Bolt/Recoil spring guide broke!!

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by slickman, Sep 27, 2008.

1. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Well after approx 3500 rounds of Federal .22lr bulk pack, my bolt/recoil spring guide broke. Took it home after  the range today and disassembled it for a cleaning. Lo and behold this is what I see when I disassemble the rifle for a cleaning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any idea how long for them to get a replacement part back out to me?

Thanks

2. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    My guess is that the replacement part will be in the mail tomorrow. Just call them in the morning! Now sending in the whole rifle is another matter, but if you can swap parts yourself, you should be good to go in no time. You might want to send them the broken part just so they can analyze it (benefits the rest of us, thanks for doing that).

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    My guess would be Monday. ;D

-Scott

4. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    They should be able to send you a new bolt assembly today.  

did it malfunction during your range trip, or did you just notice the problem when you were cleaning it?

5. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    The range trip went fine, it was when I took it out for cleaning is when I noticed it.

Also I called Kel-Tec customer service this morning and the gentleman I spoke to said I had to send in the whole rifle for service which I thought was strange. He also said it would be a 4-6 week turn around time. Is this normal? Not sure if he was just confused on what I was saying but I would think that shipping the part alone would be possible. Anyone know any way around this so I can jsut get the part shipped out today?

Thanks!

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Slickman - KTWM who just wrote to you is a Kel Tec employee, one of the design engineers IIRC. You might want to call back talk with Bill (probably the guy you talked to - kind of gruff, short sounding?) again and re-emphasize you only need the part and would like it shipped to you. If he won't do it ask to speak with the service manager. But whatever you do be very polite as no matter how short sounding these guys are they ARE very helpful.

-Scott

7. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Well took your suggestions and called again and spoke to the same gentlemen. I think his name is Bill based on your description and explained the situation and that I can replace it myself without sending in the rifle. He agreed and is sending out the replacement part. :) Hopefully this new one will stand up better this time around

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I love it when a plan comes together.

-Scott

9. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    The new bolt carrier you are being sent is shaped a little different in the back (the recoil spring guide is strengthened where yours broke). I'm curious to see if yours was properlly heat-treated when it comes back.

10. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks ktwm for the info and the help on the shipment today. Just curious, was this a prior issue before hence the different shaped bolt assembly now? In any case, its good to hear the issue being addressed by KT

Thanks!!

11. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    It was found to break like yours did after 6 to 8 thousand rounds only on un-heat-treated parts. That's why I am curious about the heat-treatment of your part. It also looks like the rear bolt screw came loose, which may have attributed to the failure.

The new designed rear is just plain stronger, and the thread-locker used now is also stronger and more oil-tolerant.

12. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    is this something that needs to be watched on the first batch of plr's also...gpr

13. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    maybe,

I'll have to take a look at it and see exactly what caused this particular failure. could be bad heat-treat, could be the screws came loose, could be something else.

It doesn't hurt to look for a crack whenever you have the bolt out, and check to make sure the screws are tight.

14. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
  15. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    1300 round examination under a high power photographer's loupe shoes no evidence any cracking or backing out of any bolts. Just like John Cameron Swayze's Timex - takes a licking and keeps on ticking..............

16. The_Fall_Guy

The_Fall_Guy New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    The bolt screws on my PLR-22 had backed out, after the first range trip. The recoil sping guide was loose, but is not cracked. It doesn't appear any lock-tight had been added to the bolt screws, so I added some.