brand new p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chachi73, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chachi73

chachi73 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    just got a new p3at. Beautiful hard chrome/navy blue! problem...won't chamber rounds when i pull back slide and let it go. nose of round jams straight into feed ramp. after a little massaging, the round finally chambers.

I'm using hollow points, which may be the issue. should i go with round nose until broken in?

Could it be the magazine not feeding at the correct angle into the ramp?

Any suggestions???? hoping not to have to fluff/buff. didn't have to on my last p3.

i appreciate any ideas.

chachi

2. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I had the same problem when it was new...put 50 rounds of round points down the barrel did a fluff and buff problem gone eats everything now..... ;)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    pretty common for hand feeding first round and especially JHPs.
    as long as it feeds when firing.
    recomend cleaning, lubing and just let slide go for a hard of slam as possible.

I just get into the habbit of palming the slide to ensure it returns to battery

4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I did the fluff and buff before I fed it any ammo...but it still likes me to let the slide slam home on the first round chambered. FMJ or JHP, makes no difference.

Pull back on the slide, then let her fly slamming home with the first round...even to the point that the gun flings a little forward with momentum.

100 rounds through mine so far without a single hitch.

Oh, and congratulations on the new gun. You're gonna love it.

5. dbracin

dbracin New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    With any new gun, certainly a few boxes of ball ammo fired thru would facilitate the wearing in of all the components that touch each other. :)

6. trh53

trh53 New Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Cleaned, lubed and 200 rounds can make a big difference.

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, I had the same problem. To resolve the issue pull back quickly and FULLY on the slide and let it go with a snap. This whole process needs to be done quickly as if it was feeding itself after firing. If there is no problem when firing the pistol, this could cure your problem. It seems to be just the way these pistols like to strip that first round from the magazine into battery. Pull back on the slide all the way like your life depends on it and let it go !! Good luck!

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Another good reason to carry hot. If for some reason the gun has a problem getting the first round in the chamber, you would already have it there ready and waiting.

Any gun has the potential to have a feeding problem...even a Glock. :eek:

So, carrying in condition one assures you will at least get the first shot off.

9. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    +1 on carrying Hot

10. Biggestdaddy

Biggestdaddy New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Had same problem also, Reply #3 and #6 have the right Idea. Jack it as hard and fast as it would when feeding itself after firing.

11. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

My friends P3AT's had the first round hang-up feeding problem and it went away after I polished the feed ramp when I did the F&B for them. The P3AT is an easy pistol to do the F&B since it is simpler than the P-32 & PF-9 (no slide hold open.)

Best Wishes

12. chachi73

chachi73 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    update....i switched the hollow points to round nose. no feeding problems when manually cycling. all six rounds fed into barrel as they should. been to cold to go to range, so still haven't had time to break it in yet. I added the finger extension and just ordered the stainless belt clip.

Love the navy blue/hard chrome. very sweet looking gun!

13. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Pics or BAN! >:( ;)

14. chachi73

chachi73 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    i'll post up some pix after i install the belt clip and add a bit of orange paint to the front sight....hopefully by this weekend.

15. chachi73

chachi73 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Re: brand new p3at finally posted pix

i hope i was able to post these pix (1st time).  She's a beauty!  i added the finger extension, belt clip and homeade sights.  going to sand the ramp tomorrow to smooth it out to see if i can get her to chamber hollow points.  round nose feed o.k. though.  still haven't fired her yet.  too cold in indianapolis to get to range.

can anyone shed some light on the KH serial number.  i've heard there is some correlation to manufacture date???

http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx58/chachi73_photos/?action=view&current=DSC02578.jpg

http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx58/chachi73_photos/?action=view&current=dsc02579.jpg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][reason]added tag for pics[/reason]

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    here is a post about KT serial numbers.  
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1143766924/0#0
    while there are letters, the serial number is only a count of the guns made.  to get the date made, you can call KT and they will gladly tell you.  (if you do, post back and I will update the serial number post

to make your pics show in your post
    notice the "Add YaBBC tags:"
    the third button over, looking like a photo, click it and it will insert
    now put your pic link between the two [ ] [ ]

I edited your post to show the pics.

17. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Looks great. A pistol to be proud of. :)

18. chachi73

chachi73 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    JFB - thanks for the assist on the pix and the link too.