Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gen 1 Subbie, 9mm, Beretta mags. Has had between 800 to 1000 rounds through it. This last weekend it developed an issue. Pull the charging handle, let it go, and the bolt would hang up about 3/4" short of closing. Not every time, but enough to put it away to be looked at.

Once home, I field stripped the gun, cleaned and lubed. Problem still there. Locked the bolt back, inserted a mag with snap caps, nudged the bolt handle over, and let it fly. Bolt stopped short, snap cap was propelled into chamber. If I move the charging handle back and forth (for and aft) slightly the trigger moves along with it.

If I try charging the gun while holding the trigger fully depressed, it works every time. Release the trigger and then pull it and the hammer falls.

I marked where the bolt stops, pulled the recoil spring, and moved the bolt up to the mark by hand. I can feel the bolt is over the hump of the hammer so it's not hanging up there. When the bolt is hung up, if I pull the charging handle back just far enough the trigger bar drops ever so slightly and the bolt will go into battery.

One last thing I noticed was if you put slight pressure forward on the trigger, it will hang up every time.

To recap the whole thing:

Depressed trigger = bolt never hangs up
Trigger not being touched = random hang ups, 1-5 out of 10
Forward pressure on trigger = bolt hangs up every time.

So, do I have a bad part (trigger bar, etc)? Or do I need to do a complete disassembly, clean and lube?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Sounds like something internal has been tweaked. These things are made so you really shouldn't ever need to do a complete tear down for cleaning. I know my old one had over 6,000 rounds through it before I did a deep cleaning. Maybe an internal pin is bent or broken?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opened up the Subbie to see what was going on. The bolt was hanging up on the trigger bar. The tab that rides the side of the bolt was falling in too far and going under the bolt in front of the "ramp" (or whatever you want to call it). Now I need to figure out why and what needs to be done to fix it. I'll take some pictures if I can and post them up.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Yes, the hammer is cocked. When looking down the tube receiver the hammer looks crooked. I've seen other members post similar pics with the same problem. I never have a problem with my early gen1 S2K.
I've tried the old wooden dowel trick so many times I am sick of trying. Now it sits in the safe in pieces....

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
IIRC the last time someone reported the hammer being crooked it was a broken hammer axis pin. You may need to pull it apart and check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.