Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

breech face "peening"?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  wyo-man 
#1 ·
Folks, the breech face on my P3-AT has developed a gouge or indentation about an eight of an inch above the firing pin hole and for the first time, I'm having FTE's where the empty case gets trapped half way in the ejection process (the case hangs "half" ejected on the breech face....has any of you experienced this type of failure?

#2 ·
That is the first I recall of this.

What Serial Number range is it and how many rounds. would you be using steel case ammo?

I invision the gouge is being made from the case rim as the barrel tilts down and the upper edge of the rim is forced into the breach face, just above the FP hole. Could that be what is happening

#3 ·
I have never heard of this before. It is impossible for brass casings to deform a steel breech face. I see it possibly happening with steel cased ammo. That is one of the reasons for not using steel cased ammo in P-3ATs.

Regardless, I would call Kel-Tec service and describe the problem. They will most likely suggest that you mail in the slide for a free replacement.

Let us know it works out.

Bobo

#4 ·
Thank you, the serial number is JCXxx and I have about 350-400 rounds through it....I will call KT and see what they say because I am also experiencing the deformation of the head of the guide rod.

I have fired Remington, Winchester, and Federal Hydrashocks.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Robertoj said:
...deformation of the head of the guide rod...
The head of the guide rod will get a flat spot where the barrel slides during recoil.  I just marked mine so I put it back the same and just have the one flat spot.

If the seel is not heat treated (hardened) the brass hitting it will dinge steel. (i've seen plenty of good steal get deformed by repeated blows with a softer hammer (brass, lead, wood)

#6 ·
OK team, called Kel-Tec this morning and the service dept said that they wanted to see it, I asked if I should mail the slide and they said, "no. send the pistol, so we can check it and test fire it".

Now, that sounded good to me so $35.00 dollars later (including insurance for $300.) is already on its way to Cocoa Beach (and to think that I was there in June) so, I will keep you posted on developments.

Thanks for all the good advice!

#7 ·
Like this?

This is a P32, but I think it's the same thing. The back end of the barrel hits there during lockup. Never had a problem (several hundred rounds) until I had my slide nickel plated, so I think it's just the nickel plating getting smushed, hopefully not the steel behind it. Maybe the back end of your barrel had a burr on it that was biting into the slide.

#8 ·
it is exactly like that but, instead of curved, is straight, parallel with the top of the slide so it could very well be what you say but the spent cases are hanging there (or so it seems) during ejection. Also, my slide is blued.

Thanks!

#9 ·
well, I called the KT service dept last week to inquire about the status of my P3AT and they asked me when had I sent it in (8/30) and the serial and told me that it would be 5 weeks turnaround, that I should have it back this week.

I called again today and this time they asked me when had I sent it in (did not ask me for the serial) and told me that the turnaround time was now 6 weeks whole conversation lasted less than 10 seconds.........hmmm.....we will see what happens next week.

Mind you, I am not and never will be the ugly individual that creates a scene.

Both of these conversations have been carried with the utmost courtesy and reserve.

But I can't shake the feeling that I'm being "disposed" of. We'll let you know how it ends, the saga continues.....

#10 ·
Robertoj said:
$35.00 dollars later (including insurance for $300.) is already on its way to Cocoa [highlight]Beach[/highlight] (and to think that I was there in June) so, I will keep you posted on developments.

Thanks for all the good advice!
If you shipped your gun to Cocoa Beach, that may be cause for some delay, KT is located in[highlight] Cocoa, FL, not Cocoa Beach[/highlight]

#12 ·
OK troopers, today marks the beginning of the 7th week, that my pistol was received at KT.

Called this morning, and was asked for my name and was told that 'the pistol is still here". I asked if there was any idea as to when it would be sent back and was told that they had no idea. I thanked them and that was it.........will let you know the conclusion but for now, the saga continues!

#14 ·
well friends, I received my pistol yesterday 10/18 and the barrel, slide & guide rod were replaced, I am satisfied with this repair.

Just so you know, a day ago I received an e-mail from the KT service dept in which (what I took as sincere explanations and) apologies were offered and accepted.

I was told that my pistol was leaving then and it arrived yesterday evening. We will see how it performs at the range, next time and report accordingly.

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.