Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot bowling pins today with my PF9, my compact XDm .40 and my wife's Mossberg HS410. I posted about using the PF9 in the PF9 section.

If you've shot pins before you know the handgun rounds typically knock the pin down in any old odd way and sometimes require a second round to take them off the table.

For the HS410 I used Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense load - a 2.5" buckshot load with four 000 buck. Holy Moly! For shotguns the pins get placed on the edge of the table closest to the shooter so they have to be forced all the way off the back of the table. When hit with the 410 buckshot loads it was as if the pin remained upright, but flew straight back off the table and just fell down. One shot per pin. No follow up. Very, very effective.

My time was no better than with my auto pistols (primarily because I forgot to rack the first round in when loading so had to do so under time), but the 410 was definitly more effective as a table clearer.

happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I laugh at those who criticize the lowly .410 as ineffective. I still have my first shotty---a little Stephens model 94 I got for Christmas when I was 6. I've used it to take everything except deer. The only reason I've never taken a deer with it is simply that I've never had a shot at one. 4 pellets of OOO buckshot is more than enough to stop a person inside a dwelling.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Shot bowling pins today with my PF9, my compact XDm .40 and my wife's Mossberg HS410. I posted about using the PF9 in the PF9 section.

If you've shot pins before you know the handgun rounds typically knock the pin down in any old odd way and sometimes require a second round to take them off the table.

For the HS410 I used Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense load - a 2.5" buckshot load with four 000 buck. Holy Moly! For shotguns the pins get placed on the edge of the table closest to the shooter so they have to be forced all the way off the back of the table. When hit with the 410 buckshot loads it was as if the pin remained upright, but flew straight back off the table and just fell down. One shot per pin. No follow up. Very, very effective.

My time was no better than with my auto pistols (primarily because I forgot to rack the first round in when loading so had to do so under time), but the 410 was definitly more effective as a table clearer.

happy shooting, dv
So where does one find bowling pins for target practice?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I know someone that around 30 years ago .. knew this guy.. That knew a guy that owned a bowling ally... So after hours sometimes it was 9mm bowling...

·
Registered
152 Posts
So where does one find bowling pins for target practice?
I found the easiest way is to simply stop in a bowling ally (or call) and ask.
I've gotten several cases (10 to a case) that way.

many will say no, but don't get discouraged ..you'll find one that will give you some

What's interesting to me is, the places I've gotten pins from wouldn't sell me any.
Both places I asked to "buy" some old pins.
Both places said ,

"no, we won't sell you any, but I'll give you a case of 10"

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was doing this at an organized event, but since I also want to get my wife to try and she won't go to the shoot I called a friend and she game two cases of ten pins. I assume she got them as mentioned above, but she has a lot of old family connections so who knows?

Happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got a Moss HD.410 for my baby daughter a few years ago. It is a great littlegun. I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. ;)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I think either CheaperThanDirt or Midway had the self healing targets in bowling pin. Coulda been SportsmansGuide too, can't remember, but they're out there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that may be made by Do All Outdoors. They also actually sell bowling pins, but they are over $30 at Gander. I can pay to shoot a whole lot of pins for that price.

Happy shooting, dv

1 - 10 of 10 Posts