Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a new Su16C yesterday so I picked it up and got a whole bunch of cheap russian ammo. I am really happy with it so far and it hasn't had any issues with a few hundred rounds yet.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I found a new Su16C yesterday so I picked it up and got a whole bunch of cheap russian ammo. I am really happy with it so far and it hasn't had any issues with a few hundred rounds yet.

Two words (highlighted ones) I don't like to see in the same sentence. I hope you have cleaned the chamber good after shooting that stuff. Not something I would ever recommend, I suggest always using good quality brass cased ammo to break in a new rifle. I'm surprised you haven't had issues with it using Russian ammo, I assume it's steel cased.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is steel cased and nickel plated. I don't mind replacing worn out parts to save money on ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
It is steel cased and nickel plated. I don't mind replacing worn out parts to save money on ammo.

The SU-16 is designed to use brass cased ammo, not steel, this comes from the designer of the SU @ Kel-Tec itself! If it works ok for you then fine, just don't come crying to us when you develop "issues" with it after using junk ammo. Just saying......

Forgot to add KT recommends ONLY brass cased ammo used in the SU-16!

Bam Bam

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha no intentions on doing so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mastercrasher is just saying brass is better :)
Some of my friends are using steel ammo casings in their AR's which I'm not to happy with. That just nullified any chance of me buying one of their firearms if they so wish.In reality probably won't hurt it if limited to 2000 rounds or so. I'd rather not have the task of replacing the extractor ever so often,or dealing with loss of power/fps since steel doesn't seal the chamber air/gas pressure wise. If steel works in your model, go ahead and use it. You will never find it in mine unless that is all that is left.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If steel works in your model, go ahead and use it. You will never find it in mine unless that is all that is left.
Yeow!!! great statement..And I agree wholeheartedly!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Steel cases also wear the chamber. Good luck replacing that.
Is that one of those " everybody says so " things or is there empirical evidence backing that up? I have a wasr 10 that has almost 5000 rounds of steel case through it and there is no appreciable wear in the chamber, or extractor. I do realize that the rifle is built to pretty loose specs, but I don't think the SU is a match spec chamber either. Hornady makes the Steel Match ammo specifically for competition ARs and they seem to be selling an awful lot of it. ARs are prima donnas, and a majority of their owners follow that path as well, and I feel like its led to a greatly exaggerated "problem" with steel case ammo. The laquer coating is sometimes problematic, but most examples I've seen with that is in switching between steel and brass and the brass sticks. I have read several examples of owners on this site that only run steel and have no issues. Don't get me wrong though, there is some very trashy russian steel ammo out there, and that is the where the problem lies. I would like to see a real long term comparo between a rifle running strictly hi quality steel and one running brass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am with Anse. I am only going to run steel ammo through mu su16c and I will see if it causes any problems. I can't justify paying 50% more per round minimum. At those prices I can't justify shooting the gun.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Too weird... sorry... what are you paying for that junk ammo? I pay a hair over $7.50 for a box of 20 PMC's..then I have the brass to do it over and over again...without trashing my new weapon!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$4.4 dollars per box is what I am paying.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok you guys figure this out. Ammo is getting expensive and even harder and harder to find now. I've looked at steel case before and always shied away because of this same type of conversation that always goes both ways "for and against". I've read everything I find on the net and the articles always counter each other. This makes a layman/novice like me very confused sometimes... LOL

I would love to see the results of that SU16 all steel case experiment.. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well I for one like the ability to reload my rounds..and I paid good money for my gun, dont want to run that stuff through it.. but to each their own..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to reload but I don't have the time nor the space to set up a good efficient system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts