brass deflector?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by moose102, Jul 13, 2008.

1. moose102

moose102 New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    does anyone make a brass deflector for these little guns? i reload, so finding the brass is important to me. typically, i end up spending 3 times as much time looking for brass than i do shooting. and still only recover about 80% of the original brass.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Lowes has a nice 12'X12' screened tent and tarps ;D

Welcome to KTOG

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A big plus one on the tent. EZUp with screened sides makes a nice shaded shooting area in the woods plus keeps P3AT brass in the same time zone. Set up off the back of the pickup truck it makes a nice shooting zone!

-Scott

4. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Tent or no tent, I'm pretty sure that about half of my brass burns up on re-entry! :eek:

-Matt

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Moose, welcome to KTOG. The tent suggestions you have received are not in jest. These little guys throw brass a long ways.

For example this casing is on it's way back DOWN;

[​IMG]

;D

6. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I made myself a frame out of PVC pipe and hung a fine netting over it which I then ran down into a plastic trough. The netting is hung loosely enough that when the brass strikes it it puffs out and absorbs the shock so that the brass then just drops down into the trough. I get about 90% of the brass into the trough with the other 10% of it within easy picking up range of it. Since I made this thing I haven't lost any brass. I also lay a small tarp down under the whole rig to make the end clean up easy. I use one of those little brooms and the things that ushers in theaters use, the bucket on a swivel on a stick, to pick up the errant brass that lands near the trough.

This has allowed me to pick up all of my brass without bending over, or at least with a minimum of it. ;)

I tried to patent my "Brass Catching Drape" but it seems that it wasn't something I could patent as it was already in common usage, like in tennis courts and batting cages and driving ranges. When I said my use was unique, that seemed not to hold water. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

(I have not ever seen this in use in any of these places though and there it is, already a "Common Use" product and therefore not able to be patented) bah! ;D

7. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm going to be buying one of these. Just how far is the brass thrown on most of these?

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you are on the west coast it is usually into the next county.  If on the east coast, into the next state.   ;)

Honestly a good 20-30 feet up and/or back is not uncommon. A problem with the side deflectors that work with many/most? weapons is that many P3ATs send that brass straight up or straight up and back over the shooters head and not off to the right. If I am sitting on the tailgate firing it would not be uncommon for brass to hit the hood or land 20 feet in front of the truck.

-Scott

PS - I think you missed a post to respond to somewhere Forge  :)  But welcome to your 25!!!

9. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    This is another reason for the tarp I put down with my "Curtain" catcher. It is usually good for the guns that are pitching the brass straight up, like my P3AT. I usually have to wear a hat to protect my bald spot from getting burnt from the hot brass when I am firing my 3AT. ;D If I don't that stuff really hurts and it leaves little marks that are hard to explain. :-?

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    And to think that over on the Ruger Forum the LCP guys see this brass tossing thing as a problem. We see it as something to brag about. ::)

11. Heck yeah baby!

I have a "few boxes" of the Santa Barbra. They can HAUL AZZ out of the 3AT. At least an extra 10-15 feet farther than the winchester!

Speaking of hot brass--- any one besides me notice a bulged caes on a spent DPX?

The guy that owns the land our range sits on likes to re-load 380, and I am collecting all my 380 brass to give him, but I am scared togive him the corbon. What say yea reloaders?

12. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    This is another reason for the tarp I put down with my "Curtain" catcher.  It is usually good for the guns that are pitching the brass straight up, like my P3AT.  I usually have to wear a hat to protect my bald spot from getting burnt from the hot brass when I am firing my 3AT. ;D If I don't that stuff really hurts and it leaves little marks that are hard to explain.  :-?[/quote]

I thought I was the only one who wore a hat when shooting the P3AT.  I've even had a couple fly down a loose fitting shirt before.  I'm considering a bee keepers suit for my next outing.   ;D

[​IMG]

13. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I have not tried this, so it is just an idea.
    BUT, why not a tarp on the ground and one of those large sun umbrella over the top? It should be easy to set up and put away. Might want to button the collar though.

14. Sounds like a good idea... just hold the Margarittas!