Bow fishing anyone?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Eric_in_Nola, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Went to a buddy's father-in-law's fish camp this weekend and one of the relatives was cleaning a mess of fish he got the night before while bow fishing.

S. Louisiana bow fishing rigs are kind of cool. an elivated platform with lights all around. You shoot at the fish in the shallows.

here is a link from you-tube that shows it in action. I have no idea who these folks are- it was just what popped up when I googled louisian bowfishing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLACD2L8b4[/ame]

Around here you get reds, sheepshead, speckled trout and flounder.

I think this is in my future. ;)

2. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    around here we shoot carp, i haven't done it in like 3-4 years but it can be lots of fun.
    get a cheap bow and outfit it with a reel, attach a $20 arrow and have fun. biggest mistake everyone makes is not aiming low enough. oh and always make sure you are wearing some sort of safety glasses, i had the string get caught on a limb and come back and hit me in the eye, not fun!
    the newer set ups are alot safer than they use to be.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I was supposed to get into bow fishing this year with a buddy of mine until I decided to high tail it out of the country and join up. Hopefully he got off to a good start and can help me get set up next spring. I was surprised at how cheap it is to buy a bow fishing kit. Definitely looks like fun. Do you guys use air boats or whatever you call'em do there to reach the shallow parts?

4. rachm1986

rachm1986 New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    It's always been my dream to go bow fishing! But I have no bow..and most importantly, NO BOAT!

5. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
  6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    We thought about trying it from our kayaks but that probably wouldn't have ended well. ;D

7. rachm1986

rachm1986 New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Sweet! I thought you needed a boat to more on top of them but that's cool. Maybe next spring!

8. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    People I have watched were all on land while bow fishing. Looks fun but I normally eat what I shoot and carp ain't one of my favorites ;D

We can bow fish for 'non game fish' only in Ks (Carp, drum, white amur (grass carp), threadfin and gizzard shad, goldfish, gar, suckers (including carpsuckers and buffalo), eel, sturgeon, goldeye, bowfin & white perch)

9. v8psp

v8psp New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    We used to do it every weekend. Other than a Bow, you have to have a cold case of Beer to go with it haha. We mainly go after carp but most of the time get only Gar. Its fun stuff