Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reviewing several posts regarding the "Break In" period, I have questions. How many rounds through the new gun for an adequate break in, without hitting the point where it actually is wearing out? I understand it's not an exact thing and there is probably disagreement among knowledgable people, and to an extent each gun and the way it's maintained. At what point (general range) should I feel I have hit the optimum break in without loosing service life? Comments wecome!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
break ends with it functioning 100% , most about 100-200 rounds....most are fine out of the box...."worn out" is down the rode when it starts to have problems, several thousand rounds is not uncommon..for the most of us that would take a life time....it does not matter if or when, kt will stand behind it .....gpr

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  How many flawless rounds you choose to shoot to certify your weapon for carry is up to you. 200-300 rounds without any problems is normal for most. Some want 2000. The count starts over at zero though if there is a problem.

At 500 rounds though, you are entering a popular round count window for replacing recoil springs. (500 to 1000 rounds.) Once you start replacing parts, then you have to make sure that the gun works well WITH the new parts.

Packer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMO, 200, even 500, rounds is not enough...
Here's why.

I bought a P3at mid December, and a second one mid January.

Both had defectlive slides, but the problems didn't reveal themselves until #1 went through almost 500 rounds and # 2 went over 200 rounds.

My plan now, when I get them back, is to hopefully get 500 trouble free rounds from each, replace the recoil springs, then another 250 rounds.

At that point, I'll consider making the guns a "carry" option in low threat enviroments, while continuing to shoot them in my normal range rotation.

Maybe after a thousdand rounds, I'll start to carry them more often, but I don't feel, based on my experience with these guns, that anything under 500 rounds is a true test of their quality.

DP

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Deepmine said:
IMO,  200, even 500, rounds is not enough...
Here's why.

I bought a P3at  mid December, and a second one mid January.

Both had defectlive slides, but the problems didn't reveal themselves until #1 went through almost 500 rounds and # 2 went over 200 rounds.
While I understand your reasoning, and you have to play the hand you were delt, realize that yours are not the norm.

BTW, I understood this poster to be asking about breakin - NOT certification for carry. 200 rounds should do the trick... Hopefully, not in one session. Clean, lube, shoot, repeat... ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, I see your point. There is a big difference in the number of rounds it takes to simply "break in" a gun and determining if it'll function or not in a SD enviroment.

It should take a lot fewer rounds simply to mate the parts to one another.

DP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.