13. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx
    no belt clip.
    shot mostly rem & win target/range, the cheapest stuff from walmart/academy.
    then corbon dpx - my carry round - due to this forum,
    then other brands, s&b, hornaday, golden saber(2nd choice), gold dot, pmc, monarch(crap), blaser,  

14. Does this look familiar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check this thread -  I had the same problem back in 2008 and it was resolved in just a few short days.  Trading the GRIP out is not hard at all.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1216356809

The next link is a video by former KTOG member "Beach". He used to make and sell metal mag catches.  The video shows how to remove/install the frame from the grip.  It is not that hard at all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw&feature=related[/ame]

15. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Seriously, if you get the grip with the hammer block in it, changing the frame into a new grip, is more simple than field stripping some auto pistols. There is basically nothing to it. The only "hard" part is taking the hammer spring loose. That is little more than pushing it down with a straight screw driver, give it a little twist, and let it come back up through the mag well. After that drive out a couple pins, then reverse the process with the new grip.