Brakes

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by whtsmoke, Feb 7, 2018.

1. whtsmoke

whtsmoke Member

Feb 7, 2018
    KEARNEY MISSOURI
    I have been wondering if any of you run a brake on your sub 2000 to control the rise in the muzzle for better control and if so what are you using?

2. bullpup-one

bullpup-one Active Member

Oct 6, 2013

3. Brasky

Brasky Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I don't see hardly any recoil or rise in these Subs. I use a flash can that directs the noise away from me

4. whtsmoke

whtsmoke Member

Feb 7, 2018
    KEARNEY MISSOURI
    Well you hear all kinds of things from these reviews and videos so I thought I would go to the best place to find out, thanks for the replies Terry

5. Brasky

Brasky Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Most of those who complain of recoil or rise in these are holding it incorrectly. Your cheek should be down on the bolt tube and your weak hand should be as far forward on the foregrip as possible

6. Shoothemoon

Shoothemoon Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    I use this one. Works nice with the +p

upload_2018-2-9_21-11-24.jpeg

Detman101 and 850sub like this.
  7. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Northwest Oklahoma
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Detman101 likes this.
  8. Isaiah5411

Isaiah5411 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    The South
    Thanks for posting this. Does it seem to help? There are so many opinions on whether the S2k needs a brake or not.

9. handlebar

handlebar Active Member

Apr 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I use this one from my 10/22
    upload_2018-3-7_11-19-13.png

10. Shoothemoon

Shoothemoon Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    Yes it does help. Especially when I am shooting it with one hand. I also like the LOUD blast.
    Also, we all know what opinions are like ....... Try it yourself!

11. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Northwest Oklahoma
    I like to think it helps. I cannot really say if it helps as I have modified my S2K so much that it has almost no recoil and no muzzle rise that I cannot evaluate individual modifications. The brake is one of those mods. I will not change it. Its a 'keeper'.

12. aasillak

aasillak Member

Apr 22, 2016
  13. Hotled

Hotled Member

Mar 11, 2018
    North Texas
    I like the fact that without a brake the rifle is very quiet to the shooter as all the sound is directed out front.
    There is some rise to the muzzle with the 40, I would like to tame it down a tad but hate the idea of making its perceived noise to the shooter much louder than it is.
    I was looking at a linear brake but they tend to add felt recoil yet are quiet so that’s a not a good trade off imho.

14. dred

dred Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Gulf Coast Texas
    Just chiming in to share my experience. I run a KAW Valley Precision Linear Compensator on a couple of my 22lr "field" rifles. It was left over when I divested my 223/556s and I find that if I am shooting without a backstop, and without ear pro ... it definitely helps.

I wanted to throw a 9mm KVP Comp on the Sub2k, but I couldn't get past my interest in keeping OAL as tight as possible. @Isaiah5411 shared his experience with an Archon Muzzle Brake. With a fair degree of skepticism, I fell for an appealing appearance with minimal impact to OAL. I took it to an indoor range to maximize potential impact and I determined that the perceived decibel increase is minimal from the trigger and across the shooting line. I'd compare it with a thoughtfully constructed flash hider. It is nothing like shooting with a brake on a rifle caliber rifle.