Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to range to some PMR & CRM shooting. I have fired several hundred rounds of all types of 22 mag through PMR with no problems. After several rounds I started to have misfires due to light primer strikes. This was with 30 gr ammo. Loaded with mag full of CCI 40 gr, and fired around 10 rounds and then just hammer falling and no fire. Racked slide and no primer strike. reloaded and same, hammer drop and no primer strike. I found a piece of sheet metal on floor. When I removed top plate on slide found that firing pin had broken in 3 pieces. Looked like it had been broken for a while and only failed when rear piece that hammer hits finally broke off. This would explain light primer strikes before complete failure. Installed my spare firing pin. As soon as Kel-tec has some in stock I'll get a couple more spares. If your having light primer strikes I would check your firing pin for breaks or cracks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What causes these firing pins to break ? My gun is fairly new and I just went to clean it and noticed the pin was snapped in half.
I have had two break in half so I ordered extra ones in case this happens. I have now been using the last one for several hundred rounds with no problem, I talked with someone at kel- tec about the problem and was told they did not have problem with firing pins breaking. I am in my sixties and have never had one break in any other gun. I hope they changed the material they are made from or changed the temper to avoid breaking as this is a very cheap problem to correct.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had two break in half so I ordered extra ones in case this happens. I have now been using the last one for several hundred rounds with no problem, I talked with someone at kel- tec about the problem and was told they did not have problem with firing pins breaking. I am in my sixties and have never had one break in any other gun. I hope they changed the material they are made from or changed the temper to avoid breaking as this is a very cheap problem to correct.
Yeah totally frustrating and here I just got my gun back from them a week ago from repair, now a busted firing pin hopefully they can just send me a new one under warranty .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kel Tec sent me 3 new pins and a couple new springs .

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Had my firing pin break in 3 spots as well in my PMR. Ended up just sending it back to KT as the hammer also chewed up the corner of the fire control group box from impact after the pin broke. They replaced that along with the pin and sent it back about 4-5 weeks later.

How difficult is it to replace the pin yourself?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had my firing pin break in 3 spots as well in my PMR. Ended up just sending it back to KT as the hammer also chewed up the corner of the fire control group box from impact after the pin broke. They replaced that along with the pin and sent it back about 4-5 weeks later.

Super easy just take the 4 Allen screws out of the top cover then use a 1/8 punch to tap the 2 roll pins down far enough to where they clear the firing pin retainer vs taking them all the way out then that's it took me about 10 minutes .

·
Registered
30 Posts

Where abouts on the Fire Control Box was it getting chewed up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kel Tec sent me 3 new pins and a couple new springs .

first time posting.. not sure if this is the right forum..
I have broken 5 firing pins for the pmr30 to date (less than 2 years old maybe 3000 rounds through it ) recently i ordered 3 more new ones.. and Lo and behold the new pins are of a different shape .. check the parts list for the pmr30 firing pin.. the new one seems to perform better than the old one.. and I believe the breaking pins will be a non issue now.. hope this helps pmr30 owners out there..

--Happy hunting !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my PMR30 in February 2018, it has been incredible (outside of the first two magazines I loaded). I generally load 25 rounds by hand, and only Rap the mag as suggested, after 10 or 15, then the 2nd ten or 15. Have not had feed issues. My last outing though, it all of sudden quit firing??? I didn't think to remove the screws in the slide cover and expose the firing pin, but the buffer block seemed somewhat crushed compared to a new one, so I replaced that. Well, no luck, still won't fire. So I did the firing pin investigation. And in the future, I will remember to knock the roll pins out from the top, NOT the underside! It takes some patience to line up the extractors and pins; especially once the spring goes in, and you go to do the 2nd one! My Previous firing pin was the old style, and only broke off and the back. Not quite sure how the new design is supposed to prevent breakage, unless they figure it will flex where the metal has been removed, rather than crack? We shall see. I believe I have about 1500 rounds through it to this point. I've been shooting everything from 30gr Hornady & CCI, to 45gr Hornady & 50 gr Federal. I've shot mixed mags with 30, 40, 45 & 50 intermixed, without issues. I've actually been quite impressed with the gun overall, till the firing pin broke. I broke it in using mostly 40 & 50gr Federal, and Fiocchi loads. If only ammo could get down to 10¢ a round; most of the time, I pay about $10 or less per 50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick update on the firing pins.. they redesigned it.. it looks noticeably different now..and so far no broken pin.. with the old design I went through 5 pins in the first year I had the pmr30.. with the new pin I have not had any problems nor breakages (about 2200 rounds so far) so it appears the redesign may have helped me. I'm keeping the old pins as emergency backup backups.. but still have 2 of the newer pins on hand.. if you check the keltec website the extra firing pins you can order are now the new design..

·
Registered
7 Posts
No firing issues since I installed the new firing pin. I also sent Keltec a message through their contact portal for service. I told them about the issue, and they sent me a new firing pin FREE. I already had one thankfully, but now have a FREE spare.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I read this thread the other day and the next day my firing pin broke. A portion of it was on the shooting table. One broke before and I have 2 of the previous design. This pin lasted a fair while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.