Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on reloading some 9mm bullets.

Do I need to do the brass expansion step to get the bullet started for setting /pressing the bullet?
It seems that I can start the bullets without this step.
These are LRN 124 gr from Missouri Bullet Co. ,Nice bullets.(18 Brinell, I think)
Not bevel base, but start easy enough.

If I use bevel base bullets, can I skip the expansion procedure ?
Is there another reason for expanding , that I am not aware of?

I got about 3000 pcs of 9mm brass /bullets/primers etc, and skiping this step would save a bunch of time.

Whudyall say?

Jim

·
Registered
660 Posts
The proper term is flare/expander die. The crimping stage then removes the flare after seating. Basically, you are putting less stress on the brass at the case mouth by using a die's mandrel to 'reshape' the mouth than using a bullet to expand it. You might get a few more reloads out of your brass this way. You will also get a more consistent bullet seat and release since bullets will vary in diameter ever so slightly. The accuracy may be noticeable depending on the application. Also, if you use plated bullets, they may slide in easier without flaring; however, if you load lead bullets, you may shave the bullet, thereby deforming it, by seating it in an unflared case mouth.

So, yes, you can skip the step; however, there are advantages to going through the step as well.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
If your not crushing cases you should be fine. My dillon set does'nt have a expanding die. When i have a bullet that crushes the case or while loading lead i use the expanding die out of my 357sig set.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So,
I have always flared/expanded my brass to start bullets. Was just wondering if I could skip it without any problems.

If I am using LEAD bullets I should go ahead with the flare/expander.

It would even be beneficial in a few ways, to also flare/expand when using jacketed bullets.

What about when using bevel base bullets of either lead or jacketed?
They start and press in so easy.

Im learning some stuff guys.

I see the point of shaving the lead uneven,and also better flare from die than a bullet which may vary in size.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
660 Posts
I flare all my pistol rounds and crimp them after bullet seating. I use a progressive press for volume production though, so I can see the time savings if not flaring on a single stage press.

I think your question about bevel based bullets comes down to how the brass is worked. I'd prefer to use the mandrel than the bullet.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
The instructions that came with my Lee die sets for adjusting the expander die say to flare the case mouth just enough so that the bullet seats easily. If your bullets are already seating easily, then I would assume you don't need to expand the case mouths. On my Lee die sets, the expander die also is the powder dropping die, the second die in the set.

For Lee "Deluxe Pistol" dies:
(1) resize and deprime die
(2) expander and powder dropping die
(3) bullet seating die (optionally can also perform as the crimping die)
(4) crimping die

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As noted, the expander die serves two purposes. To slightly flare the case mouth for easier bullet insertion, and to allow for through the die powder drops. If the bullet you are using seats in the case easily without expanding the case, and if you are using some other method to drop/load the powder, then you do not need to use an expander die. Using an expander die does, however, insure that the case mouth is "flared" evenly all around and that the bullet enters centered in the case. Without it, if the bullet meets a little resistance in going in, it can slightly distort the case mouth, causing a slightly off center bullet seating, though this will be at least partly corrected during the crimp operation. Probably not enough of a problem to cause significant accuracy problems at short hand gun distances, but for fine tuned accuracy, could affect this some.

Jim R

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
You can skip the step if it seems to be working for you. If the brass is all the same, even better. If it is range brass, you may run into a few cases that do not cooperate.

I cannot remember, I used a few of these but they bind up in the rifling on a couple of our pistols, the nose is just a little too fat and the rifling starting just a little too soon. Seems like they did not need the flare when I used them. Now I use their 380s for my 9mm and those for sure do not need flare. A great company... I use them for most of my pistol reloads, and am very grateful they sell 9.2 mm (makarov) slugs.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,

I think I will try doing some each way and then see if there is any differencei the operating and accuracy, I will be shooting most of these thru my S2k , but some thru PF9, DB9 and HP C9.
I shoot 9mm more than any (except.22), then .357 mag , then 44 mag, then .45 then .223, then a few .38.:)

The LEE set is what I am using. One day maybe Ill move up to a turret setup.
I just enjoy doing it one at a time , It fills my time ,when I want to getaway.
I usually only load a few hundred rounds a month of .38,9mm,.357, 44 mag, and .45, a few .223 and 30-06.(unlike Badman400 ,who reloads thousands a week, :cool:)

I Use the seating die for crimping, it works really well.

I think Missouri Bullet Co, is awesome, almost all my plinking bullets come from them. Right now all their pistol bullets seem to be on BO., but its worth the wait. I am waiting on a large order now.

Thanks guys for the input.

Jim

·
Registered
660 Posts
Jim,

Sounds like a good plan. When you move up to the turret high volume press, you'll appreciate the expander/powder drop die. The last thing you want to do is stop the 'presses' due to a bullet that doesn't want to seat. When I bought my Hornady LNL AP, I went from making 50 rounds an hour to making a couple hundred an hour. I'm looking into putting a bullet feeder and case feeder on it to increase that production, but mostly to reduce repetitive stress syndrome.

Let us know how your rounds compare with your test. I'm guessing you won't notice much of a difference since your resizer die seems to be forming those cases to a diameter that works well with your bullet choice.

Hey, something just came to mind. Some resizing dies have a built in expander. Any chance that is what you have and this would explain the ease of bullet seating?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts