"Broken" Down P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Picatinny_Pete, May 18, 2010.

1. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

I was at the LGS yesterday and a customer came in with a P3AT that he couldn't get back together, and was wondering if it was possible warranty issue. The man couldn't get his new P3AT to go back together again after cleaning it the first time. I paid no attention and was debating the merits of buying some copper washed Russian 380 ammo when I heard the pinging of the recoil spring guide rod flying across the room and hitting the wall a couple of times, and went to check out of curiousity.

The salesman who's P3AT I had fluffed and buffed and set up asked me to take a look at it. The spring had a bend in it and I reversed it on the guide rod and it went right into the slide. The owner looked relieved and then then tried to get the slide on the frame and it wouldn't go. After several attempts he asked me to try, and sure enough it wouldn't go. I figured something was wrong with the frame, and looked at it. The owner had pulled the trigger and the hammer was all the way forward. I fixed that, and the P3AT went together, no problem.

The owner was greatful and the pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. I mentioned that this wasn't good and that he should avoid doing that to which he said that a few times wouldn't hurt it. :-?

The happy owner then walked out the door, and the salesman turned to me me and said "You would think that he would read the manual". The only reason I bring this up is that a good portion of stories like this end up with the pistol being sent to Kel-Tec for service :( No wonder it takes so long for Kel-Tec to do warranty stuff.

Best Regards:

2. RZombie

RZombie New Member

May 6, 2010
    Excellent point. I read the manual from front to back before I even pulled the slide on my new P3AT.

3. Apparently not grateful enough to heed good advice from a man that just showed him he knew a thing or two about his gun.  Oh well...

4. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    sounds like he was lucky you were there,other wise he`d still be bouncing springs off the walls..as for his remark...some people just don`t learn...

5. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    But there are so many pages and so few pictures, sigh.   ::)

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    With the influx of new gun owners which seems to still be growing this is more common everywhere you turn. For a lot of these people it's their first time with a handgun or maybe any gun for that matter.

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The ungrateful guy will probably be back with his "broken" gun again since he was probably not paying any attention when you clicked the hammer back to get the slide to move.

"Must be a faulty gun. I only dry-fired it two or three HUNDRED times. Can't Kel-tec do anything right?" ::)

8. Tarheelccw

Tarheelccw Guest

I did the same thing when I first got my p3at and took apart the first time. Thinking it was like other auto loaders I pulled the trigger then removed the slide.I went to put it back together and had the same problem. That day I learned a valuable lesson. READ THE MANUAL BEFORE OPERATING THE FIREARM. I now read the book first thing.

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

May 28, 2010
    That's exactly what the instructor at my CCW class said. He had hi Glock 27 which I kept racking and firing with an empty chamber. He said, I know that your gun manual might tell you not to do it, but a few times won't hurt it.

I wanted to say, why do it at all? The manual says not to do it, I'm not going to do it.