Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 300 rounds through my Pf9. What are the indications that the gun is broken in? Will it perform smoother. Now it is so hard to pull the slide back that occasionally it gets away from me. Will it slide easier? This little package is so much more fun to shoot/carry/handle than my bigger glock 17. I'm lovin it.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Generally, a good break in period is about 200 rounds of FMJ ammo. Kel Tec seems to have been making a slightly stronger recoil spring set up these days, so it may take some more time for the spring set to "loosen" up a bit, but likely it will remain fairly hard to operate the slide. This simply ensures a good function during firing, but does make manual manipulation a bit harder. One trick to try using is to use the off hand to simply hold the slide, and use the strong hand to push the grip forward to manipulate the slide, rather than trying to pull the slide back with the weak hand.

Jim R

·
Registered
54 Posts
I only have 300 rounds through my Pf9. What are the indications that the gun is broken in? Will it perform smoother. Now it is so hard to pull the slide back that occasionally it gets away from me. Will it slide easier? This little package is so much more fun to shoot/carry/handle than my bigger glock 17. I'm lovin it.
If it has gotten harder to pull the slide back I would checkthe front of the ejection port for possible peening.....It should not get harder with use

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good call!! Check the underside of the slide just foward of the barrel lockup. Peening will form a "lip" on the underside of the slide that will bind up with the barrel. Let us know what you find!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked for peening and found none. It feels more like I am fighting the spring. Pf9Newbie's suggestion is worth a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
300 rounds it should'nt be harder to pull back. I would suggest field strip, take out barrel and recoil rod and springs, and re-install the slide and see how it feels, It should move very freely then, if it does not slide easy you may want to lay the slide on a flat table top and make sure it has not bent or bowed...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
the pf9 has a strong recoil spring and a short slide that make it harder to pull back than a long slide full size pistol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pulling back on the PF-9 always seemed a lot easier than the P-11,300 rounds should be sweet pulling slide,give it a thourough inspection and let us know,good luck.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
300 rounds it should'nt be harder to pull back. I would suggest field strip, take out barrel and recoil rod and springs, and re-install the slide and see how it feels, It should move very freely then, if it does not slide easy you may want to lay the slide on a flat table top and make sure it has not bent or bowed...
The OP did not say it was getting harder to retract the slide after 300 rounds, only that it was hard to retract the slide period and that he had difficulty doing so (from the very start). That is why I suggested a different method of doing so, which makes manipulating the slide a bit easier for some.

Jim R

·
Registered
589 Posts
PF9Newbie ,I Read the"Now it is hard to pull the slide back" as it was getting harder. If I miss read that statement,sorry. But either way it will not hurt to field strip ,remove barrel and spring and check just to be sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would consider mine light out of the box... Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that of my P11.

This is my second PF9 and both have been the same.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
The gun is broken in, although the recoil spring will continue to wear/weaken. If you have not already done so, apply a little grease to the slide and frame rails. Put some on the hammer interface (that flat bar on the bottom of the slide). Put a little on the back of the hammer as well. While you're at it, don't forget the barrel lugs. This will all reduce friction and make the slide a bit easier to retract. However, the relatively stiff recoil spring is part of the design and is needed due to the ultra-light weight slide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clarify. The slide is not getting harder to pull. I have had calipers on the slide and the measurements are close enough to say that there is no warping or bending of the rails. I think I am asking if the springs will relax some with time. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts