Brand new p3at problem...*fixed*

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 9mm, Jul 6, 2009.

1. 9mm

9mm Banned

Dec 6, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I just purchased this brand new 2nd gen p3at serial: "K7XXX" ..when I insert an empty mag into the pistol the mag release  doesnt make a good "click" sound to let u know that its in there good, like my p32 does as well as all my others... But it does hold in. Now when I fully load the mag up and try to insert it, It doesnt even hold the mag at all, I can slide it all the way up and out with the mag catch not even catching it. I havent called Kel Tec yet, but whats everyones advice on this?

Thanks in advance

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Re: Brand new p3at problem...

Hey 9, sorry your having problems. I'm not sure what the prob is, but I would tear it down, clean it up, lube it, and try again. It is recommended when you put in a mag to push in the button to keep down the wear and tear (unless you put in a metal release). Hope it works out for you.
    Lop

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

besure the base is not stopping the mag, there should be a slight gap. once my mag catch is holding, I can push the mag up anouther 32nd .

IF you are using a full mag. You MUST be able to depress the last round deeper with out feeling any popping untill the rim is below the back of the mag. you could try with mag loaded >-1

As already mentioned I would not let the mag catch snap in nor push it in with out first relieving the contact with the magazine

4. 9mm

9mm Banned

Dec 6, 2008

Oh yea, I do press the mag release in when inserting the mag to reduce wear, There is a small gap when it actually holds in the pistol with the mag unloaded, oh I tried loading 5 in the mag and it held in the pistol but I had to slam it in with the palm of my hand. I racked,chambered,racked,chambered etc.
    I put 6 in the mag and pressed down and there was a popping noise.

Could you please tell me how exactly the mag release comes out of the p3at? So I could take it out and examine it.

5. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

Best disassemble the magazine first, check for excess flashing on the baseplate that could be interfering with retention, then put it back together making sure the spring and follower are aligned properly and move up and down smoothly.

6. 9mm

9mm Banned

Dec 6, 2008

I fixed/found the problem and now have a solution...I didnt disassemble the magazine, but with the mag fully loaded now when inserting the mag all the way up I just push the bottom of the mag toward the muzzle end of the pistol just a little and it clicks in just fine, holds tightly in place and I can rack, chamber etc. the whole mag with no problems.. Now I just gotta take it out shooting just to make sure but im pretty happy now..thanks all for the responses. :)

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    for what it is worth

I had forgotten I have installed a neoprine shim at the back of the magazine to push just as you stated. I did not add it for locking in the catch, but to keep the magazine more stable

[​IMG]

the mataterail is a peel and stick from the craft section of walmarts

8. 9mm

9mm Banned

Dec 6, 2008
    Ahh, good idea I will have to get some of that stuff and try, thanks for the tip. ;)