Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all ... I am new and this is my first post .
Ok... At first I wanted a PMR 30 , but then I saw a Grendel P-30 and I knew that the Grendel was the one .
I finally got one in GB for a fair price . It came with the original box , owners manual and 2 mags . The pistol is in like new condition , with very little use , if any . I also bought the compensator for it .
Having read just about everything I cut find online about the Grendel P-30 , I knew its weakness , problems , etc .
The first thing I did was disassemble it and check everything , then I cleaned it up very well. The gun was (according to the seller) in a safe for 20 years , so it needed cleaning and lubing badly . For the barrel and chamber I used 7.62 Sweet`s and then Hoppe`s 9 and finally oiled the barrel and chamber with CLP.
I took the extractor out and also made sure the extractor`s spring was ok and the extractor had the correct working position , cleaned the bolt `s face, chamber , etc and I polished the double ramp(it was very rough) and the chamber`s face , the rails ... the works .
Then I lubed the mechanisms of the gun with TW25b grease and all the parts , safety , springs , etc
Finally , I assembled the gun but without the firing pin .
I checked the 2 magazines and paper sanded off(400 gr) all the many imperfections that they had on the outside until they inserted and ejected smooth from the magwell . Also the top opening and the lips needed a very careful sanding , including the followers , to smooth them as much as possible so the rds would run easily . Then I tried them both on the pistol ... amazing what a little sanding can do !!!
Anyway , I constantly read that the problems with the Grendel P-30 are jamming while feeding and extracting , so , having taken the firing pin out already , I loaded the 2 mags with(Winchester Super X 40gr HPs) 15 rds one and 20 rds the other and started to work the slide to load and eject the rds ... At first , I had many jams , then, when I kept doing it , I started to have less jams until I discovered that I was working the slide back and forward too gently ; I guess I am used to my 9mm Beretta... !!! I needed to move the slide in a sharp , crisp way , like in a real shooting movement ... then the jams stopped ... completely . This thing eject the rds powerfully and far away ... I can imagine when I shoot it !!!
I tried both mags with 20 rds each , and the damn thing worked perfectly . Hopefully, it will also work equally well at full load of 30rds ... I haven`t tried it yet because it was hard on my fingers while working the slide with 20 rds on each magazine . But by then , I was very happy ... I put the firing pin back in , lowered the hammer , put the cover on and now I am waiting for next week to go to the range . I am assuming it will work as well when I shoot it for real , but I think it will .
The S/N on my gun is on the 10 xxx so I guess that the firing pin problems would not apply to it .
Here is my beauty :

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Very nice, congrats and welcome to the site. :)

Now you just need to find you a Grendel R-31 to go with it... ;)

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Check this one out too....look familiar?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well yes , I thought of an R31 but prices are extraordinarily high ... the way I see it , paying that much for a rimfire cal rifle doesn`t really make much sense .
I would like to own the pair , of course , but price would have to be reasonable .
There was also a P-31 for sale and the seller had a "reserve" price of $2200.00 for starters ... give me a break !!! Some people are so greedy that they lose side of reality

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Congrats on the nice find and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Nice. I like the 'Buck Rogers' look of the Grendel P-30.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I liked the Grendel more than the PMR 30 . It has more metal on it , the barrel is one inch longer so it is more FPS , is heavier and it looks and feels more as a real pistol than a toy , like its modern cousin , the PMR 30 .
The compensator enlarges the barrel even more , and I love its "Captain Kirk" futuristic style .
If you keep it lubed and clean , it will work fine , which is ok with me because I am super neat with my guns and I keep them all in optimal conditions .
I am thrilled to own a pistol that has 30rd capacity... isn`t that really cool ? Now , to look for an R31 , lol...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 Grendel P30s. One of them I've had for over 20 years, and the other for about 15 years.

I've fed them a steady diet of Winchester ammo, and never had any problems of any kind with either one. They're both extremely accurate, and it's not too difficult to put rounds onto a man-sized target at 50 yards, and even quite respectable at 100 yards.

I'd love to have an R-31. but I've never seen one for a reasonable price.

Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Today I had nothing to do so I disassembled the P-30 again . I had noticed before , that while the slide is forward on a normal position , the extractor is pushed up by a small groove on the chamber`s face ; when is being pushed up it has a a distinct click sound (2 clicks) and when the slide is moved to the rear , the extractor falls into the ready position to extract a rd after a shot .
I checked the groove and it had a rough surface , so I took the Dremel and polished it very well and also polished the two ramps some more . I can hear now that the extractor moves much more smooth when pushed up... before , it was 2 clicks and now it is only one click , meaning that the extractor is pushed up fast and without friction ... which is great .
I cleaned up everything and after taking the firing pin off , I loaded the 2 mags to the full capacity of 30 rds each and started racking the slide to see if I would have any problems feeding and extracting with the mags fully loaded (BTW, loading the magazines with 30 rds was very easy with no trouble and no difficulty at all ).
Usually , if you are going to have trouble feeding or extracting , in most situations you can detect it by racking the slide manually .
On the first magazine , I had a extracting failure on the second rd ; after that it was zero problem ... I racked the slide in and out for 29 times and it was perfect feeding and perfect extracting with the rds flying 3 to 4 feet away.
Slided the empty mag out and inserted the second magazine : 30 times perfect feeding and extracting ... I was resting my hand every 10 rds to give my fingers a break .
I think I was right on polishing that little groove . The 2 ramps are now fully polished to perfection .
I am convinced that the only early failure was my fault on not snapping the slide back with the correct force , so I am now completely at ease with this thing . I am very confident that when I take it to the Range it will perform 100% .
If there are some other P-30 Grendels around that have problems feeding and ejecting , well ... mine is definitely not one of them .
I also noticed that , once you assembly the gun , the hammer stays cocked . If you pull the trigger by mistake while the pistol is empty , that hammer will hit the pin but if the firing pin spring is weak, it will also touch the frame . My grendel came with the hammer cocked ... God knows how many years it stayed like that , although the hammer springs seem very strong and perhaps are not affected much by that position , but still ...
Anyway, I don`t like that at all , so with the hammer cocked I inserted a thin piece of 1/4" diameter rubber hose thru the magwell and positioned it behind the firing pin, pulled the trigger and the hammer hit the rubber hose . Pulled the rubber hose out and now the hammer rest normally against the firing pin .
I am sure that most likely this is the cause of hammers breaking down on many Grendels P-30 ; it hits with a lot of force and if it hits the frame a few times , it most surely will break a piece of it or crack .
I will be making sure from now on that the hammer stays uncocked .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I got to hold a R31 at a pawn shop not to long ago. I wanted it very badly, but not as bad as someone on Gunbroker. It went for a little over $1500.00. I had offered $800.00 and they said no. :(:(:(

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I was looking for a realistic price on an R31 too, but to no avail .
Anyway, since then , I changed gears and I am now convincing myself in purchasing a Taurus 992 revolver .
I never have had a wheel gun before and I think it would be a lot of fun . This one is convertible to 22 LR and 22 Magnum . It comes in 2 finish flavors : blue and SS . I like the SS better with the 6.5" barrel . Price is not that bad , so I think I will be buying it soon . That would close my chapter on rimfire cal and I will be back to my routine 45ACP and 9mm with some unexpensive rimfire fun shooting in the middle .
The speed loaders and all of that will make it a big difference with the magazines for the pistols , so I think I will enjoy shooting a revolver at the range

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I was looking for a realistic price on an R31 too, but to no avail .
Anyway, since then , I changed gears and I am now convincing myself in purchasing a Taurus 992 revolver .
I have owned and I've worked on many Taurus firearms. I think that for the most part, they are very good and very reasonably priced. If you buy a Taurus, the chances are good that you will be happy and have no problems. However, if you do have a problem, their factory service sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all ... I am new and this is my first post .
Ok... At first I wanted a PMR 30 , but then I saw a Grendel P-30 and I knew that the Grendel was the one .
I finally got one in GB for a fair price . It came with the original box , owners manual and 2 mags . The pistol is in like new condition , with very little use , if any . I also bought the compensator for it .
Having read just about everything I cut find online about the Grendel P-30 , I knew its weakness , problems , etc .
The first thing I did was disassemble it and check everything , then I cleaned it up very well. The gun was (according to the seller) in a safe for 20 years , so it needed cleaning and lubing badly . For the barrel and chamber I used 7.62 Sweet`s and then Hoppe`s 9 and finally oiled the barrel and chamber with CLP.
I took the extractor out and also made sure the extractor`s spring was ok and the extractor had the correct working position , cleaned the bolt `s face, chamber , etc and I polished the double ramp(it was very rough) and the chamber`s face , the rails ... the works .
Then I lubed the mechanisms of the gun with TW25b grease and all the parts , safety , springs , etc
Finally , I assembled the gun but without the firing pin .
I checked the 2 magazines and paper sanded off(400 gr) all the many imperfections that they had on the outside until they inserted and ejected smooth from the magwell . Also the top opening and the lips needed a very careful sanding , including the followers , to smooth them as much as possible so the rds would run easily . Then I tried them both on the pistol ... amazing what a little sanding can do !!!
Anyway , I constantly read that the problems with the Grendel P-30 are jamming while feeding and extracting , so , having taken the firing pin out already , I loaded the 2 mags with(Winchester Super X 40gr HPs) 15 rds one and 20 rds the other and started to work the slide to load and eject the rds ... At first , I had many jams , then, when I kept doing it , I started to have less jams until I discovered that I was working the slide back and forward too gently ; I guess I am used to my 9mm Beretta... !!! I needed to move the slide in a sharp , crisp way , like in a real shooting movement ... then the jams stopped ... completely . This thing eject the rds powerfully and far away ... I can imagine when I shoot it !!!
I tried both mags with 20 rds each , and the damn thing worked perfectly . Hopefully, it will also work equally well at full load of 30rds ... I haven`t tried it yet because it was hard on my fingers while working the slide with 20 rds on each magazine . But by then , I was very happy ... I put the firing pin back in , lowered the hammer , put the cover on and now I am waiting for next week to go to the range . I am assuming it will work as well when I shoot it for real , but I think it will .
The S/N on my gun is on the 10 xxx so I guess that the firing pin problems would not apply to it .
Here is my beauty :
Can anyone tell me the Length of the Ejection spring on the P 30

1 - 20 of 20 Posts