Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reloading for over 20 years, but just recently started reloading for pistols, versus revolvers. I've done quite a bit of rifle reloading and with most things in life I'm a little more than meticulous (AR might be another term;)).

When it comes to pistols how much brass processing is necessary?

1) Do I need to clean primer pockets?

2) Do I need to sort head stamps? I want to be safe and not over-pressure with a different manufacturer's case construction. No, I don't load to top end pressures.

3) Do I need to seat bullets half way and then turn the case 1/2 turn and finish seating like I do with rifle rounds?

Also, any suggestions for an initial cleaning for particularly dirty cases? At a club I just joined I'm finding a lot of brass in gravel and mud that is good, but clogged with gravel dust. Scraping with a screwdriver and tumbling isn't removing all the caked on dust.

thanks and happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been reloading for over 20 years, but just recently started reloading for pistols, versus revolvers. I've done quite a bit of rifle reloading and with most things in life I'm a little more than meticulous (AR might be another term;)).

When it comes to pistols how much brass processing is necessary?

1) Do I need to clean primer pockets?

2) Do I need to sort head stamps? I want to be safe and not over-pressure with a different manufacturer's case construction. No, I don't load to top end pressures.

3) Do I need to seat bullets half way and then turn the case 1/2 turn and finish seating like I do with rifle rounds?

Also, any suggestions for an initial cleaning for particularly dirty cases? At a club I just joined I'm finding a lot of brass in gravel and mud that is good, but clogged with gravel dust. Scraping with a screwdriver and tumbling isn't removing all the caked on dust.

thanks and happy shooting, dv
Nope, you don't need to do any of those things for pistols. Makes it easy, doesn't it?

Sounds like you need to do some wet cleaning with the mud/dust caking problem, but I'm not sure how I'd approach it. I've been reloading a lot longer than you and I've never had this problem...but then I don't take cases that are caked with me home with me as I'm not quite that hard up for brass, even though I am an admitted brass whore.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I will go out of my way to save 357, 44, and 45 brass!!! For me to bend over for 9mm and 40 there has to be a pile of it

I'm as anal reloading my revolver hunting rounds as my rifle rounds.

Guess i'm pretty anal when it comes to pistol plinking rounds, I still load on a single stage press, like the to feel the bullet being pressed in!!! If it don't feel right it's comming back out!!! Seems like some brands of brass hold the bullets really good for a round and not for other rounds.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I don't do rifle reloading (yet), just handgun - both revolver and pistol. My brass prep is nothing more than running it through a tumbler and then inspecting each piece for cracks, overpressure, bad dings, rim damage, etc. I don't count the number of times I reload it either. Once it fails visual inspection after tumbling, it gets thrown out. But if there are no defects on inspection, I don't care if I reload it 3 times or 30 times. I reload it until it wears out. My brass lasts a long time since I stick to the low end and starter loads.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
if ya want to spend $, get a Thumblers tumbler and use SS media. It will make all your brass look like jewelry. LEE Ergo primer is on sale now at midway, 25.99$, I paid 40.00$.

I get 1000 bullets, TMJ's for 74$ includes ship to door. These fit 9mm and my 380's. Getting ready to order nother 1000 Monday...800-858-8067

no good photo, but these are used for 40 cal, & lil' one used for 380/9mm.

I wash shells with vinegar, lemon juice, dawn, boiling water. Stir! This is why I have not bought a tumbler yet. I work a ft bragg, I get strange looking brass too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if ya want to spend $, get a Thumblers tumbler and use SS media. It will make all your brass look like jewelry. LEE Ergo primer is on sale now at midway, 25.99$, I paid 40.00$.

I get 1000 bullets, TMJ's for 74$ includes ship to door. These fit 9mm and my 380's. Getting ready to order nother 1000 Monday...800-858-8067

no good photo, but these are used for 40 cal, & lil' one used for 380/9mm.

I wash shells with vinegar, lemon juice, dawn, boiling water. Stir! This is why I have not bought a tumbler yet. I work a ft bragg, I get strange looking brass too.
Mike, what is your source for the bullets? Good tip on washing the dirty brass.

Happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
source for bullets is from Illinois,, call that 800# above, talk to john, teri, or Matt.. Other member here turned me on to the full metal jackets. Shippin, tax, everything is 74$ for the thousand. Ask for extreme-001, if you shoot 9's and 380's... Another reason I like these are the .355..... looks great after crimp. My 380 are lookin good nowadays ... Yea, I have the extra custom crimp die for my 380's.. My two 380's run these 100%.. oh, and the g27 with the storm lake 9mm conversion... But I shoot 380's much more.

After squalding water kools, put your hand in the bowl and rub an toss the shells. Solution found on YouTube and modified by MP I know on post gun club. I have added some lemi-shine (1/4 teaspoon) but can not tell it helps . I am loading 40 cals cause I may have my sub paid for in 60 days. Army town, lots of once fired!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
source for bullets is from Illinois,, call that 800# above, talk to john, teri, or Matt.. Other member here turned me on to the full metal jackets. Shippin, tax, everything is 74$ for the thousand. Ask for extreme-001, if you shoot 9's and 380's... Another reason I like these are the .355..... looks great after crimp. My 380 are lookin good nowadays ... Yea, I have the extra custom crimp die for my 380's.. My two 380's run these 100%.. oh, and the g27 with the storm lake 9mm conversion... But I shoot 380's much more.

After squalding water kools, put your hand in the bowl and rub an toss the shells. Solution found on YouTube and modified by MP I know on post gun club. I have added some lemi-shine (1/4 teaspoon) but can not tell it helps . I am loading 40 cals cause I may have my sub paid for in 60 days. Army town, lots of once fired!
Good info on TJ Conevera's. Wish I had known more about that 48 hours ago. Would have saved me a couple bucks anyway.

Happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
thanks, TJ's of "chi" town also sales great once fired brass. They sell 18 million pieces per year, state, local, Feds, members & individuals... Great quick mailings to the door and price they give includes tax and shipping.. Total metal jackets are not full metal jackets. TJ's sales total metal jackets.

total metal means " whole bullet is coated, even flat bottom"..

Just explaining; others will read too! Don't forget, I have to learn too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The last batch of 9mm brass I reloaded I tumbled in stainless steel shot for three days in a vibratory tumbler. When i ran them through my Lee Pro1000, it almost felt like i had lubed the cases (friction was greatly reduced from the burnishing.)

·
Registered
441 Posts
The last batch of 9mm brass I reloaded I tumbled in stainless steel shot for three days in a vibratory tumbler. When i ran them through my Lee Pro1000, it almost felt like i had lubed the cases (friction was greatly reduced from the burnishing.)
Holy cow, that's a long time to tumble.

I tumble 1 hour exactly (tumbler has a timer) in walnut with powdered jewelers' rouge and a dollop of NuFinish car polish and they come out almost like mirrors.

Run real well on my Lee LoadMaster, too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy cow, that's a long time to tumble.

I tumble 1 hour exactly (tumbler has a timer) in walnut with powdered jewelers' rouge and a dollop of NuFinish car polish and they come out almost like mirrors.

Run real well on my Lee LoadMaster, too.
That is funny. I use Nu-Finish also.

Happy shooting, dv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts