break-in ammo...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pfb, Oct 31, 2007.

1. pfb

pfb New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I know there are a zillion ammo threads, but I'm picking up my P3AT tomorrow and want to head to the range and break it in.

A couple of recommendations for first-50 rounds ammo?

Recommendation is to fire off at least 50 -before- fluff and buff, correct?

2. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Everyone has different opinions. Some say to fluff and buff before you shoot. I didn't f&b with mine at all.

As far as ammo, don't shoot wolf or any other steel case ammo. Buy name brand (Winchester, Remington, etc) and put at least 250 rounds through it before you consider it broken in...which means you could depend on it with your life. Of course, you would run that much ammo through it in at least 2 outings if not more!!!

3. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I usually buy whatever is cheap, brass, and fmj to break in. I don't F&B, just clean, grease the rails, and get after it. Everyone has a different opinion on break in, I feel fine carrying if I get 100 flawless rounds through it. Just be sure to run some of your carry ammo through it before you carry it.

4. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i just picked mine up and intend on doing what i've done with every other handgun, break in is whatever FMJ i come up with. however i've had some problems with getting it fully up and running, so i may find a f&b to be more of a necessity. YMMV.

5. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Clean and properly lube your p3at before you go out. Check out this link: http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm
    Shoot a good quality FMJ. I've used Remington so far, but recently found a decent deal at Cabelas on Magtech so I picked up a couple boxes of it...yet to try it though. I also ran a full mag of Gold Dots through it with no problems. So far 57 rounds with only one FTF.

6. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Both P3-ATs in the house were given a very basic cleaning and lube, and then broken in with 200 rounds of American Eagle FMJ.

It's a basic FMJ load, not the cheapest, but it's the lowest priced, QUALITY load that I trust. I have about 200 or 300 rounds at ALL times as barter stock in .380.

7. mikedsokc

mikedsokc New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    I ran 200 rounds of Monarch through mine with no jams. The gun will F&B it's self. Use 600 grit sandpaper to take out the burs on the slide and frame after you shoot it. That should be all you need to do to it. I use tons of oil and grease on mine. I guess I'm used to shooting 1911's. I don't think you can get too much oil on it.

8. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I will be breaking in a new P3AT tomorrow. I cleaned and lubed it liberally, and loaded up the mag with Corbon DPX, and chambered one.

After they are shot, 27 (remainder of a box) DoubleTap 95gr FMJ will go down range. It will be allowed to cool a little while the PF9 goes bang, then a drop of oil will be dripped down each frame rail before 50 Remington 95gr MC (whatever that is) go down range. After that it will be cleaned and lubed, and sometime in the near future shot again. I will probably carry DoubleTap Gold Dots in this one.

9. mhiggi02

mhiggi02 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I broke mine in (and still practice with) good ol' Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart.

10. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    my remmy JHPs are alternated with WWB for carry.

and USE GREASE. plenty of it. i don't use oil at all on this one and the grease works pretty darn good.

11. All of my 3AT's look like this before the first round goes down range:

[​IMG]

But that is me, I LIKE to take a gun down to bare bones to learn what makes it go bang!

I think it is a hold over from when I took toys apart as a kid.

But I do find intersting things inside of Kel-Tecs when I take them apart:

[​IMG]

No, not the penny, but the other junk was inside a NIB 3AT.

So yes, I do a complete F&B on all my new guns, and especially used ones.

As far as how may rounds, for the Kel-Tecs I want to push 500 rounds, with the last 100 being perfect before I will carry it by itself.

And I like the cheap Winchester White Box, and refuse to shoot wolf or any other cheap dirty stuff, and never steel cased in the 3AT.

12. Hawkjm

Hawkjm New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    100 round packs of Winchester white box from walmart has done me well, and is priced fairly.