Break-in ammo- RWS 95gr FMJ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by NCDmax, May 30, 2010.

1. NCDmax

NCDmax New Member

May 17, 2010
    Anyone have experience with this ammo? I've found that some of this is available and am thinking about ordering some for break-in. Thanks.

2. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Heck, for break in, use what you can find. The cheaper the better. Grab a few hd's and try them out. Shoot, lube, repeat, and post pics.
    Welcome to KTOG,
    Lop

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I saw some of this ammo yesterday at the LGS. RWS is a quality manufacturer of ammo in Europe located in Switzerland and I would have no hesitation using to break-in a P3AT pistol.

Best Wishes:

4. NCDmax

NCDmax New Member

May 17, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I think I'll order a batch. GOOD SHOOTING to all.

5. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    No complaints from the 9mm bunch. Good quality stuff.

6. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Wally world recently reduced the price on RWS 9mm from ~$17 to <$13, so I was going to pick some up. But research online came up with posts about it having a steel jacket plated with copper, so it will fail the magnet test.

Range I favor doesn't allow steel core, so not going to risk buying something that fails magnet test, even if it's just steel jacket. It's quality ammo from everything I've read, and cheaper that the 50 rd WWB at Wally.

If your range doesn't care/check, no problem. But if they do, might want to check if they do the same with the bullet they use on their 380 ammo.

7. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

The RWS 380 Auto ammo that I saw had a brass jacket and was not steel. The Russian LVE 380 ammo that I bought to test out of a PPK was copper washed and did have a steel Jacket. I suspect that much of what is posted on BB's is rumor.

Best Regards:

8. NCDmax

NCDmax New Member

May 17, 2010
    I have ordered 250 rounds from Sportsman's Guide. Hope it's brass jacketed but my range doesn't care anyway. Thanks for the help.

9. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    The bullet is supposed to ride on the copper clad/wash/platting.

"Even if it did come into contact with your bore, the mild steel of the bullet jacket is still very much softer than your barrel's steel and won't hurt it anyway.

It is good stuff. Shoot away.

ETA: For the sake of perspective, I got the following converted Brinnell Hardness Numbers from www.matweb.com :

Cartridge Brass: BHN 138
    Low carbon "mild" steel (1025): BHN 135
    Gilding (95/5) Metal: BHN 101
    Pure Copper: BHN 83
    Lead, 3% Antimony: BHN 7
    Pure Lead: BHN 4.2

Seems as if the RWS/Geco ammo would be no harsher than firing Golden Sabre JHPs (which uses cartridge brass jackets) down your bore. "

I wouldn't recommended steel jackets down a rifle bore at 3000fps but you have no worries,especially out of a pistol with a manufacturers recommended lifespan of only 9,000 rounds with lifetime replacement.

10. NCDmax

NCDmax New Member

May 17, 2010
    Thanks for that information, AA. Sounds good to me. Can't wait till it gets here!

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    RWS is a quality manufacturer. I've had one of their adult air rifles and have used their pellets in .177. I use their #11 percussion caps for my .50 cal. BP side lock rifle. I recently bought 100 rounds of RWS in 9mmm but haven't fired any as yet.

Good luck...

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    "I wouldn't recommended steel jackets down a rifle bore at 3000fps"

I disagree. US .30 M2 ball has used steel jackest starting in 1970. I have shot a lot of steel jacket .30 M2 ball, both US and Greek.

13. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    I was referring more to a high dollar sub MOA  target/match grade .223/308 like just about any AR or bolt gun these days . Not a mil-spec m1,sks,ak,ect. I use the cheap stuff in them also.