Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often see here on KTOG, "Can you do Xxxxx (some kind of pistol action sport) with a PF9?"

Today I shot bowling pins with my PF9. It was the standard course; 5 pins, 7 yards, pins set in middle of table for 9mm, pin must leave table to count.

I've had 100% reliability with my handloads of various recipes so that is what I used.

The first table of 5 went down in 11.5 seconds with just the one 7 round mag. Can't remember how many rounds I used, but it wasn't the whole mag. I felt good for not having shot pins in about 15 years.

I moved on to two other guns (will post about one in the other section), then to a "bad guy alley" of pins and then back around to the table with the PF9 again.

I must have lost it somewhere along the way as it took 18.5 seconds and a mag change to knock the pins down. I think I missed one 3 darned times.

Anyway, it was fun and the PF9 performed flawlessly. Oh, yes, my time on the first three tables using the PF9, a compact XDm in 40 and a Mossberg HS410 with buckshot were all at 11.5 seconds so the PF9 did just as well as the others.

happy shooting, dv

·
Banned
43 Posts
Dusty, Your post gave me a great idea(bowling pins). For me the transition for rifle to pistol is a lot, caliber gap .22LR to kel-tec PF9.
Q: is it possible to shoot a steel target with a 9mm? I ask cuz I see YouTube videos of .22's against steel plates? Last Q: what is the recoil difference between a 9mm & 12gauge?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Q: is it possible to shoot a steel target with a 9mm? I ask cuz I see YouTube videos of .22's against steel plates?
if commercial/store bought plates/steel targets, they'll have a caliber rating.
22 only , 22 to 44 mag, on up to hi-power rifle caliber.

I made some out of 5/16 thick cold roll steel
It's OK for 9mm and 45.

thicker is better ...but any thinner than 5/16 and the plates will dish (get a curve to them) eventually ..
when that happens, the likelihood of getting hit with bullet splatter increases greatly

Last Q: what is the recoil difference between a 9mm & 12gauge?
in a word....huge
9mm in a 6-7 pound long gun isn't much of anything

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dusty, Your post gave me a great idea(bowling pins). For me the transition for rifle to pistol is a lot, caliber gap .22LR to kel-tec PF9.
Q: is it possible to shoot a steel target with a 9mm? I ask cuz I see YouTube videos of .22's against steel plates? Last Q: what is the recoil difference between a 9mm & 12gauge?
Yes, you can shoot steel targets with a 9mm. Very fun. Plates, "poppers", etc. There are many commercial offerings and we've made some like shown above.

I have a small steel resetting target for .22s at home and last week I shot plates meant for center-fire rounds as part of a USPSA style league with my .22. It actually did surprisingly well on poppers and plates.

There is a lot of recoil difference, in my opinion, between a 9mm and a 12 gauge. Especially when you get up into buck and slug rounds. Hold on tight!

happy shooting, dv

1 - 4 of 4 Posts