Break in question - lubrication

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by atty, Oct 19, 2008.

1. atty

atty New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Hello all.  I picked up my new PS-AT yesterday and purchased 200 rounds of magtech ammo and spear gold dot jhp to break in the gun.  One hour and 250 rounds later I had a pretty bloody right thumb from slide bite, tired hands and more failures to feed than any gun I have ever shot.  I kept saying to myself, "This is ok - this is to be expected - I am breaking it in - it'll get better."

But it didn't.  I am experienced with pistols - used a very solid push/pull foundation, kept a tight grip and still had these issues.

I will go back next week and see if the situation improves.

Any suggestions, including proper lubrication information would be appreciated.  (I primarily shoot .40 & .45 Glocks which require very little gun oil - so I am curious about what you folks do in that regard.

Thanks.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

check out the FAQ/VIP post for links about lubrication. especially the 4th post with links to goldenloke
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204773333

most here recomend grease on the hammer face, slide rails and barrel lug.  Lubrication and cleanlines to keep friction down so the action will cycle is the key ( preventing loss energy during limp wristing is the other)

check the extractors 5/64" (2mm) screw to be sure the extractor is held secure

and last, if you are so inclined to do so, polish the feed ramp.

If that doesn't do it...put in back in its box and let it make a trip home ;)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

4. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Just got my gun a few weeks ago...brought it home...cleaned and lubed it with gun oil.
    Shot 200 rounds thru it....no problems at all. Then i brought it back home and cleaned it again.

I've never used grease in my guns and have never had a problem.
    I have read on these posts that several people have.

I just cleaned it the same way i've been cleaning my Sig 229 for the last 15 years.
    After cleaning....just a light film of oil on everything and then wipe it all off.
    Has worked good so far.

5. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If you shot all 250 rounds without any cleaning that could be the problem.

My personal experience was that at first I couldn't shoot over 25 rounds without cleaning - until I had about 200 rounds through it. After that it took 75 - 100 rounds before it needed cleaning. After I ran about 350 - 400 rounds through it seems it never needs cleaning. I do clean it after every range trip just the same.

At no point would it not have been fine for the few shots needed for most civilian self-defense purposes.

At the least I recommend a medium amount of grease on the rails, and hammer interface - not just oil. I use oil (drip-less) only on the trigger axis, hammer axis, and hammer block - grease everywhere else.

Keep it clean (especially at first) - Lube well - Shoot - Enjoy!!!

Bobo

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  7. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Guess i better ask this since i'm a new owner of the p3at.
    Ive never used grease in any of my guns.

Is the p3at different in some way that it needs grease?

I've always used Rem Oil on all of my guns after cleaning.

I just looked at the lubrication guide...

Is this just a general recomendation or is it a must?

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Not everyone uses grease but many find that it works best. These guns have very light slides and often need all the help they can get to combat friction. Oil can sling off when shooting and dries faster. Grease tends to stay put.

9. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    +1 on the cleaning and lubing. Usually after 50rds or so you will start having problems. I use Gunslick graphite lube that costs $1.97 at Sportsmans Warehouse on the slide rails and various other parts that incur a decent amount of friction. Try cleaning it and taking it out again and see if it doesn't get a lot better real quick.

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    It could also be the ammo. These guns can be picky. Mine seems to be.

11. atty

atty New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Re: Break in question - lubrication - FOLLOW UP

Following your good advice, after a thorough cleaning and lubrication (no grease though) I went back to the range today. 70 rounds (50 FMJ) and 20 JHP. Perfect. Flawless. No drama of any kind. Also, FWIW, the crimson trace laser was perfect as well.

Ok all you new kel-tec owners, just stick with it - take the time to break it in - and you have a sweet little pistol.

12. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    glad you got it figured out. the next suggestion would be to try different ammo. mine has eaten whatever i've thrown at it (WWB, magtech, and AE FMJ's, and rem express JHP), but it had a few road bumps. but i wouldn't have seen why it didn't like the gold dots...