Bought used 1st generation P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jhutchings, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jhutchings

jhutchings New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I bought a used 1st generation P3AT cheap ($140.00). The owner said he has had no issues shooting it. Here is my question, with the life time warrenty should I send the gun in to Kel-Tec to have it checked out. And if I do will they update the gun. Also the slide is blued and has some wear on it. I want to have it either re-blued or some type of other finish. I have a good friend who can do the bluing for me. Any other thoughts on refinish. I would think I would need to send the gun to Kel-Tec first and then have the slide refinished. Last question, will Kel-Tec check over the gun or do I have to have a valid reason to send it in. In this case my valid reason is I do not have history on the gun myself and want to be sure it is safe to carry. Anyone with past experiences what Kel-Tec will do in this situation, such as rebuild etc or upgrade the gun from 1st generation to 2nd generation.

I have researched though this forum and would apreciate any help and response.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to KTOG.  If it were me I'd not send it in unless there is a problem you can't fix with the help from this board.  My reason?  The 1G is a bit smaller & lighter & if it is replaced it would be replaced with a 2G.  The factory warranty is for the original owner.  They don't ask & you don't tell.

FWIW I'd swap my 2G for a 1G in a heartbeat.

Jim, who wishes he could FIND a 1G.

3. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
  4. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Congrats on the good find. Wish I could find a 1st gen. KT states that the lifetime warranty applies to the original owner. I've never heard of them turning down anyone for service though. I don't believe that KT does a check up on used weapons as part of their service.

No, their website specifically states that they will not upgrade a 1st gen to a 2nd gen. Especially one that is not broken.

I would hold off on refinishing until you have verified for yourself that the gun is functioning fine.

You have to have a valid reason.

In my eyes at least that isn't a valid reason, if you don't trust the person you got it from, maybe you shouldn't have bought it. Take it out and put some rounds through it, see how it functions. IF you have problems then think about sending it back for service.

I have heard of rare instances when a malfunctioning gun was changed over to a 2nd gen, but that is at KT's discrestion.

5. I think you should wrap that old POS gun in lead sheets in throw it in the lake!

Or better yet, lovingly wrap it up and send it to me.

After careful inspection (free of charge) I will happily tell you the gun is unsafe. But out of the goodness of my heart I will send you $70 and keep the gun for spare parts!

Your third option:

Shoot the gun like you stole it!

Mitch... Who also would like to have a 1st Gen P3AT!

6. jhutchings

jhutchings New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Guys thanks for the quick response, I apreciate your answers and suggestions. From what has been said I think this is my direction:

1. I trust the individual I purchased the gun from so I will leave well enough alone.
    2. I will have the slide refinished either reblued or the nickel finish as suggested. I contacted the gentleman that does the refinish from Livingston Texas and spoke with him on the phone, very nice answered my questions.

I have collected guns for many years and have shot most brands. I ran accross this gun and could not believe how it feels in your hands. I just purchased a new HK P30 and love it, but there is something about this $200.00 gun that I really like. I four other carry guns (small ones) that I can carry: Walther PPK 380, NAA mini 22, Seacamp 32, and a Kahr CW9, along with about 15 other hand guns. But I am really interested in this gun because of the size and weight and I want it to function properly. Again thanks for everyones help.

My main concern is finding out if any springs etc need replaced. Can you guys recommend at a minimum what parts should be looked at for wear that might need to be replaced. My friend that does the reblue is also a master gunsmith and can replace any parts if necessary, although he does not have experience with Kel-Tecs as everyone on this board does.

7. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    You might get some recoil springs from KT. They are very cheap. There's really not anything else that will wear out. Shoot it a couple of times before sending it to Jack for nickel plating to make sure it works OK.

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Hi jhutchings. Welcome to KTOG!

You have received some good advice. I will only add:

You may want to call KT Service (1-800-515-9983) and request some free parts. They won't ASK if you are the original owner and you won't TELL.

Two upgrades: 1) The original vertical ejector, Part 115, was replaced with a flat one. 2) The extractor from the First Generation P32 with the extra lip works best.

Some new recoil springs are probably needed.

This gun is very susceptable to operator induced malfunctions.

This will happen with a superlight gun like this, and there's no shame in it.

Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
    2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
    3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
    4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
    5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
    This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you have malfunctions while firmly using this grip--Then it's the gun.

SINGLE HAND GRIP:

1. Line up on target.
    2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

To shoot from close in with one hand, do the same straining forward, but lock your elbow so the hand can't actually GET forward. This works from 90 degrees or even from the hip--By tensing your arm muscles. You should practice both.

Packer.

9. jhutchings

jhutchings New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I love this forum, I have taken everyone's advise and ordered new recoil springs and the other parts suggested in the last post. I asked about replacement slides and Kel-Tec still has a few chrome 1st generation slides for $95.00. Is the hard chrome better than the nickle replating that everyone here recomends and also is that a good price for a chrome slide. Since I only have $140.00 in the gun that combined with the $95.00 would still be ok.

Thanks again for everyones help.

10. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    The hard chrome is a bit better than just nickel but you need to decide if it is $65 better.  Jack's nickel plating does a more than adequate job for rust protection.  Aesthetically, I would give a slight edge to the chrome.  I've got a KT hard chrome P-32 and 4 other KT's nickel plated by Jack.

There are also other places that do chroming, maybe some others will list them.

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/slideoffer.html

Also from Jack's site:

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/platingthoughts.html

11. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I prefer hard chrome but Jack’s nickel refinish is great. There are other ways of protecting your slide from rust. Below is a $100 FG P-3AT (wife named this one Hobo) that was refinished with Gun Kote which is very salt resistant for body carry. IIRC it coat about $30 for the slide & magazine refinishing.

[​IMG]

Wilson – who’s fortunate enough to have a bunch of FG P-3ATs :)

12. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Just gotta rub it in don't ya. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

;D

13. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    jhutchings, was that $95 qoute for a 1st gen HC slide the price to just buy one from them? Or was that a swap out price?? Just curious..

Thanks!

14. jhutchings

jhutchings New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Just to buy a new one, I do not know if that includes all of the internal parts to the slide.

I have the recoil springs etc on order, Kel-Tec was great just asked me what I wanted and an address, ordered new mag, already shipped. Now all I need to do is shoot it and decide what I want for a slide finish.

Oh one other thing, I just got a Kahr CW9, good gun shoots good, but now I am going to get a PF-9 from Kel-Tec to go along with my P3AT.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

15. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Why is this?  I have read the 1G vs 2G posts, but don't see anything that would point to one being better than the other.  By the way, I have a 1G P3AT and a P32 so I am familiar with both styles.
    Thanks,
    Todd

16. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    My G1 P3AT is flawless as a shooter.

17. jhutchings

jhutchings New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Well I ordered a chromed slide from Kel-Tec today to go along with a new magazine, springs and new extractor. This should fix everything up. With everything involved I have $235.00 in this gun. It gives me two different slides to use. Thanks for everyone's help. I will post a range report when I get everything in.