Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after shooting over a thousand rounds in about 3 months, my PF9 started malfuctioning.

So, I contaceted Kel Tec directly. They wanted me to send it to them for servising. Could cost up to $250.00.

I did so investigating.

I bought new barrel springs, Extractor Pin and Spring for ($11).

My PF9 is now working like a champ.

Duane

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Cool, good for you!

This should have been posted in the PF9 threads.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
So, after shooting over a thousand rounds in about 3 months, my PF9 started malfuctioning.

So, I contaceted Kel Tec directly. They wanted me to send it to them for servising. Could cost up to $250.00.

I did so investigating.

I bought new barrel springs, Extractor Pin and Spring for ($11).

My PF9 is now working like a champ.

Duane
I assume from the fact that KT told you there would be a charge for repairs, that you are not the original owner? (otherwise, it would be under the lifetime warranty)

I am glad you were able to "fix" the issues with some simple spring replacements. It would appear that your PF-9 likely has considerably rounds through it than the thousand you have fired, and springs do wear out.

A thousand rounds in 3 months does appear to be a lot for a pistol that is basically meant to be "carried a lot, and shot a little," since the life expectancy of KT guns is around 6000 rounds total. Any special reason, or just having fun?

Jim R

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very cool.
Glad to hear you could fix it so inexpensively.

And thanks for posting.
Now if someone else reads this they have the same issues, they have something to try.

·
Registered
174 Posts
"Carried a lot, shot a little".... I think not!

I have put 730 rounds through the PF9 I purchased in January. I shoot it more
than my Glock, S&W snub nose, P11 or P3AT. It is comfortable to shoot and
accurate (I do have a Northwood trigger and Hogue grip on it). I will continue to
shoot the heck out of the pistol. If I can wear it out after 6000 rounds, no big
deal. I can just shell out about $250 and buy a new one.

I do clean it after every fifty rounds and it keep it liberally lubricated with
wheel bearing grease. So far, I see no sign of wear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Its good to hear the the PF-9 holds up to a good amount of use. I assume if you use it a lot you are a very effective shooter if the need to use the gun ever happens.

I shoot my kel-tecs on occasion but carry them often. Use my steel pistols at the range for target practice and just for fun. So I guess I would not be as effective if ever in a gun battle, but I am sure I could hold my own in a strictly defensive shooting. Usually those are over in seconds and few rounds are fired.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Its good to hear the the PF-9 holds up to a good amount of use. I assume if you use it a lot you are a very effective shooter if the need to use the gun ever happens.

I shoot my kel-tecs on occasion but carry them often. Use my steel pistols at the range for target practice and just for fun. So I guess I would not be as effective if ever in a gun battle, but I am sure I could hold my own in a strictly defensive shooting. Usually those are over in seconds and few rounds are fired.
Simply shooting a lot does not, unfortunately, translate into effective defensive shooting. Just depends on what "kind" of practice you do. To be effective, such practice should be as close to a "real world" situation as possible-that is, shooting from different distances, positions, targets, drawing and firing, point shooting, shooting while moving, using cover while shooting, practicing clearing jams, and so on, along with a lot of mental practice on "what if" situations.

You don't have to use your PF-9 for this, although you should use it enough to be completely comfortable with it at all times, including automatic responses to jams, etc (which can happen with any firearm, regardless of type, size, caliber, or cost) In fact, it can be somewhat counter-productive beyond this, since the more wear and tear you put on a given pistol, the more likely it becomes for something to break at a critical moment. The trick is to use it enough to ensure it runs, and to build and maintain your skill with that particular weapon, but not to create undue wear on a carry piece. They are, after all, very lightly built (intentionally so, as to keep weight and size to a minimum for the caliber) and not robustly built range or target pistols. JMO

Jim R

·
Registered
154 Posts
You know this forum has a lot of good information but what really bothers me is there are some people on here that believe they know eveything about everthing. Why do the know it alls have to be so condensending when someone posts. The guy likes to shoot his Kel Tec leave it at that don't bring your know it all opinion into it and tell him about shooting a lot does not mean effect defensive shoot. Who cares.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Lifetime warranty dosent follow the gun, just for original owner? That's kinda blah....
Very few gun manufacturer's warranties extend beyond the original owner. Even Hi-point's warranty, who will normally repair a gun regardless of history, states original owner only.

Folks, this discussion has devolved into an attitude contest and no useful information is being exchanged. I reckon it's run it's course.

Trevi thank you for the post. But I sincerely believe Kel-tec was hedging and giving you a highball estimate just like they do when they tell everybody to expect a 6 week turnaround time. I would be interested to know if you are the original owner. That's the only reason I can see for them giving you a dollar estimate in the first place.

I DO NOT EXPECT OR ENCOURAGE ANY OTHER REPLIES TO THIS THREAD EXCEPT FROM TREVI. I hope we have an understanding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I shoot once or twice a week because it is fun. I like to reload just as much. Although I always carry, the odds are so remote that I would ever have to use it that I don't worry about the ins and outs of defensive shooting. The reason I carry, and I know it is silly, is it is my silent way of supporting our 2nd amendment rights. Ok, I'm crazy!

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Wow! I love how friendly this forum is including its moderator. You will never see me here again. Later
What a shame. We could have had a beautiful relationship. And thanks for the PM referencing male organs and moms basements. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts